Topic: How do you scrap a car with no engine?

Friend of mine has a '95 E300D Mercedes that was wrecked, and we pulled the engine and trans out of it. We didn't know this at the time, but none of the wreckers he's talked to will come get a car without an engine in it. Not unless you pay them, apparently. Has anyone had luck with this? If you haul it to the scrapyard yourself, will they just take it?

Re: How do you scrap a car with no engine?

Cut it into pieces. At some point, the car becomes so much scrap and there are plenty of scavangers who would be happy to take it in pieces.
This was the sad fate of our four donor tbirds I parted out after every POS part I could sell was pulled off of the husks.

Q: Is this the same chassis that is being sold for $500 in houston w/o an engine smile?

That's one way to getting rid of it - convince someone it'll be a great racer smile

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Either haul it to the scrap yard yourself or cut it into 40-50# pieces.

so long as you have a title, call the metal scap places and see who offers the most for  an UNCRUSHED car. Scrap prices are down right now.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Pick-n-Pull doesn't care what it is. Not sure if there's one around you, but I junked a CRX sans nearly everything with them here in San Jose. They didn't give me much for it $130 IIR, but that's better than paying for it to be hauled somewhere. And they picked it up.

I also know that, at least at the San Jose PnP, you can just roll up with a car and paperwork and they'll take it. But they do require some kind of paperwork - either pink slip or some other legal forms that say you have the right to sell it to them.

Yeah, that's it on Houston Craigslist. The owner may have been more than a little optimistic when making that listing.

The only local pick-a-part yard says they won't come get anything without an engine in it. I didn't speak with them, but I can't imagine they wouldn't take it if you dragged it there yourself. The independent wreckers that the owner called told him they wouldn't take it either. Luckily, we have a flatbed trailer. It'll be a pain in the ass to load with only two wheels, but I think it's the only option left.

Good point on the metal scrap yard, Baron. I know last time I made a scrap run I saw a pile of crushed cars there. If LKQ somehow refuses to take it, that'll be the last option.

They will take it and pay something if you show up at their doorstep with the appropriate paperwork... Well at least they will in these parts.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

scrap price is waaaaay down though

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

My local place, you would still get 250 for that shell just due to the weight.  Last no engine I scrapped, I tossed a engine block in the interior for them that was junk.  Dropped it in Via sunroof.

I hauled a Jetta shell to the metal scrapyard last year they gave me like 200 for it, thats your best bet.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

SpaceFrank wrote:

Yeah, that's it on Houston Craigslist. The owner may have been more than a little optimistic when making that listing.

The only local pick-a-part yard says they won't come get anything without an engine in it. I didn't speak with them, but I can't imagine they wouldn't take it if you dragged it there yourself. The independent wreckers that the owner called told him they wouldn't take it either. Luckily, we have a flatbed trailer. It'll be a pain in the ass to load with only two wheels, but I think it's the only option left.

Good point on the metal scrap yard, Baron. I know last time I made a scrap run I saw a pile of crushed cars there. If LKQ somehow refuses to take it, that'll be the last option.

take it to a crusher, they will pay better.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

tSoG wrote:

scrap price is waaaaay down though

We got $6/100 on Saturday.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Put a Type 4 engine and transmission in the back, cage it and race it. Pffft scrap!

cut it up into a bunch of small parts, load it inside a big van. head to the dump and claim the van is loaded with scrap metal (no fee to dump metal) shove it out and speed away