1 (edited by chaase 2016-10-18 06:37 PM)

Topic: GRover needs help!!!!!

HELP!!!!
  I am hoping someone out there can help. We finally got Grover running after it exploded at Thompson. We ran into a nasty problem. the water pump is leaking like a sieve. They are basically unobatinium.  Anyone have any ideas on where we can get one.  Anywhere in the Northeast will work!!!

1969 Rover P6 3500

HELP!!!!

chaase@optonline.net or 516-203-6940 for cell#

Technically not unobtainium. I can get one sent from the U.K. but that takes more time than we have

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Re: GRover needs help!!!!!

Ping AVA Restorations in Dublin, NH. Alex runs with the Overengineer'd guys, and if he can't find it, it probably can't be found.

(603) 563-8910

https://i.imgflip.com/gbkm7.jpg

oh no.

where is it leaking from? Please don't say through the shaft seal.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

You might try Ted at TSI in Ohio.  He's a self absorbed asshole but he has a good chance of having one.

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/index.html

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

TheEngineer wrote:

oh no.

where is it leaking from? Please don't say through the shaft seal.

I thought he said it was pouring out the weep hole. I'd have to double check if it matters.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Give Mark a call at D & D Fab.  He might have something :  http://www.aluminumv8.com/

I have a used long nose water pump from a 1980 SD1 It was okay when it came off the car many years ago.  I don't think I'd trust it for a race, but maybe it's rebuildable.  I can bring it to NH this weekend on the outside chance you can use it.

Absolute worst case, gut the water pump and hack together an electric pump?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

8 (edited by chaase 2016-10-19 07:26 AM)

snuffy wrote:

Give Mark a call at D & D Fab.  He might have something :  http://www.aluminumv8.com/

I have a used long nose water pump from a 1980 SD1 It was okay when it came off the car many years ago.  I don't think I'd trust it for a race, but maybe it's rebuildable.  I can bring it to NH this weekend on the outside chance you can use it.

That would be great if you can bring it. You never know what will happen and it may work.  We have a couple of irons in the fire locally right now.  If the local ones don't work out. Mark at D&D Fab is an option since I know they sell them. He would need to have it in stock and be able to overnight it to us. We have one guy calling them to see what they have.

TheEngineer wrote:

Absolute worst case, gut the water pump and hack together an electric pump?

That was one idea I already had and may be an option. We have a couple of leads for places in CT that we are investigating.

I hope you get it sorted. I'll come find you friday and see where you're at.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

11 (edited by chaase 2016-10-19 10:30 AM)

It looks like we are saved!

There is a place in Brewster, CT that has parts and they have something we can use. I'll find the link and post it up. They seem to have TONS of parts, including rear pads which is crazy,  and they are close to us.

Thanks for all the ideas and good thoughts folks. We'll see everyone Friday

Good to hear that you got it sorted out.  I'll bring the SD1 W/P to New Hampshire anyway.  We're the G&T Audi #49.  I'll try to track you down Friday.

I'd like to talk to you about this place in Brewster (NY?, right on the Danbury CT border?).  I have a Rover 3.5 liter converted MGB and it's good to know of a local source.

snuffy wrote:

Good to hear that you got it sorted out.  I'll bring the SD1 W/P to New Hampshire anyway.  We're the G&T Audi #49.  I'll try to track you down Friday.

I'd like to talk to you about this place in Brewster (NY?, right on the Danbury CT border?).  I have a Rover 3.5 liter converted MGB and it's good to know of a local source.

That seems to be a common swap. You should take a look at our car if you haven't swapped to a more sane carb set up. You are correct, it is Brewster, NY near the CT border. Manny will have the name of the place. We need to start looking there more often when things go wrong (which happens a lot when you have a Rover)

Chris

I was snooping around GRover last year at New Hampshire and spoke to Manny about the small block Chevy/Pertronix distributor swap that I did on my car. This year, we were paddocked near you guys at Thompson and saw GRover come in on the hook.  I saw the aluminum alloy bock carnage up close and personal.   Sorry to see that. 

We don't need no stinking' carbs!   I have an even less sane induction set up on the MG.  I reworked the  Lucas badged Bosch D-jet "Federal" EFI to fit under the hood.  If you guys really want to get exotic, I have an extra EFI manifold, plenum and flapper valve.  Pretty easy to megasquirt it.  I'm sure you find that tempting.   

I just put the W/P in the pile to be packed in the truck for the weekend. See you then.

Steve Mc