Topic: GM 4.3 v6 serpentine to v belt

Figured this would be the place to ask this, has anyone converted a 4.3 v6 from serpentine to v belt accessory drive? The v6 is from a 94 s10, I have a drive setup from a mid 70's v8, but having issues with the crank pulley lining up, it's set in about a 1/4 inch. Don't know if I need a different balancer or pulley?

Re: GM 4.3 v6 serpentine to v belt

My first suggestion would be to just shim it out, using washers if need be.

I wonder why you want to switch to a v-belt setup?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

My first suggestion would be to just shim it out, using washers if need be.

I wonder why you want to switch to a v-belt setup?

I thought that too, but don't you need the center hole to align it with the crank? The guy I got it from wanted the serpentine setup for his hot rod, and it's cheaper to use stuff I have lying around then to buy the stock brackets from a junk yard, like $70 per bracket...

Is the pulley held in by the crank bolt, or just the bolts to the balancer?  Either way, I'd think there would be enough threads on the center bolt that spacing the pulley out a 1/4" with washers between the balancer and the pulley would not cause a prolem.

You could advertise here for a serp setup.  I just think they are more reliable.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Well ended up getting a cheap eBay mid mount setup and seems like it will work