Topic: How to not die in the heat

I live in Tucson. We had a heat wave last weekend that killed several people, a few of whom should have known better. The Lemons Rally is, by definition, placing people with unreliable cars into conditions that will kill us. I thought I'd pass along a few pointers for staying alive in case your car breaks down and there's nothing round for many miles, and no cell service.

Make sure you have at least three gallons of drinkable water per human in your car at all times. Drink it!
Piss clear. That means to drink enough water to ensure that you are not dehydrated. You will know because your piss is clear.
Beer and Coke do not count as water, as they are diuretics and will dehydrate you. Go easy on these liquids.
Bring along some shade, in case you need to sit next to your car for a few hours while waiting for help or doing repairs. Cars are really bad for providing shade. A heavy sheet and a couple poles, and some attachment method to the top of your car, can be a lifesaver.
Bring folding chairs also. You don't want to sit on the 162 degree asphalt.
Bring salty snacks also. Lack of salt due to sweating it all out will kill you, even if you have enough water.

Enjoy the weather!

Re: How to not die in the heat

Also -

Don't drive the K across the Mojave.  Unless you're the kind of person who likes that sort of thing.  Then godspeed!

anyone used that? http://vat30.com/image/cache/data/CCC/WATER-SPRAY-FAN-1000x1000.PNG
and turned into an asian while at it?

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I'm seriously considering getting a Spot Emergency Beacon before the rally.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

All good advice.  The only thing I'd add is to hydrate well beforehand, and keep in mind that salt can be used to help with hydration.  Salt helps with water retention.  So, if you know you're going to be baking in the sun tomorrow, have a salty dinner and drink a lot of water at dinner the night before.

If people have cool suit setups in their racecar, it would be a good idea to bring them along in the rally.

bs

Ditto on the hydration both during and beforehand. Dehydration and heat exhaustion will creep up on you.

A friend of mine got bad heatstroke during a recent camping trip. He wasn't feeling well during the day (mostly dehydration, it turns out), so he went off to take a nap in his tent, in the middle of the day in a Texas summer. He proceeded to sweat out so much water while he was asleep that when he woke up that evening, he was too weak to move. We didn't find him until the next morning when someone heard him calling for help from his tent. At that point he felt so sick he couldn't hold down water, so somebody drove him to the emergency room.

When he still showed symptoms of dizziness and disorientation after getting plenty of IV fluids and rest, the doctors started running tests. A few days later, they found a small lesion on his brain. Prognosis looks pretty good, but... still. Brain damage, y'all.

Anyway, drink your water.