Topic: What the hell??

I got passed by a V6 swapped MR2, I can live with that
I got passed by a 300ZX with 1900 hp, I can live with that
I got passed by a Miata on crystal meth, I can live with that
I got passed by a 1995 Pontiac Firebird, I can live with that
I got passed by a 1978 Ford Fairmont, I can li...what wait? What the hell??

There was a ugly as hell 1978 Ford Fairmont doing 1.55 lap times at MSR Houston last race weekend, can someone explain this to me?
(The winner had a best lap time of 1.58, We did 2.01)

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Re: What the hell??

When you de-smog those old cars and apply some modern suspension bits.....yeah.

Ford Fairmonts are Fox Bodies, so if it makes you feel better you got passed by a mustang.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Every time it came up on me I thought it was the Rambler and thought "Sheeeeet" until it went past.

In the interests of full disclosure I was passed by the Rambler a couple of times too ...

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

Was it this one?
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMSR16/ … _7629.html
I believe it's powered by a DOHC 4.6l mod motor.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

It's been several years since I ran at ECR but there was a Fairmont with an DOHC? V8 that was fast and sounded cool as hell.  Wondering if it's that car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yeah, that car has a 4-valve (I think?) DOHC 4.6L from a Mark VIII or something. It's a beast. I think they killed the engine at MSR, though.

Maverick74 wrote:

Was it this one?
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMSR16/ … _7629.html
I believe it's powered by a DOHC 4.6l mod motor.

That is the one!!!!

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Don't feel bad.

My first race I got pass by a Ford Tempo.

A Ford .. Fuckin' ... Tempo....

After weeks of counseling and faster car, I feel better now. smile

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

That Brown car is always fast.  Should have seen his full size station wagon.  It was fast, too.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Don't feel bad for those cars passing you. We used to pass people ALL THE TIME in our 55 HP Geo Metro.  Now THOSE people should have felt bad. smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Don't feel bad for those cars passing you. We used to pass people ALL THE TIME in our 55 HP Geo Metro.  Now THOSE people should have felt bad. smile

I feel much better now knowing that I got passed by a Mustang with more than twice my horsepower (135 vs 280?)

Now my biggest annoyment is being passed by FWD cars, that I can tell my wife.
(#211, 91 Civic. Seems like a great car and/or drivers).

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Now that you feel better, to make you feel bad again, that several of the cars passed you because the drivers are better not the cars.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Now that you feel better, to make you feel bad again, that several of the cars passed you because the drivers are better not the cars.

That I know and I am totally fine with that as well smile

Driving the living crap out of those FWD econoboxes looks like fun, 1 wheel in the air and smoking tires.
I am surprised they don't get sea sick of all that body roll.

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Every year our team gets schooled by a "Mini" or "Mini" derivative. The one from the original "Italian Job" (1967), not the remake (2003).

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

#13 was the faux-Rambler

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

TeamRadicus wrote:

#13 was the faux-Rambler

#13 is the Dart. The Rambler was #785.

When I drove the Black Metal V8olvo at Altamont, I kept getting passed in most humiliating fashion by a hooptie '66 Mustang. Having owned plenty of Fords from that era, I knew they handled like crap, so I figured I must have been going much too slowly and my team was at that moment tearing out their hair in rage over my un-dominating driving (we had no radios, so I could not consult with them). So, I though that fateful thought (the one that got Chief Perp Jay Lamm in trouble at a press launch): "If he can go that fast, I can go that fast!" and stepped it up. Of course, I spun out in dramatic fashion about 30 seconds later. Next stop, penalty box!

Turns out that (A) the Mustang had a pretty decent suspension setup, (B) the Mustang's driver was really good, and (C) my team had been happy with my good-enough lap times and then became very unhappy with my inexplicable madness and resulting decision to try to catch a much quicker driver. We ended up finishing 15th out of 90 or so, but it would have been more like 10th if not for my assumptions about what cars should and should not be able to do (of course, having radios would have prevented this mishap, another important lesson).

rcazwillis wrote:

That Brown car is always fast.  Should have seen his full size station wagon.  It was fast, too.

Different Fox Body people. The station wagon belonged to Property Devaluation, who have raced every Fox Body except a Mustang, I think. 

The Fairmont belongs to Lost in the Dark, who also have a very quick Miata.

/TheMoreYouKnow

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

In our first race, we would get regularly lapped in our tbird by a dodge minivan. The team had setup that vehicle really well and it was quite light (much lighter than our tbird) but it still kind of stung.

I view it like college: I was very sad the first time I received a C but then, after a few more, you get used to the idea smile

Swapping in the DOHC 4.6L (I'm guessing Mark VIII donor) seems like a glorious way to add complication to your car.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

Swapping in the DOHC 4.6L (I'm guessing Mark VIII donor) seems like a glorious way to add complication to your car.
-g

DO IT!

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

SpaceFrank wrote:

Yeah, that car has a 4-valve (I think?) DOHC 4.6L from a Mark VIII or something. It's a beast. I think they killed the engine at MSR, though.

Pretty sure I saw him getting towed off track late in the day on Sunday too.

Team - Deathwheel Motorsports
'92 Mazda B2000 Napa Neaux How truck

BoB wrote:

Ford Fairmonts are Fox Bodies, so if it makes you feel better you got passed by a mustang.

I politely disagree.....  as the 1978 Fairmont was first, the 'Fox Body' Mustangs are really a Fairmont with different sheet metal.  Think of it as every time you get passed by a Mustang (or the like) its really a Fairmont.   Not like Ford never did that before, but for some reason Mustang owners tend to get less offended that the early ones were REALLY just re-bodied Falcons.   It has been my experience that Mustang II owners REALLY get upset when its mentioned that those Stangs are just merely 'based' on the Pinto (despite many interchangeable parts, they are significantly different cars).   

One further, if you want to have fun at a car show all one needs to do is point out to 'street rod-er's' that there is no such thing as a "Mustang II front suspension" because Ford put Pinto front suspensions in the Mustang II!!  Apparently they will forgive themselves for using parts from the 'red-headed step-child' of the Mustang family, and even make fun of them (and their owners), but they have limits.  Tell the same to a Mustang II owner and it gets worse.

I have owned several Falcon Mustangs, a couple Fairmont Mustangs, a bunch of Fairmont T-Birds, and still own a Fairmont Cougar.  I also have a sense of humor and coping skills as to not be offended by any of the aforementioned details.

BTW: GM never made limited slip units for any other car maker's rear axles, but that's a different topic.....

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

I'm just trying to make him feel better and he didn't like being passed by a fairmont, think he would feel better if we refer to it as a Zephyr?

Facebook Page

Hah! We had a Fairmont at Sonoma this weekend. Brought back some memories that's for sure!