101 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 03:42 PM)

Re: Corvair Build Thread (Transcontinental Drifters)

Fired the car up this weekend, oil pressure good, smoked a little bit (that term is relative for a Corvair owner), but no huge drama. Installed the shocks last night, did a little cutting and welding, nothing too severe.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXcXAzQ01kMjZraG8
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXLXVSdmpXRVlIZU0

I still hope the 9.5" Firebird wheels clear. The red dust boot means "speed".

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

If the red dust boot means "speed", then the blue masking tape must mean "reliability"

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

103 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-03-29 08:58 AM)

The blue tape means "I'm not sure if these are going to work, don't scratch them, so they can be returned".

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

Ah, makes sense...
For us, tape typically means "fixed, now get back out there!"

Silversleeves Racing

swindrum wrote:

Ah, makes sense...
For us, tape typically means "fixed, now get back out there!"

On those applications, we usually use a gray tape, but I guess it comes in all colors and even some patterns. I like the Mac 'N Cheese one. I'm sure tSoG only uses Bacon.

106 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-04 09:52 AM)

UPDATE!

The Jagvair moved, all parts work together to make forward and reverse motion. I had to plug the front circuit on master cylinder because the front brakes are not mounted yet, but the rears worked smashingly. I think I fixed the fan short and had to shorten the sway bar slightly because of interference. Short list this week: front caliper mounts, front splitter, and double check everything. I plan to take it out this weekend for a good old shakedown after it gets registered. That's right, you may see the Jagvair on a public road near you, keep your eyes peeled. If PNW falls through this year, the Jagvair will be making "the start" of the LeMonally (with my wife following in an air-conditioned chase truck, that has a radio, and cruise control, and windows).

Bravo!

Silversleeves Racing

108 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-12 12:16 PM)

The Jagvair v2.0 took its maiden voyage Sunday night on our typical test route (down to church and back). Everything worked great! No weird sounds or smells. The Jagvair is now legal and may be seen on a PNW street near you. Full race test this weekend as the Jagvair will be driven by anyone willing to drive it. Just have a few things to finish: window net, front splitter, and give it the once over. 23 year old motor gets a new water pump, fresh fluids and a oil temp sensor, Happy Birthday XJ6!

109 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 03:43 PM)

Well, here is the recap from the two day test: 225 laps, sidelined for 90 min with a bad brake light switch, and no one hit anything. Jagvair purred like a kitten and responded well to the new front off-road shocks. We are coming for you, people North of the Columbia, think Canadian Bacon. Yeah, John Candy and Rhea Perlman, things just got real.Okay enough trash talk. I look forward to competing in our vehicular arena this fall against everyone willing to honor their hard work with a weekend of gentle(person)ly banter with everything ending Tickety-Boo. See you at the Ridge in August. Lemons is the best. I would like to thank my wife for running to get bulbs and then a belt and not divorcing me.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXQmNxZHcxVGVGcG8

Thanks to Steve and Jeff for great first time driving, even in the rain! Though they make me look like a fat pig. Summer resolution, ride my bike more. Weight loss is speed found. 30 lbs is three hp. The new water pump is making a weird noise (used the old screwdriver to the ear) and the pressure switch on the brake system stopped working.

Would they not let you race with your fancy hood ordainment?
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/13012884_1023946657684838_3383495826791212570_n.jpg?oh=298b3d07acf49cd2bbae8e6d44861994&oe=57A721DF

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

111 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-25 06:58 PM)

Maverick74 wrote:

Would they not let you race with your fancy hood ordainment?
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/13012884_1023946657684838_3383495826791212570_n.jpg?oh=298b3d07acf49cd2bbae8e6d44861994&oe=57A721DF

It has not been properly secured yet. Need to add reinforcement to hood and cage. Last thing I want to do is lose our mascot on the track. It was interesting that people would come up to the car, look around to make sure their friends were not watching, and then take a picture. If you look closely, you can see the 18 sticker on the plates, drove the car to the gas station to fill it up, first time in 36 years.

112 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-26 08:05 AM)

Thanks to Eddie and Curt from O Cheeses and John and Mike from Speedchimp Racing for help getting the cat back on track. Thanks to Teri for keeping us fed.

On my way out the door this morning noticed water dripping from above the front crossmember, probably just a hose from Jaguar's 10 port water pump. I will keep you posted.

114 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-05-26 02:30 PM)

Team member texted a 2nd Gen RX7 buried in blackberry bushes. I told him I would pull it out if we put the '64 Corvair Monza drivetrain in it.

Just. Fooking.  Awesome.

Changed the water pump on Thursday, noise is gone.  Noticed that the power steering puked all over the place. It is the story of the Jagvair: one of the two accessories is going to make noise, no fluids used during the race, but the car will purge water and/or PS fluid at home. Replaced the 56 year old taillights (socket would not ground and the wires were cracking) with the brightest 4.5" lights from the local big rig shop. Looking forward to building the adjustable a-arms (I still haven't figured out to adjust camber), the tires wore pretty evenly inside/outside at -2 deg. There was more meat in the middle, need to run more pressure next time. I need to mount the cat to the roof, it will be cool to see that thing above the pit wall going down the front straight.

Three months till PNW and the return of the Jagvair! Time to start working on the car. No big projects, just new numbers and mount the Cat. Try to figure out how to get more camber. I know how to adjust caster using upper ball joint shims, but haven't figured out camber. Anyone?

Went out to the garage and found that the EM-50 (Previa) had dripped gas on the Jagvair and peeled some of the paint off the left side of the car. No big deal. A much bigger deal is getting featured on the monthly company newsletter that goes out to all the employees. The article covered the Lemons racing history of the Jagvair and all the team members who have been involved. Now everyone at work knows I'm an idiot.

119 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-08-23 02:06 PM)

WHAT IS UP WITH TOP GEAR? Once I started watching the BBC version, the host goes all Wayne Brady on a producer and gets sacked. I start watching the USA version again. It is WAY better than before because Tanner has a personality now. I wait anxiously for the new BBC version and all I hear is Chris Evans, not the Captain America one, is destroying the show before it even starts again. Now I love TG USA  because the BBC TG is awful and TG USA GETS CANCELLED! Now I'm forced to watch BBC TG, which is improving on the shoulders of Matt LeBlanc, and he wants to quit because of non-Captain America Evans. And I have not even seen a episode of GRAND TOUR, and I might not get to because  I don't have Amazon Prime or whatever. FML!

It's like watching Doctor Who, I get into it, find my favorite Doctor (David Tennant) and favorite companion (Billie Piper). Then they screw it all up with Mickey! Don't EVEN get me started on the death of Astrid (Kylie Minogue).

Sometimes I don't think it is worth getting out of bed and putting on pants and finding my keys and unlocking the garage and turning on the lights and opening the door and putting the key in and turning it to on and flipping the ignition switch and flipping the fuel pump switch and pushing the starter button and breathing in the smoke cloud from the leaky valve seals and waiting for the idle to step down and listening to four litres of true original Brexit engineering.

And why isn't the Previa build thread as popular as the Corvair one? What's up with that? Are you telling me to NOT fix the van and race it and go directly to the Bisixual EM-50 configuration? What does it mean when one of your Hello Kitty fruit snacks is unrecognizable? is it a manufacturing defect or a new character only available in Japan?

PNW is in 60 days, stress is building.

Our team is now complete, we have added a guy named Chuck. We managed to fry the Corvair wiper motor and almost set the Jagvair on fire. He should fit right in.

YEAH! 25,000 Views! YEAH! Take that high school guidance counselor! Never amount to anything my ass! Now I can go get me some of that internet money! Thank you to all the idiots that have followed this sad endeavor and please stay tuned for even more bad engineering and poor financial decisions. I want to thank my wife, Rindee, for letting me pursue this racing hobby and patting me on the head and  telling me in a not so condescending voice that "At least you tried." She is so special and I am thankful to have found her. Now i'm headed off to the junkyard to find more race car parts.

I've picked up a wiper motor that may work. I'll bring it Sunday. How do you feel about Ford's?

Cstreeter wrote:

I've picked up a wiper motor that may work. I'll bring it Sunday. How do you feel about Ford's?

Cool see you then. The same way residents of Fordlandia felt.

124 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-08-11 10:21 PM)

Steve drove the Jagvair down to the church and back, the half moon created just enough light to not get hit while driving without headlights. I will never understand electricity, it is witchcraft. I was able to hook up all the new gauges in the dash, but when I went to wire in the "fan on" light, it all went haywire. The fans run through a relay and I have the switch wired on the low voltage ground side. The fans work great without the light but as soon as I wired in the light the fans come on as soon as you hit the master switch. You then turn on the ignition and the fans and light turn off and both work as I thought by turning on the switch. I am sure there is an easy fix probably related to which side of the relay I hook up the grounding switch, but it is late and I am tired. I'm going to eat some sushi while watching Doctor Who, two weeks to figure it out or just get rid of the stupid light. EGGS...EGGS...EGGS...EGGSTIR...EGGSTIR...EXTERMINATE!

125 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-03-17 03:45 PM)

I wrote this super awesome post about how Summit Racing and Rancho Shocks are terrific and how to weigh your car for $32, but I forgot to click the "remember me" box when I logged in and I lost all of it. So here is the condensed version.

One shock that fits the Jagvair is a Rancho RS9000XL from a Hummer H2 with a 4" lift. The shocks were purchased in February from Summit and raced in April (550 miles) at The Ridge. After the race the left shock does not respond the dial changes and acts like it is stuck on 1. I called Summit Customer Service and they are sending out a new shock in time for the PNW race and will pick up the bad shock the following week. That's cool. A warranty that actually warranties something and does not try to legal-eze out of issues. Good job Summit and Rancho, I will patronize you any chance I get.

Next I explained how to weigh your car using four $8 bathroom scales (Sunbeam) from Wally World, here are the high points:

1. Weigh car in level position (scales and cribbing should be as close to the same height)
2. Weight on scales should be evenly distributed (all readings on scales should be close to each other)
3. Four 300lb. scales are good for 1200 total lbs. (you can add or subtract scales as needed)
4. Use park or a parking brake or wheel chocks (safety first)

Here are the pics:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXNFdUT2t6QWprMXM
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXNmNaN3RfdVRSSU0
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXbXJ4cEVjS01aOEk

Take the sum of the four weights from the scales, that will give you wheel weight. Take sum of all four wheel weights, that will give you car weight. Take the sum of the front wheels and divide that by the car weight and multiply by 100, that will give front weight ratio, do the same for the back weight (using rear sum).

Now you can have neat racing conversations like "My car has 54/46 weight distribution" (better than GM did, even with that British boat anchor out front) and "My car is balanced within 20 lbs. side to side" (no driver, our driver swing is +/- one Scarlett Johansson). Now I do not know how these conversations relate to Lemons, but I am sure there is a Black Flag Penalty (using a bottle jack) in there somewhere.