Topic: Imitation Swanga/84/Elbow Hub Caps (Wheel Covers)

I don't know where else to ask about this. Any online search string that includes "hub caps" or "wheel covers" inevitably includes actual wheels, and I don't want to spend $2,000 on a set of custom rims for what is effectively a joke to be used on a parade/art car. I know these snap-on swanga-style hub caps exist, because I've seen them all over Houston on cars driven by people who wish they could afford actual wheels with similar levels of poke. I just don't know where to buy them, because I was raised as a middle-class white person. Does anyone know where you buy these things? Or if there is a specific name for them so I can refine my search?

Re: Imitation Swanga/84/Elbow Hub Caps (Wheel Covers)

I think you've got most of the common names. Waco had Hubcap City, which was a goldmine of used hubcaps and pimptacular wheels. Seriously, I'd start by looking for a used hubcap place in town.

Sajeev did an awesome piece on these a while ago, IIRC--he might be another person to ask if Phil doesn't chime in.

3 (edited by billybobster 2016-02-28 02:16 PM)

Re: Imitation Swanga/84/Elbow Hub Caps (Wheel Covers)

Wow, this is a hard one. I pride myself on my Google-fu, sometimes it's a key part of my work. But I are getting nothing. I can find videos and pictures of swanga/elbow hubcaps, but nowhere to buy. (I'm not from Houston so at least now I know what those "James Bond device to cut your tires" wheels are called.)

Maybe they're just not a good fit demographically with e-commerce. You might have to resort to old school techniques. You could try calling a place that sells the wheels and ask them. Or even call an auto parts or tire store in an area with a high swanga density. Good hunting.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).