Topic: Min Age/License for a driver - Can a 16 year old Race ?

For California.. 

If the Kids 16, has their CA drivers license, but is restricted to just family members or on their own til they are 17.. 

Can they race Lemons ?,  with the appropriate parent waivers ?

the rule book just says valid license, im just wondering if a license with restrictions is ok..

thanks

btw: don't give me crap about young people, who should not be diving,  many of you old bastards should not be diving either :-)

Re: Min Age/License for a driver - Can a 16 year old Race ?

definitely a question for HQ. Email nick or jay directly

jay@24hoursoflemons.com
nick@24hoursoflemons.com

Spank wrote:

definitely a question for HQ. Email nick or jay directly

jay@24hoursoflemons.com
nick@24hoursoflemons.com

yep, i was going to email them, just figured the forum may know.. cheers

From the RULES....

2.2: Driver Eligibility: All drivers must have a valid US or International driver's license and a valid Lemons Competition Membership. Lemons Competition Memberships are good for one year from the date of purchase. No other competition licenses are recognized or reciprocated.
2.2.1: Drivers Under 18: Drivers under 18 years of age must get a notarized letter of permission from their parents or legal guardians. You might also want to ask said parents or legal guardians why they'd ever allow you to do this; it probably means they've been poaching your college fund.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I believe I've seen a few 16 year olds. they just need written approval of a legal guardian.

My personal opinion? Unless they've done a lot of karting, make them wait a year or two. I sure as shit didn't have any clue about driving in crowds or using my mirrors properly when I was 16. It was overwhelming just getting used to the car, learning how to judge distance, etc. I'm not saying they won't be ok, just that having that year of driving experience is going to help a lot.

Now, if you do decide that it's worth letting them try, I recommend some sort of marking on the back of the car. When my sister drove with us the first time we put a "First Time Driver" sticker on the back window to give a little warning to approaching cars. We then covered it when experienced drivers were in the car. We also coached her on how to drive predictably and safely. She's coming back for NH, and my brother will be driving for the first time as well. We'll do the same thing. Rookie sign in the back window (but this time with LEDs for easier on/off) just to help other cars know why our car is suddenly driving at a different pace.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I'm guessing this is for next weekend so it's probably too late but the kart track at Fontana Speedway has an Arrive & Drive program that would be good experience.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

There was "Team Jailbait" a few years ago at Buttonwillow with a bunch of minors driving and a "to catch a predator" dude. Found a writeup online.

http://mazdaracers.com/blog/12/entry-37 … -and-more/

kiwiracer wrote:

btw: don't give me crap about young people, who should not be diving,  many of you old bastards should not be diving either :-)

My diving skills have nothing to do with Lemons and I challenge you to prove otherwise!

My son started in Lemons at 16, rode dirt bikes from age 6 and played in my trucks on a farm ever sense he could shift the gears. Now he drives tanks and humvies. My daughter started Lemons at 17 with the same experience, just no tanks and humvies.

It Ain't My Fault

I think most NOOB drivers are a helluva lot LESS dangerous to society driving with us on the track in Lemons than on the highway. I welcome our clueless brethren, provided they understand they should watch and follow as I either A) attempt to take an alternate dry line in the wet, or B) grab second when I meant to grab fourth and say hello to Mr. Armco.

Really, this is better traffic and situational awareness practice than on the street. With roll cages and HANS devices. I think a Steve McDaniel NOOB school and a Lemons stint should be a prerequisite for a street license.  smile

I hope to get my kids on the track as soon as possible if they are interested, and fully agree with Fiasco that track driving is far better prep for street driving than any driver's ed program.

I'd probably start them with a few SCCA Autocross weekends to get a feel for a car at speed, that tire squeal is normal, what understeer and ABS/full braking feel like, and how to predict and LOOK AHEAD (the biggest thing on or off-track in my opinion) before a Lemons race in a class C car. But this will be at Lemon's 20th Platinum anniversary. Hopefully they'll hand out stolen catalytic converters to all participants to mark the occasion.