Topic: What's the On Fire, Now What forum for?

This one was actually suggested by a Lemons racer, who races a Mustang II and participates on a forum for GM diesels. Somewhat not surprisingly, this gentleman is a connoisseur of all things roadside assistance.

He told us that the GM diesel forum (not to be confused with the 4-6-8 forum--all of those members have killed themselves) has a section where you can ask for spare parts help, repair instructions, torque specs--hell, even a ride from the side of the road where your 350 diesel has melted into metallic goo.

This idea has obvious potential in the Lemons community--if you're at a race and you have no idea which torque converter will work for your Dodge Magnum, or if you've called every last meth addict on Craigslist and still can't find the replacement Capri parts you need, you can post here and maybe the LeMonsphere will be able to help.

And, hopefully, if you're not at a race, maybe you can take a peek on race weekends to see if anyone is in a bind.

If it works, it'll be like the Thanksgiving Butterball Turkey hotline, without the experts, but with a similar amount of fire.

Nick
Lemons HQ

2 (edited by TrenchFoot 2015-06-01 08:31 PM)

Re: What's the On Fire, Now What forum for?

Thanks for the flattering callout Nick. Since my daily driver is a textbook example of AMC build quality (78 Wagoneer), you put my dependance on roadside assistance mildly.

I figured this forum could help 2 kinds of folks:

1. teams that are truly boned and need help researching or finding something from a track in BFE with crap for cell coverage

2. bench racers that need something "productive" to do on a Saturday night

I know I fall into group 2 more often than I should. And I suspect our Mustang II will put me squarely in group 1 soon enough.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

Amazeballs. When our LeMon needs help during a race, we're usually F'd. Racing a 4000 lb German tank filled with early 90s computing power might have something to do with it.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Good idea!
My brother and I do this when either of us is racing, It's so much easier to find parts from home than at the track with sometimes sketchy cell phone reception.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Is there a way to "subscribe" to this forum and get an e-mail alert when there is a new topic?  That way, the desperate will get quick responses.

Damn! I thought this topic was gonna be a how-to for drivers of burning cars.
MIght have been useful for one of my past A&D drivers.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I may have finally found something on the interweb worth figuring out how the RSS feed thingy works.

Great idea!

rlchv70 wrote:

Is there a way to "subscribe" to this forum and get an e-mail alert when there is a new topic?  That way, the desperate will get quick responses.

Yep, its at the top next to the RSS link.

We've used our FB page successfully in the past for this sort of thing, but not intentionally. At Sonoma in December 2013 our u-joint failed on our T5 trans-to-Volvo rear end driveshaft. We tried a parts store u-joint but it didn't quite work right and our driveshaft fell out of the diff onto the ground. Race over, right? We'd towed 3,500 miles from Vermont only to have the prospect of turning something like 40 laps. Of course we posted this bad news on our FB page.

One of our FB page's fans in New Hampshire went on to the Rally Anarchy forum and found a guy in Novato, CA that rallies Volvo 240s. He had the exact driveshaft we needed less than 10 miles from the track. He got the guy's contact info and we pulled the driveshaft out of his rally car (which was being rebuilt from a rollover wreck in the previous season) at his shop at 10pm on Saturday night and made the green flag on Sunday morning and raced all day.

Lemonati helping Lemonati cross-country style FTW. Great addition to the forums, Nick.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

This forum is the best idea ever.

Love,
Frequently Hosed

skivittlerjimb wrote:

We've used our FB page successfully in the past for this sort of thing, but not intentionally. At Sonoma in December 2013 our u-joint failed on our T5 trans-to-Volvo rear end driveshaft. We tried a parts store u-joint but it didn't quite work right and our driveshaft fell out of the diff onto the ground. Race over, right? We'd towed 3,500 miles from Vermont only to have the prospect of turning something like 40 laps. Of course we posted this bad news on our FB page.

One of our FB page's fans in New Hampshire went on to the Rally Anarchy forum and found a guy in Novato, CA that rallies Volvo 240s. He had the exact driveshaft we needed less than 10 miles from the track. He got the guy's contact info and we pulled the driveshaft out of his rally car (which was being rebuilt from a rollover wreck in the previous season) at his shop at 10pm on Saturday night and made the green flag on Sunday morning and raced all day.

Lemonati helping Lemonati cross-country style FTW. Great addition to the forums, Nick.

There are some days when spending too much time on the inter web and having a "junk drawer brain" comes in very handy for other people. This was one of them.

Great idea. I'd recommend some kind of suggested format for topic titles, like [RaceName], [Car Number/Model], [Problem]. For example:

BFE GP, 1964 Dodge Dart #13, MELTED A904 TRANNY SHIFT CABLES!?!?!?!?!?

I just checked, and that line is right at the character limit for topic names. Should work.