1 (edited by Sonic 2015-12-10 09:55 AM)

Topic: SA2015 Helmets

Has anyone started shopping for these yet or bought one?  I'm trying to get one for Chrissy for Christmas, and am looking to get one that's a bit nicer than the $300 Pyrotects we have been using forever, though my 2010 ProAir Flow is really nice for the price and I'm quite happy with it.

I'm trying to keep this in the $500-$800 range.  Light weight is always great, but other things like adjustable interior pads to make sure it fits right are nice, as are ways to integrate the radio system (like cutouts for the mic, etc) we use, or hydration.  No need for a duck bill or spoilers or integrated air systems or whatnot.

I've so far been looking at the:
Pyrotect Pro Ultra: http://pyrotectstore.com/product/pro-ul … it-sa2015/
Bell M8 Carbon: http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m-8-carbo … ng-helmet?
Zamp RZ-44C: http://www.jegs.com/i/Zamp-Helmets/970/ … Id=3498497
-Has anyone heard of Zamp before?
-Anyone had a chance to try or see any of these yet? 
-Other options I should consider?

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Re: SA2015 Helmets

Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up.  Giesela and I are in the market for new helmets as well. 

Hamsa

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

I just got (about 3 months ago) A Bell Dominator2. Great helmet, super comfortable and pretty cool (we don't run a cool suit and air temps were about 30 degrees C) with good ventilation. Comes with M8 threaded holes for HANS posts too. I use it with a Simpson Hybrid Restraint.

Not sure if it fits your budget but it was about $1100 Australian which works out to be about $800 US.

Rusty

Chris,

Few things to keep in mind, firstly while many SA2015's are on sale its possible you won't get one by Christmas, some of the manufacturers had production issues.  I ordered my helmet a couple months ago, still don't have it.  What is that helmet?  A Zamp.

The helmet you have seen me use is a B2Z which is Zamp, Zamp and Bell are essentially the same company with Zamp being European Bell designs sold in the US.  Very confusing I know but made in the same factory and excellent helmets.  I found the european fit to be better for my head.  I bought the RZ-43 2015 helmet which is identical to the RZ-44 you have there but its not Carbon Fiber.  Note that they do run kind of small, for example I run an XL and I don't feel my head is that big (well physically anyway lol).  The helmet has a hydration hole and removable air scoops for cooling.

Overall highly recommended by me for your better half!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Both myself and a teammate use Zamp helmets - I use a SA2010 Zamp FSA-2 Air; my teammate uses an SA2005 non-air Zamp (he is also looking for a new helmet).

http://www.jegs.com/p/Zamp-Helmets/Zamp … 9/10002/-1  <--  helmet I have...

Quite frankly I bought because it was a cheap SA2010 helmet.  Yep, it's made in China - and it took close to a year for the made in China smell to fade.  It is stickered SA2010 but being made in China, in the back of my mind, I'll always wonder if it will REALLY perform as designed.  I'm not sure of any helmet in the sub-$500 range that is not made in China so maybe it's a mute point anyway...

The helmet fits me fine, the air function is cool (pun intended wink  ) and for being cheap it seems well made.  I did have to drill my own holes for Necksgen posts but that was not a huge deal.  I have not tested it for real (and hope I never do) but so far so good.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

A guy on our team wanted the Zamp helmet but 2 came from summit damaged(cracked) in shipping and we decided if UPS could break them I wasnt sure we wanted them on his head.

But they did have a lot of good features and fit him well.

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

OK so Chrismahankwanzakah time is here ... tons of us need new helmets (we are old and our helmets are out of date) ... we waited for the SA2015 spec ... and I'm not seeing a ton of people posting about their new helmet or deals on and SA2015's ....

Anyone find anything or buy anything you would recommend? 

I'm not interested in your $1500 stilo (OK I like that but I don't have that kind of scratch!)

Where are the affordable SA2015s?

Is there anything out there that is on the lighter side with out me needing to sell sperm?

Am I a dork for wanting the Bell Vador because starwars?
http://www.saferacer.com/bell-vador-sa2 … ng-helmet?

oh great Lemons hive brain!!! Help me out!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

I went with pyrotect, since my 2005 fits well and there are no places to go and test fit others.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I went with a SA2010 (Impact SuperCharger with cold air), I got more helmet for my money than I would have for a SA2015 and looking at the inside my SA2005 with four years of Lemons use I don't want to use the same helmet for 10 years!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

10 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2015-12-11 09:50 AM)

Also, Lucky Dog has a deal with Pyrotect, 20% off.

Luckdoghelmet20

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Jeff,

There's already a thread going on over here. 

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=31867

(And I think you two know each other...;-)

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Thanks Hamsa.

Sorry about my friend, he's a little slow.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

13 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2015-12-11 09:51 AM)

I just ordered one from Pyrotect, as I know their sizing.

Forget the model, but was 379, IIRC, plus a 20% discount with Lucky Dog racing.

Luckdoghelmet20

Well what the hell is that all about?!?   Consider me stupid and continue the conversation there!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

Hello All,

So far, I have been striking out actually getting an SA2015 helmet that I want.

For the SA2015 helmets, Arai and Bell are ORDERABLE now, but they are not actually going to be IN STOCK for a while.

I've had conversations with both Saferacer and Wine Country Motorsports, and basically:

Arai - No XL sized SA2015 helmets until April 2016 (I think smaller sizes may be available)

Bell - Some of the existing styles are available, but for new models (which includes all the carbon fiber helmets), they aren't expected until January (Wine Country) or mid-late February (Saferacer) but neither seemed particularly confident about their dates

From what I have been told, the fit of the helmet depends on the shape of one's head as viewed from the top. According to Wine Country:

Arai and Stilo - tend to fit people with more oval head shapes
Bell - tend to fit people with more round head shapes
HJC - kind of in between oval and round

I was looking through helmets the other day,doing some pricing.

Not in stock yet, but very good pricing.
G-force GF3 Full face $250
               CF3 Carbon  $350 

In stock helmets - (According to my vendor, there may be additional)
Simpson - All models but Air enforcer shark, venator, Voyager
Impact
Racequip
Stilo
Bell - Only Dominator 2, Vador, Sport, Sport Mag currently available.

Good Pricing
Racequip Pro15 Side Air $250  (blower setup)
Racequip Pro15        $200

Captain- PDank Pedal Pushers
Popped my LeMon at Chubba Cheddar 2013
'96 Camo Cavalier
www.facebook.com/pdankracing

17 (edited by billybobster 2015-12-16 11:01 PM)

mhane3 wrote:

Hello All,

So far, I have been striking out actually getting an SA2015 helmet that I want.

For the SA2015 helmets, Arai and Bell are ORDERABLE now, but they are not actually going to be IN STOCK for a while.

I've had conversations with both Saferacer and Wine Country Motorsports, and basically:

Arai - No XL sized SA2015 helmets until April 2016 (I think smaller sizes may be available)

Bell - Some of the existing styles are available, but for new models (which includes all the carbon fiber helmets), they aren't expected until January (Wine Country) or mid-late February (Saferacer) but neither seemed particularly confident about their dates

From what I have been told, the fit of the helmet depends on the shape of one's head as viewed from the top. According to Wine Country:

Arai and Stilo - tend to fit people with more oval head shapes
Bell - tend to fit people with more round head shapes
HJC - kind of in between oval and round

Sounds very much like my experience. I went into Wine Country at Sonoma. My SA2005 is an XL Bell M4. But now, the Bells (as of the SA2010's) just don't fit me - they are too round. I've got an oval head - an "Arai head." I was told that Arai XLs are not available - I'm on list to call when they come in. Arai L is simply too small and there weren't any Arai XL SA2010's to even try on. Arai and the other helmet makers are focusing making the sizes they sell a lot of and that isn't XL.

Any ideas out there, oval headed brothers?

FYI - Both Audi Club North America and Hooked On Driving have announced they will allow SA2005 helmets during 2016, reason not stated but it clearly got to be because of helmet availability problems. Both are organizations that are very tight assed on safety. Didn't this same helmet availability hoo-hah happen in 2011 with the SA2010's?

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I just received my Pyrotect.  Very nice, fits better than my 2005 I bought through Lemons.

I think it took 5 days after ordering to receive.

19 (edited by littleturquoiseb 2015-12-17 02:11 PM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I just received my Pyrotect.  Very nice, fits better than my 2005 I bought through Lemons.

I think it took 5 days after ordering to receive.

That was right through Pyrotech?

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

Here are the details of the ZAMP 10% rebate if you buy a helmet and their new Head and Neck Restraint by Dec 31st. 

http://www.jegs.com/rebates/zamp/rebate.jpg

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

I ended up getting Chrissy the Zamp RZ-44c.  Carbon fiber, adjustable padding, earmuffs, hydration and comm holes, and the fit of them is supposedly good for her head shape.  From what I can tell, it won't ship until at least 12/21, but that is sooner than many.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Didja just ruin her Christmas present? 

I'm rather sure I'm going with the Zamp RZ-42 ... 44c if Santa brings me enough duckets!
The removable/cleanable liner sold me!   

Gotta finger out if I have a round or oval head!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia

I've been doing some web researchin'...

So what I've got so far...

Oval head: Stilo, Arai, HJC, Simpson

Round head: Bell

Pyrotect and Zamp - TBD

Please contribute on more brands or confirm/deny what I've got so far. From personal looking Bell definitely round, Arai definitely oval.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Not ruined, she doesn't read the forum, and she asked for the new helmet.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

No data on SA2015 helmets, but I use a Pyrotect Pro Airflow SA2010 from the Lemons store's "Slightly Better Everything" kit. My oval-headed teammate Bob uses a Bell SA2010. Both of these helmets give us issues with pressure on the center of the forehead (helmet being too round). According to Bob, the Pyrotect is worse on his head than the Bell. Given that, I'd say the Pyrotect is at least as "round" as the Bell. Maybe more so, or maybe my helmet's padding is just not as good.