Topic: Anyone looking for bums in seats or wanting to be a bum in a seat?

If anyone else wants to join in the "I want to go but can't make it work by myself" party they're more than welcome to post.

I had my partner  bail on me a while back (and good riddance, I almost had to start my trip by driving 1000 miles in the wrong direction just to go get her) but I've been unable to find another co-driver. So I'm kinda looking for either another person to buy into my trip or I guess some other person who has a trip I can buy into.

My plan was to drive my 1996 Lada Niva down, although the engine currently isn't attached. I just need to put it back in, and it should be good to go. The only reason it's still out is because it's been pretty cold recently (approaching -40 levels of cold) and I don't have a heated space to work in, so without a rally to attend I haven't had a huge amount of motivation to get it finished up. Bur failing that there's the 523.000km Comanche that did the last rally unfortunately nearly flawlessly as backup. Both of them have excellent heaters and have no shits to give about cold weather or snow.
I don't really live super close to a major airport, but although i'd prefer company for the entire drive down I'd be willing to stop and pick someone up somewhere along the trip down. Major centres I'd be passing through or at least near to on the "most direct" (read "most boring:) route would include Winnipeg, Fargo, Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago, Cleveland, and I suppose anywhere I missed between those points. Obviously the route isn't fixed either.

But if anyone a little closer is also in a similar situation to me, I'm also willing to fly places. Is this what desperation sounds like? I'm not sure.

Re: Anyone looking for bums in seats or wanting to be a bum in a seat?

Maybe. My codriver is complaining that "he has things going on at work" (which, because I know damn well what he does for a living and what their vacation policies are, has a distinctive scent of "My wife forbids me from being in the car with such a bad influence for a whole week").

I'm leaning more towards "Solo drive" though. Because I could use a couple thousand miles of solitude and reflection.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I appreciate the offer of maybe.
I've gotten one other response from a stranger (I think) of "I'm interested in running down, possibly even the whole way" but they have my email address and I haven't heard anything from them yet. So we'll see how that plays out.

Was that stranger me? I signed up on the forum today and sent you a "forum email" to respond to your original post but I have no idea how these pages work. How can I get in touch with you to discuss the rally?

5 (edited by gogmorgo 2017-01-09 09:23 PM)

Actually no, unless you're also the person who commented on Oppositelock. I was 100% unaware there was such a thing as forum mail until 30 seconds ago.

Shoot me an email. gogmorgo at gmail. I'll try to figure out this forum mail thing in the next few minutes.

Edit: Okay, I'm stumped. Im familiar with the concept of PM's over forums, but can't find the function here anywhere. I'd expect an alert of some kind if I received one as well, but I haven't noticed anything like that either on the forum or within my email account associated with the forum account.

Sent you a test email - check your junk mail folder - that's where ones I receive usually land.

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

7 (edited by SpaceFrank 2017-01-10 11:46 AM)

This forum doesn't have private messages per se, but the Forum Email sends an email to the email address you have listed in your profile. It should show up as coming from "The 24 Hours of Lemons Forum Mailer."

I'm running a decent sized wagon. I should have room for a hitchhiker if need be.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters