Topic: Are you bringing a CB? What else are you bringing for tools/ spares?

I am debating finding a CB radio to put in my rally wagon, is anyone else going to have a CB? To hear from truckers or communicate within the group, it could be handy.

Things that I will be bringing along:

Straps-tow and ratchet for snowbank extraction and securing loose parts
Jumper cables- I am running a 5yo battery in a $100 car
Assorted hand tools
Zip ties, duct tape, safety wire
Spare distributor and coil- just because I have them
Multimeter and power probe
Maybe some welding rod in the event battery welding is required?
Blankets (especially if I don't get my heater fixed)

Anything else any of you are bringing along?

Re: Are you bringing a CB? What else are you bringing for tools/ spares?

I was thinking about bringing a CB but wasn't sure if anyone else was. I plan on bringing a variety of spare fluids because my car tends to leak.

Tow strap
Ratchet straps
Various tools
A jack to make tire changes easier and quicker
OBD scanner for us OBD2 guys
Team mascot

droptopchevy wrote:

I plan on bringing a variety of spare fluids because my car tends to leak.

I forgot about the spare fluids, I've already got  a box of them in the back from all the prep work. I also forgot to mention a tire plug kit, though I probably wont bring a compressor unless I can find one of those little 12v rigs dirt cheap.

Great idea on the CB! I have a portable rig I can throw in the car!

Squatting Dog Racing
2000 Mustang - sold to those Hokie Pokie losers
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

I'll be bringing almost everything that I usually bring to a race except a welder, compressor, engine hoist and a generator. Nothing for the truck.

It Ain't My Fault

I'm all for putting a cb into the Bronco.  Just not sure how much it will be used.  Did anyone run the last rally use theirs?  I have one on another truck and it only picks up 1-1.5 miles, and I'm not sure how much 36 cars spread out over the states will hear each other...

All that being said, I really want one, and currently have an amazon account credit.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

I think I have some handheld CB's somewhere. They take like 32 AA batteries each. There is no fail.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Any HAMs out there? I can bring a handheld radio to reach out a bit farther.

Squatting Dog Racing
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

You can get a new Midland CB on Amazon for less than 30 bucks. Add a $17 magnet-mount antenna and you're ready to be the CB Savage. If you're really cheap, you can go on eBay and get a used emergency CB radio (which usually include a rubber-duck antenna and lighter jack) for under 20 bucks. The emergency type of CB radio usually has a sub-1/2-mile range, which is good enough for talking to the car next to you.

I'm going on the rally, and I'm going to have a CB. Steve McDaniel will as well, and we'll do our best to get Finnegan and Freiburger to rig one up too. I'm thinking we might designate channel 2 as the Lemons Rally channel, due to the #2/poop association.

I can either borrow my roomate's handheld, or buy a super cheap setup for the scoob and make it look lie an RC car.

The Amazon gods will be smiling on me on Monday. Cheap Uniden and a 3' antenna is on its way.

I just talked to Freiburger, and he says the Roadkill entry will be CB-equipped. This means you'll be able to ignore their pleas for assistance when their hooptie ends up in a frozen ditch.

Man, I Hope you guys end up having more to talk about than during the first one. I ran with the CB on from Fallon to Vegas and all I ever heard was one trucker explaining to another why we all got to sit on highway 95 for half an hour during a truck accident (yup, gridlock in BFE...) two sentences, that's the extent of what I overheard on channel 9.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Zip ties, absolute bucket load of zip ties........

Tools, tow straps, etc.  I dug an emerge CB out of a box of my parents estate bringing it.

One of those portable jump batteries my wife got me for Xmas.

Enjoy the day,
Grimmy

15 (edited by aaronmichorn 2017-01-08 05:37 AM)

Since this is a European rally should we call it channel "deux". With a back up channel of deux deux.

Haha. See what I did there. High school French class is finally paying dividends.

16 (edited by NarfBLAST 2017-01-10 06:27 PM)

I have never used a CB before but felt inspired to do some research.  I'm in Canada and it takes 135 of our pesos to buy an American dollar these days, plus there is extra duty and shipping to cross the border, and often times we get all the way to the checkout before Amazon.com tells us, "certain items can not be shipped to your location".  I was looking at over $150 Canadian for any combo of radio and antenna.  There is Amazon.ca which has less selection and inflated prices so as to always be about 20% higher than than the American site after conversion.   I tried other sites too, including 4x4parts type places and they had some kits, but all starting around $150.

So I started asking around, sure enough my neighbour had a dusty only CB radio and two broken antennas in their basement.  I couldn't get either antenna to work but I did hear some garbled chatter when I hooked up a 9 foot length of solid strand copper wire to one of the bases so there is hope for the unit.

Then I found WALMART.CA where you can get a nice 31" bottom loaded antenna with magnetic base for $36 canadian (online only but free pickup!).  Hoping this will get me a few miles range.

An issue we had in our all steel monster is the GPS on our phones couldn't determine our location and it seemed to drain the batteries. This time around I bought a stand alone GPS with updated maps to know where we are going.

Looks like most of the rallyers are getting CBs.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/a9/3e/a7a93e9a97f7eb816cc11058be4e5289.jpg

Squatting Dog Racing

We have our cb in. No brakes, but we have a cb. Somehow priorities got out of order.

21 (edited by majo 2017-01-21 08:35 AM)

aaronmichorn wrote:

We have our cb in. No brakes, but we have a cb. Somehow our priorities are in order.

Fixed it for ya. 

My rally lemon decided not to start today and is leaking coolant, but the CB is in!

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

22 (edited by Shvd_Box 2017-01-21 11:48 AM)

My car moved for the first time in months today... And is now fitted with decent tires on Craigslist wheels... Is anyone bringing a sawzall? I might need to turn my wagon into a targa if the AC doesn't work once we hit the south.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

majo wrote:
aaronmichorn wrote:

We have our cb in. No brakes, but we have a cb. Somehow our priorities are in order.

Fixed it for ya. 

My rally lemon decided not to start today and is leaking coolant, but the CB is in!

Thanks for that.

No need for brakes if we can just get someone to perform rolling fill-ups for us like the Air Force.

Shvd_Box wrote:

My car moved for the first time in months today... And is now fitted with decent tires on Craigslist wheels... Is anyone bringing a sawzall? I might need to turn my wagon into a targa if the AC doesn't work once we hit the south.

The AC compressor was removed from the Legacy several years ago after it seized on my way back from buying a Merkur at an estate auction.

Oh, and my FaceSpace feed told me that five years ago today I was replacing the first dead center differential; and now it's in the capable(?) hands of the Lounge Leader

fiasco wrote:
Shvd_Box wrote:

The AC compressor was removed from the Legacy several years ago after it seized on my way back from buying a Merkur at an estate auction.

Oh, and my FaceSpace feed told me that five years ago today I was replacing the first dead center differential; and now it's in the capable(?) hands of the Lounge Leader

With that being said... Who's bringing a Sawzall?

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters