1 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-07-25 11:15 AM)

Topic: Previa build thread (Transcontinental Drifters)

Welcome to the inaugural post of the Toyota Previa race van. The van is currently in need of a head gasket (hopefully) and this thread will cover this repair and the creation of a race vehicle. For those not familiar with the Previa, it is a four wheel drive egg with a PTO that runs the accessories off a slant four. It has a transfer case, live front and rear differentials and is also available supercharged.
Ours does not have forced induction, but think we can win by improving the front MacPherson strut and rear four bar link suspensions. Pics to follow,  but first I need to watch YouTube videos on how to get the head off. I'm sure most sections in the factory service manual start with "remove negative battery cable, followed by the engine".

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Re: Previa build thread (Transcontinental Drifters)

I'll bet you can't get the head off without pulling the engine-- it's pretty much lying on its side when installed.

3 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-05-29 11:10 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I'll bet you can't get the head off without pulling the engine-- it's pretty much lying on its side when installed.

I'm thinking I can by dropping the front of the engine (remove engine mounts) or removing it with the intake manifold attached. I may take it out to clean it. If I learn as much about the Slant 75 as I did about the Jag 4 litre, things should turn out great.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

4 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-09-26 09:49 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXVU1JSXZGVG80ckk

What do I win? No penalty laps? Get out of black flag free card? Free pit garage rental? Like that would EVER happen. I'm sure they are grading for a skeet shooting range right now.

I just jacked up the motor and removed the engine mounts and set it down on the engine support struts. Be sure the remove the oil filter mount and the water pump housing as they will hit the front crossmember. It was still a PITA because all the fasteners that secure the intakes are under the floor sheet metal (Think about changing a SBC intake gasket but you cannot open the hood and you can only gain access through the front grille).

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXUWtBd05sQ09adnchttps://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXanlJbHh4QmVFeEE

It was your textbook Previa head gasket failure, exhaust side of the #1 cylinder (notice how clean #1 is).  All in all, your typical Toyota engine, except the oil pan is on the side of the motor. I should have it back together in the next few days and then the interior gets stripped for racing! When you Google Previa make sure you add the word Toyota, if not you might get some birthing info instead. The team already nixed that idea for a theme. It's up for grabs.

Must convert to s/c. Because you can't fail with an awd supercharged 5-speed mid-engine minivan.

K Car Stalker

You forgot AWD....

firegremlin wrote:

Must convert to s/c.

If it survives the race it's getting converted to diesel.

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

What do I win? No penalty laps? Get out of black flag free card? Free pit garage rental? Like that would EVER happen.

I bet it's free pit garage rental at the ridge. But you will still have to front the security deposit. And build it. With your own materials.

Well finished the reassembly on the Previa and it still smokes. No water in the oil, which was the main problem (hydrolocking), and it idles and drives. Oh well. Mid-engine 4.0l here we come. Prevuar? Jagvia? For those asking, keeping it AWD, just need to make a tail housing for the ZF.

Prevuar.......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:

Prevuar.......

I'd say "Preguar" and they can circle back to the a fore mentioned birthing theme.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Drdanteiii wrote:
BigBird wrote:

Prevuar.......

I'd say "Preguar" and they can circle back to the a fore mentioned birthing theme.

Would there be an afterbirth penalty? Think of a dunk tank...oh I just grossed myself out.

but think we can win by improving

You win by racing Previa.

Sanctimoniously wrote:

but think we can win by improving

You win by racing Previa.

Well the "improving" thing didn't go so well.

15 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-09-26 09:54 PM)

Since the Corvair parts car was disassembled this weekend, I saw the opportunity to strip the Previa interior. Every time I wanted to move the Previa, I dreaded it because the inside was disgusting, I would roll down all the windows and bear the smell. I had to get rid of the seats and carpet and maybe start measuring for a cage. I may have fixed the coolant leak, I am not sure yet because I have been adding gallons of coolant, this time about a half gallon. I will take it up to temp next time I move it.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXenNxNGNGWDBJa1k

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXV3ZTdlVxSllzTVk

the links didn't work.  I'm excited to see it!  The Previa is going to be awesome for Lemons.  all that luggage room to bring tools, tires and beer for the whole weekend.  heck if you can get the stink out of it, you could put a cot inside and camp in it.
I'd be worried if you put the S/C on it, they might bump you out of class C into B......

jmas wrote:

I'd be worried if you put the S/C on it, they might bump you out of class C into B......

The dustbuster with the supercharged Buick 3800 did not get class B until it won class C (on its first race...a true 24 hours race no less).

OnkelUdo wrote:
jmas wrote:

The dustbuster with the supercharged Buick 3800 did not get class B until it won class C (on its first race...a true 24 hours race no less).

Haha nice!  I assume it won by more than just a couple laps..

jmas wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
jmas wrote:

Haha nice!  I assume it won by more than just a couple laps..

Yes, but not because of the speed itself.  Class C is all about staying on the track.  Their only mechanical failure that I remember was a broken throttle cable that Morrow was able to fix using one from out box of spares.  Conversely, our dustbuster melted a couple of calipers, and had to have a (very time consuming due to the design) PS hose replaced.

20 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2017-09-26 09:56 PM)

I do not think that with our theme, we will have any trouble staying in Class C.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXSHNzSW9jYmZlTlU

UAV ftw.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

Here are some updated photos, see you in a few weeks.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXUzdiMVBZa3lKdDg

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXVERvQmVubzdxS2c

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXa1l4aktiUHRtaXc

This thing is gonna DOMINATE! I look forward to seeing it (from my computer anyway).

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Premino?
Precharo?
Prepage?
Premigo?  (That is about the exact amount of roof my old Amigo had, I miss that little truck)

Can the rear side door still slide open?

It is blue and has a turbo, see you in four days!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bwd77mMKZxPXWWs5WWV6TGltNXM