Topic: Dodge Journey Power Steering

The power assist on the wife's Dodge Journey quit working.  56k miles.  There's fluid in the reservoir, belt on the pulley and no apparent fluid leaks or noise.  It's the weirdest thing.  I would expect something to be gushing oil or covered in grease but it's all good just no workee.  Since I can't see or hear anything apparently wrong and I'd hate to just start replacing parts by guessing plus knowing that cars all generally have the same failure points, has anyone come across this?  I can see there's a recall for burst hoses but only for block heater cars and this one is from SoCal plus there's plenty of original looking fluid in the reservoir.  It may be my imagination but there may be like 2% assist turning left and zero to the right.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Re: Dodge Journey Power Steering

New rack.  Sounds like the pinion valve doohicky thing is bad.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Any chance this electrical if it has variable assist?  You did not give a year but guessing second gen.

Its a 2013

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

the shaolin wrote:

New rack.  Sounds like the pinion valve doohicky thing is bad.

So do you replace the doohicky or the whole rack?

Gone bye-bye

Can you see fluid movement?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:

Can you see fluid movement?

Its a remote reservoir so you can't see what's going on inside the pump.  I'm also a bit skeptical of a mechanical pump completely failing without making a significant racket but I've never taken a PS pump apart so I don't really know what magic goes on in there.

Gone bye-bye

If the remote can has 2 rather then 1 line there should be flow, if it has one line... well... still guessing.
While not your model specific I have seen pumps shear the shaft on the backs side of the bushing essentially leaving just a free spinning pulley, sometimes removing the belt will allow you to literally pull the shaft right out if this is the case (ASSuming you have a mechanical pump)

Most pumps I have dissembled look like a air tool motor vane design.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Yeah, it's a mechanical pump.  It also has electrical connections which leads me to guess that maybe they are redirecting fluid above X MPH for fuel economy or something.  If true, that would offer a reason for a sudden failure with no obvious cause/symptom.  I replaced the alternator a few months ago and fitting that serpentine belt is one of the more expletive producing should-be-simple automotive jobs I've done so I'm not looking forward to testing your pump theory.  Since same model cars all seem to fail in the same way, I thought maybe someone else has seen something like this.  I'm in the process of joining a Dodge Journey forum (I mean reeeeaaallly, a Dodge Journey forum?  The thing is as exciting as oatmeal) so we'll see what that hive has to say.

Gone bye-bye

cheseroo wrote:

Since same model cars all seem to fail in the same way, I thought maybe someone else has seen something like this.  I'm in the process of joining a Dodge Journey forum (I mean reeeeaaallly, a Dodge Journey forum?  The thing is as exciting as oatmeal) so we'll see what that hive has to say.

There is the problem...these are appliances so not enthusiast following (not a bad thing, actually suggest the vehicle regularly...best bang for the buck after incentives).  The failure is not common enough to have been found with my not inconsiderable google-fu so either no one diagnosis it themselves, or yours is an oddball failure.

Heck, our Dustbuster minivan has (sub)forum with enthusiasts...once this thing is 20 years old, someone will have a collection of internet knowledge on it.