Topic: Hi! Thinking about doing the Moscow to Buffalo leg of the rally...

So,  thinking about entering my boring,  every day forester into the rally next month.  not expecting to win as the odds are stacked up against me because of my car choice.  but it looks like fun just to do it.   so..  whats to be expected?  is it any fun with a regular car?  best I figure,  the only way to get any points would be to do all the challenges,  and given its Buffalo in the winter,  maybe help out some stuck racers...

Re: Hi! Thinking about doing the Moscow to Buffalo leg of the rally...

Oddballmotorsports wrote:

is it any fun with a regular car?

My somewhat irregular car blew up its transmission on the way to the start of the previous rally. I towed it home, then caught up with everyone else after day one and finished the rally in my pickup. Still loads of fun.

Oddballmotorsports wrote:

...maybe help out some stuck racers...

If the previous event is anything to go by, the judges can be quite generous in awarding points for helping fellow rallyists in distress.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Just to clarify: The first day of the rally is Moscow to Pittsburgh via Buffalo.

Jay and Steven Cavalieri both did the first rally in douchey Porsches. Another guy did it in a Chrysler 300. They all had fun.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

It's fun whatever car you bring. I dislike having to fix things at roadside, so going in something really hooptie wasn't an option for us. Took a car that I consider a paragon of reliability but that the guys in the Edsel said they would be afraid to drive. '03 Jag didn't hiccup on the rally and it hasn't hiccuped since. Burned a pint of 5w40 during 2500 miles of driving fast. That's my idea of fun; my hat is off to the couple in the Aerostar who won the inaugural rally, but coaxing that wheezing POS around for days isn't my idea of fun. I don't know what your daily "boring" car is but either my XJ-8 or 540i would be considered hoopties in some circles- but for $3000ish I have comfortable seats, cold air, warm heat, and around 300 hp to play with. If I do another rally it will be in something similarly reliable for long road trip use. I've already driven from Concord, NH to Phoenix in a sight unseen $500 car once. Never again.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

I've already driven from Concord, NH to Phoenix in a sight unseen $500 car once. Never again.

Where is your sense of adventure? I drove home to Chicago from the Inde race in a $400 PT Cruiser I never saw until the Thursday night before the race.

All kidding aside though I totally understand your point. Yesterday I was driving and thought how miserable it would be if I had a flat. Can't imagine wanting to put myself through anything worse than that. Currently a teammate and I are talking about possibly doing the rally in his WRX.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:
Type44 wrote:

I've already driven from Concord, NH to Phoenix in a sight unseen $500 car once. Never again.

Where is your sense of adventure? I drove home to Chicago from the Inde race in a $400 PT Cruiser I never saw until the Thursday night before the race.

All kidding aside though I totally understand your point. Yesterday I was driving and thought how miserable it would be if I had a flat. Can't imagine wanting to put myself through anything worse than that. Currently a teammate and I are talking about possibly doing the rally in his WRX.

I left my sense of adventure in Florence, KY after changing a CIS fuel pump in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel. Audi puts them under the car, and this was a NH car, and you can't really use a torch to loosen fuel lines. And I had to go on a 40 mile cab ride to get the pump in the first place...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

the car im thinking about entering,  a ultra high performance 2012 Subaru forester x(for autoX lol),  with an ultra high performance solar powered dancing turkey figurine on the dash,  auto ventshade window visors, and king springs in the back for towing my camper..  oh and highway tread all terrain tires..   see..  set up!  lol  none the less, its what i got..  and I am happy to push it to its limits...   at least its got a "proper" manual transmission...

Bring it, meet cool people, see the country in winter, have fun.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Do it!

I repeat:

Do it!