Re: Pandering to Judge Phil on this one...

We opened up the "fresh" rebuilt engine and found a smaller than expected volume of mouse nest/turds/sunflower seed hulls.  Everything else looked well executed...valves opened and closed and the 30-over pistons moved up and down.  Engine dumped about the amount of assembly oil/lube you would expect and nothing more.

In a weird stroke of irony, the Explorer I had to dispose of with great difficulty not long ago could have donated wheels, front brakes AND a rear axle with disc brakes to the project.  Yeah, now hate my nosy neighbors even more.

So we are cruising the interwebs for a 1995-2001 V8 (future potential engine donor) Explorer/Mountaineer with a 3.55 axle for $500 or under...surprisingly not hard to find. This may come as shock, but many of them have transfer case issues or fared poorly in the snow through the Chicago winter (crunch!).  16" wheels preferred.

Every judge in Lemons knows that the Chrysler LH sucks. Class C will be no problem.

Judge Phil wrote:

Every judge in Lemons knows that the Chrysler LH sucks. Class C will be no problem.

We're not worried about what class we end up in.  We built this car for your amusement and you won't be there to enjoy our stupidity.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Don't worry, I'll be amused remotely. Anyway, you'll have solved the worst 15 of the car's 99 problems by the time I see it at Gingerman, which means I'll get to shoot photos of it running as well as in a million pieces.

Judge Phil wrote:

Don't worry, I'll be amused remotely. Anyway, you'll have solved the worst 15 of the car's 99 problems by the time I see it at Gingerman, which means I'll get to shoot photos of it running as well as in a million pieces.

lol

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Judge Phil wrote:

There are so many things about that statement that make me laugh.

My experience tells me this thing will have a For Sale sign in the front window at 10:15am on July 23, 2016...

...Gingerman in October!!!  HA!!!

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

57 (edited by mechimike 2016-05-20 09:01 AM)

A Chrysler LH would be a fine racing car.  Simply swap in an LA engine, 727 cogbox, and a decent rear axle.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

yukadas wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

My experience tells me this thing will have a For Sale sign in the front window at 10:15am on July 23, 2016...

Lot of confidence there captain. Wasn't this your idea? or was it mine? I don't remember. I don't think I want to remember......

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:
yukadas wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Lot of confidence there captain. Wasn't this your idea? or was it mine? I don't remember. I don't think I want to remember......

You don't remember?  Then, it was yours...all yours.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Free old 1956 Chrysler Poly 315 engine with transmission in NJ, I posted details in the parts section.

Yeah, still rooting for the old mopars.  S/F....Ken M

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5571103805.html

in case you want to double down...

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Seller wants $3500 for that one. That seems optimistic.

63 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-05-25 11:19 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Seller wants $3500 for that one. That seems optimistic.

Agreed.  Ours is in better shape if in pieces and I paid...exactly $500...as Judge Phi is watching.  I am so afraid of those penalty laps with our obviously cheater car.  I mean, we have independent front suspension and everything.

64 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-05-25 11:24 AM)

echosixmike wrote:

Free old 1956 Chrysler Poly 315 engine with transmission in NJ, I posted details in the parts section.

Yeah, still rooting for the old mopars.  S/F....Ken M

After pricing parts and whatnot, I think I will so have to pass.  Once we repower we are planning on going moderately modern so we can find anything we need in rural South Carolina Junk yards on a Saturday night.  I am honestly hoping we even go ODII EFI and some version of electronic ignition.  The parts of my brain I am trying to reactivate that remember how to set points and static time a car are not cooperating.

Besides, it is in Jersey I have sworn off the state for the most part...the locals are well pleased by this decision.

Just in case anyone thought we would not make this happen (including me)...

https://www.facebook.com/BadDecisionsRa … 327245736/

...the beast actually started this weekend for the first time in probably 30 years but at least 25!

Now we just have to take of...a gazillion and one things to have it ready by October.

Wonder what spare part availability for post-war Mopar is in rural Michigan on Sunday?