Topic: Retreat from Moscow 2017, who is going? and in what?

I am new to Lemons, I am hoping to start prepping a car (92? toyota paseo) given to me by a friend, run the rally and then finish with cage and seat if it survives the rally. If it makes it that far, running races in the northeast next season.

Who is going on this rally and in what? Anyone going to try camping/ sleeping in car?

Re: Retreat from Moscow 2017, who is going? and in what?

The plan is a 1990 Legacy Wagon.

The transmission is broken. The fuel system is LITERALLY held together with tape:
http://i.imgur.com/7MQYWcP.png

I'll probably fix that second thing. Not so much the first.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I'm tossing around the idea of camping. But I'm still not sure camping is something Americans do in the winter. And by camping I actually mean in a tent cause it's winter. That's just for the drive down, I don't know about on the rally itself. My experience at the last (other?) one was that it was super convenient to have hotels at or very near the finish line, guaranteed shower and collapsing into bed. (Although teams that didn't regularly check in at 2am may have had a different experience... lol). At any rate, acomodations with or near other rallyists is definitely a good thing.

I'm hoping again to bring my Niva down, although I don't know if I'll be able to make it happen. Discussing things with a potential codriver who seems really excited but maybe doesn't know what she's in for. (Does anyone? lol) But considering I was able to stand in the engine bay tonight I really need to get it back together. Hopefully soon... every time I try putting the engine back in I manage to break something else, and need to wait several weeks to ship parts from Warsaw Pact countries.

gogmorgo wrote:

I'm tossing around the idea of camping. But I'm still not sure camping is something Americans do in the winter. And by camping I actually mean in a tent cause it's winter.

It is relatively uncommon and checking to see that sites/parks/etc are open would be key.

In the dead of winter I prefer to camp in my metal tent (Volvo wagon) just for the lack of set-up time in the dark and guaranteed water-tight shell.

OnkelUdo wrote:
gogmorgo wrote:

I'm tossing around the idea of camping. But I'm still not sure camping is something Americans do in the winter. And by camping I actually mean in a tent cause it's winter.

It is relatively uncommon and checking to see that sites/parks/etc are open would be key.

In the dead of winter I prefer to camp in my metal tent (Volvo wagon) just for the lack of set-up time in the dark and guaranteed water-tight shell.

I would second the checking to see if campgrounds are open, many (most?) are seasonal in that part of the country (I have run into problems with not finding an open campground before).

I was thinking more along the lines of sleeping in the car on some nights, and getting a hotel some. Sleeping in the car, for me, may prove to be a bad idea for several reasons, not the least of which is running a 2 door coupe. You also seem to have more confidence in your car being weather tight than I do (mine may be fine but I haven't even pulled it out of the junkyard yet). That said, I'm going to try it unless i find a co-driver who wants to spring for hotels.

I am running the Retreat with a friend and future Lemons race teammate in my daily driver 2005 Buick LeSabre Limited. Sounds boring, but neither of us were particularly keen in trying to fix a hella-broke-ass hooptie in the parking lot of an AutoZone in Intercourse, PA at 2:00 AM in the middle of a snowstorm or a cold wave, so we're sticking with the (theoretically) much more reliable choice. We'll be starting our race planning at some point before the Retreat.

7 (edited by Shvd_Box 2016-11-18 09:10 PM)

Pending finding a co-driver and replacing an entire cooling system I'll be bringing a 1998 Cadillac Sedan Deville. If I don't get it up and running in time I'll be bringing my own mobile recall printing daily driver, a 2014 Ford Fusion

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

So far the plan is for the 93 Subaru, and likely sleeping in the back.  I got lucky last time, and was able to bum beds and couches from other drivers, but I never count on such things.

9 (edited by EyeMWing 2016-11-22 11:09 AM)

jimmystikx wrote:

So far the plan is for the 93 Subaru, and likely sleeping in the back.  I got lucky last time, and was able to bum beds and couches from other drivers, but I never count on such things.

Yay more pre-OBD2 Subaru. How many wheels does yours drive?

Team FinalGear

10 (edited by gogmorgo 2016-11-22 06:20 PM)

prentmarriner wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

I would second the checking to see if campgrounds are open, many (most?) are seasonal in that part of the country (I have run into problems with not finding an open campground before).

I was thinking more along the lines of sleeping in the car on some nights, and getting a hotel some. Sleeping in the car, for me, may prove to be a bad idea for several reasons, not the least of which is running a 2 door coupe. You also seem to have more confidence in your car being weather tight than I do (mine may be fine but I haven't even pulled it out of the junkyard yet). That said, I'm going to try it unless i find a co-driver who wants to spring for hotels.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of hotels for the rally itself. My experience on the last one proved that it's definitely an advantage to be staying in the same hotel as the judges.
Camping would largely be for the drive down and back — 1700 miles (potentially with an unrelated 2000 mile detour) and 1300 miles, respectively. It would also probably be more along the lines of pitching a tent in an interstate rest area than proper camping. I suppose I could attempt the same on the rally itself, but I don't much care for the idea.
The reasoning behind the tent is that the Niva is grossly inappropriate for sleeping in, and I don't expect I'll have time to build a proper quinzee, or adequate materials for igloo construction. Yes, I've camped at -40. The fact I'm posting on this board should already have made it clear that I am devious with my sanity.
Also if you get a proper tent it'll be much warmer inside than a car will be. Sleeping in cars in the winter just sucks in general.

When I say the Niva is inappropriate for sleeping, what I mean is that there's only eight feet between the firewall and rear hatch. The front seats recline, but not very far, especially when they're slid rearwards to accommodate feet in the footwells, and don't fold flat forwards either. The rear bench seat (which only accommodates two) only flips forwards, but not flat, and only if the front seats are slid forwards far enough they touch the dash (and they do slide that far forwards, I'm guessing an accident no one cared to correct). Throw in gear for the trip, and you pretty well end up with only enough space to sleep sitting up in the front seats,  or curled in a fetal position in the rear seat, or, should you remove the rear seat to increase the space, curled up in a fetal position in a slightly-larger cargo area.
Recent discovery of an old car hauler lost in the weeds at work has lead to me fantasizing about towing the Niva down with the MJ (the one that ran the other rally) which could open up greater sleeping in the vehicle opportunities, but becomes a logistics issue when the start and finish points of the rally are 1000 miles apart. I suppose I could enter them both and have my co-driver drive one... or get more co-drivers...

gogmorgo wrote:
prentmarriner wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

I'm pretty sold on the idea of hotels for the rally itself. My experience on the last one proved that it's definitely an advantage to be staying in the same hotel as the judges.
Camping would largely be for the drive down and back — 1700 miles (potentially with an unrelated 2000 mile detour) and 1300 miles, respectively. It would also probably be more along the lines of pitching a tent in an interstate rest area than proper camping. I suppose I could attempt the same on the rally itself, but I don't much care for the idea.
The reasoning behind the tent is that the Niva is grossly inappropriate for sleeping in, and I don't expect I'll have time to build a proper quinzee, or adequate materials for igloo construction. Yes, I've camped at -40. The fact I'm posting on this board should already have made it clear that I am devious with my sanity.
Also if you get a proper tent it'll be much warmer inside than a car will be. Sleeping in cars in the winter just sucks in general.

When I say the Niva is inappropriate for sleeping, what I mean is that there's only eight feet between the firewall and rear hatch. The front seats recline, but not very far, especially when they're slid rearwards to accommodate feet in the footwells, and don't fold flat forwards either. The rear bench seat (which only accommodates two) only flips forwards, but not flat, and only if the front seats are slid forwards far enough they touch the dash (and they do slide that far forwards, I'm guessing an accident no one cared to correct). Throw in gear for the trip, and you pretty well end up with only enough space to sleep sitting up in the front seats,  or curled in a fetal position in the rear seat, or, should you remove the rear seat to increase the space, curled up in a fetal position in a slightly-larger cargo area.
Recent discovery of an old car hauler lost in the weeds at work has lead to me fantasizing about towing the Niva down with the MJ (the one that ran the other rally) which could open up greater sleeping in the vehicle opportunities, but becomes a logistics issue when the start and finish points of the rally are 1000 miles apart. I suppose I could enter them both and have my co-driver drive one... or get more co-drivers...

In Soviet Russia, Niva sleeps in you!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MuWVQDsZLdk/UNg6U4ZKalI/AAAAAAAADUU/7Ixw56XDEbQ/s1600/mrussia.png

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've only got one.

73 Bronco coming from NC. It's not really at home on pavement, but none of our junk is I guess.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

14 (edited by EyeMWing 2016-11-28 07:47 PM)

I am 3 days and 40 man hours into the 1 day job of reconditioning the fuel system and the car is now apart and the damages tallied. I am currently placing a $100 order with McMaster to replace the totally roached fasteners (note that I'm ordering like 50 packs of things I need maybe 4 of), I've cross referenced a bushing kit that will probably fit (it's intended for a model 17 years newer), and I've just discovered this car has exactly ZERO cupholders.

Operation: I need a Cupholder has been bumped above "change the brakes".

With luck we'll get the 1 day job done by this coming Sunday and under 90 man hours.

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

I am 3 days and 40 man hours into the 1 day job of reconditioning the fuel system and the car is now apart and the damages tallied. I am currently placing a $100 order with McMaster to replace the totally roached fasteners (note that I'm ordering like 50 packs of things I need maybe 4 of), I've cross referenced a bushing kit that will probably fit (it's intended for a model 17 years newer), and I've just discovered this car has exactly ZERO cupholders.

Operation: I need a Cupholder has been bumped above "change the brakes".

With luck we'll get the 1 day job done by this coming Sunday and under 90 man hours.

Based on my Rally experience, cup holders are easily solved. The factory Jaguar ones just launch drinks into the back seat any time you accelerate hard enough to upshift above 3000 rpm. This needed correction en route. So, either get a few rolls of duct tape to place on the carpet (this only works with a carpeted floor, don't know how decrepit your rally car is) and set down your cans/bottles/glassware inside the roll of tape (the sticky edge against the carpet will hold even when taking an on-ramp corkscrew at 60 mph) or just stick to Perrier slim cans which can be jammed between seat and console in most any vehicle.

Speaking of cans and bottles, I don't imagine that they have Racer 5 IPA out east; I grabbed a case for the rally (1) because it was on sale (2) in homage to Cerveza Racing... Strong, tasty brew... They caution you to keep it refrigerated, I think they weren't kidding. It tasted worst in Palm Springs, finishing off the box, on the banzai run home from Monterey. I find this odd as the original purpose of the IPA style of brewing was to travel from England to India, via ship, most assuredly without refrigeration.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Cupholders were second on my list. Right behind weatherstripping which was nonexistent on any of my doors. 30° North Carolina air blowing up my pants leg  is one thing, but 24 inches of snow in -15° weather is another. I had bought a couple of generic plastic cup holders that counter sink into a flat panel. I built a box with two old 6 x 9 speakers and cupholders. I feel like I'm really ritzing up this old bronco.

17 (edited by EyeMWing 2016-11-30 09:36 AM)

Pennsylvania actually inexplicably gets a lot of really good beer. It also produces a lot of it. Same with NY. The rest of the trip will be a bit of a wasteland, AFAIK.

We'll be dedicating a bit of our wagon's space to dragging along home brew and aome other choice good shit.

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
jimmystikx wrote:

AWD, baby.  Well, once Ifix the clutch and stab a new driveshaft in it. x_x

EyeMWing wrote:

Pennsylvania actually inexplicably gets a lot of really good beer. It also produces a lot of it. Same with NY. The rest of the trip will be a bit of a wasteland, AFAIK.

We'll be dedicating a bit of our wagon's space to dragging along home brew and aome other choice good shit.

Asheville is pretty loaded with breweries.  It is kind of an upper class hippie retreat/retirement/artsy town.  It has really grown up in the past 10 years. 

Breweries:
Wicked Weed Brewing - 91 Biltmore St, Asheville
Burial Beer Co. - 40 Collier Ave, Asheville
Sweeten Creek Brewing - 1127 Sweeten Creek Rd, Asheville
Green Man Brewery - 23 Buxton Avenue, Asheville
Hi-Wire Brewing - 197 Hilliard Ave, Asheville
Highland Brewing - 12 Old Charlotte Hwy., Suite 200, Asheville
UpCountry Brewing Co. - 1042 Haywood Rd, Asheville
Wedge Brewing Company - 125B Roberts Street, Asheville
OysterHouse Brewing Company - 625 Haywood Rd, Asheville
Bhramari Brewhouse - 101 S Lexington Ave, Asheville
Asheville Brewing Company - 73 Coxe Avenue, Asheville
French Broad Brewing Co. - 101-D Fairview Road, Asheville
Twin Leaf Brewery - 144 Coxe Ave, Asheville
Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co. - 675 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville
Cedric's Tavern / Biltmore Brewing Co. - 1 Lodge St, Asheville
One World Brewing - 10 Patton Ave, Asheville
The LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewery) - 39 N Lexington Ave, Asheville

jimmystikx wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:
jimmystikx wrote:

AWD, baby.  Well, once Ifix the clutch and stab a new driveshaft in it. x_x

I'd trade your clutch and driveshaft job for my "let's re-plumb the fuel system" death slog.

Day 9. The tank is back in the car. Almost all the fuel lines exist.

Team FinalGear

Just got back from returning a set of harbor freight fog lights. I felt really cheap returning $15 lights because they didn't live up to my standards, but they were only slightly more effective than holding a bic lighter out the window.

Has anyone used any of the knockoff 7" round h4 conversion lights?  Looks like I can get Hellas for about $70. Wondering if that upgrade is better than a similarly priced set of fog lights.

What about an LED Light bar from eBay mounted somewhere? That's how I fixed the Cadillac since the pass side headlight is cracked and likes to fill with water

Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon

i'm about ready to donate this thing to NH Public Radio, unless you can give me a compelling reason to sign the title over to you!

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5875291906.html

fiasco wrote:

i'm about ready to donate this thing to NH Public Radio, unless you can give me a compelling reason to sign the title over to you!

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5875291906.html

This thing could kill someone... It needs to have a viking funeral and a ridiculous roadtrip such as this would be that. What's public radio going to do with it anyway?

I got great results from a pair of eBay "cree" LED bars, 7" I think, 12-3W LED's each, for a total of 72W. We're talking highly illegal levels of illumination there, and it was only around CAD$70 I think. I use them pretty frequently on back roads up here because moose. But if you're actually looking to cut through fog (or snow) with them, or drive anywhere there might be oncoming traffic, they definitely aren't what you're looking for, because someone will end up blind.