Topic: cmp1 2k17

just wandering how difficult it is to get accepted at cmp, and maybe road Atlanta. I think we have a good theme but I'm still nervous  about getting accepted.

Re: cmp1 2k17

The spring CMP race is the lesser attended of the two races there.  There are usually 20-40 less cars than the fall race, so unless we have a major influx of new folks wanting to play in that sandbox, you should be good.  To be safe, go ahead and weld that 50 foot replica of the Eiffel Tower on the car, and speak condescending French all weekend!!!!  Road Atl is a first time event, in the middle of the winter.  Who knows how many will sign up.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

If I understand right there are a limited places in the race? Can you tell me please what is the max number of cars? How do they pick participants?

AFAIK, there is no max number of cars, otherwise Sonoma probably would have one.  As for CMP, you are more likely to be accepted than not, so don't sweat it.  Not sure about RA since we (Lemons) has yet to run there, but I'm sure looking forward to it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

That is good to hear. Thank you for the info.
I read that this is the first year for Road Atl yes, it should be great as every other race is.

JB77 wrote:

If I understand right there are a limited places in the race? Can you tell me please what is the max number of cars? How do they pick participants?

There is no magic number that is published for each track.  I'm sure there's a number that Jay has in his mind that he's comfortable with but I've never heard of one.  Races like Sears Point can have almost as many waitlisted as accepted and other tracks never have a waitlist. 

How do they pick participants?  Bessie Bingo?  Whoever application makes them last the most?  If I could climb inside Jay's skull and guess his thought process as he looks at entries, I'm guessing it might look like this -

1.  No dickheads that are going to argue with me.
2.  These guys look like they 'get' Lemons
3.  No dickheads
4.  No dickheads who will be unguided missles on track
5.  If they have a funny theme or entry, they probably aren't dickheads
6.  That's an interesting car, let's accept that.
7.  No dickheads

In general, there are a number of areas of uncertainty in Lemons.  For your first race you have to spend a substantial sum to prep a car.  Do you prep, apply and hope?  Do you apply, wait to get accepted and then build?  Option 2 gives you certainty but deprives you of precious time.  First, I would inquire about specific races because acceptance at some is difficult and others is no issue.  If you are picking a difficult race to get accepted and you are building something modernish or considered one of the fast/cheaty cars, then you've made your path uphill.  (Yes, yes, your themeless M3 is a total rusted POS, we've heard it a million times).

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

That are one of the best regulations I’ve read in a long time. smile
Yes, 2nd option is much safer, especially for the budget, but I think that if you are serious about racing you will probably go with 1st option, first build a car and then do everything else.

An almost guaranteed way to get into an event that is usually waitlisted is to enter a Class C car, the more unusual the better.

A car made before 1960?   Good choice.
A car with an absolutely horrible reputation?   They will smile on it.
Any Eastern Block car?   You are in!
Any car with a straight-8 engine?   Ditto.

The Class A and Class B cars pay the bills, but Class C is what they live for.
I am not aware of any car outside of Class C that has ever won the IOE (which pays more than winning the race), so that is an additional incentive.   Also, IMNSHO, Class C teams generally have more fun.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

We are living proof they love Class C terrible cars.  More on-air, in print and reposted content than almost (TaTa, Flying Pigs, etc may rate more) any team in the Midwest for the last two years and we have only once been even close to in contention for a Class C win.  White Trash racing is similar in this manner.

Rotating themes each race (some better than others)...check
Vehicles from "Cars we want to see in Lemons" lists...check
Pre-War technology run mostly stock...check

We also theme the paddock on occasion, give theme-related bribes instead of just booze, do not end up in the penalty box.

But as said, NE and West coast races get waitlists...most others never do.

CowDriver wrote:

I am not aware of any car outside of Class C that has ever won the IOE (which pays more than winning the race), so that is an additional incentive.   Also, IMNSHO, Class C teams generally have more fun.

At the midwest fall race of '12 the class B winning car was awarded the IOE. But that also was a '78 Fiesta that got into the top ten. I think there may have been one or two ther B class cars that won it as well. But yeah, it hardly ever happens.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how many themes do you have for your cars (in general)?
Is it necessary to changing the themes all the time? It is probably much more fun doing so, but it takes a lot of time to make even one.

My team tends to change it every 2 or 3 races.  Takes us a while to figureout what we want to do next plus since we make shirts and stuff for them it cuts down on costs a little being able to reuse the shirts multiple times.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

13 (edited by OnkelUdo 2017-01-25 03:47 PM)

JB77 wrote:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how many themes do you have for your cars (in general)?
Is it necessary to changing the themes all the time? It is probably much more fun doing so, but it takes a lot of time to make even one.

It is part of the fun for us...change it every time.  Some are subtle...most are not.

Saturn = Lunar rover, Princess Bride, Pound Puppies, Polar Vortex Avenger, Goonies, and probably few I missed.
Dustbuster Minivan = Dustbuster, Princess Vespa's Shuttle, Imperial Shuttle (with folding wings), Galileo shuttlecraft (original Star Trek), Door Stop, "The Cadilac of Minivans" from Get Shorty/
1948 Plymouth - just original patina so far but we have plans

If you do one or two races a year, or have a PERFECT theme, don't worry. Some cars/teams become associated with a really good or Iconic theme. The car not being there looking like it always does can be a disappointment. Like Our Lady Of Perpetual Downforce, or the Brick coated Mustang with the circle track mega wing on it, or Rally Baby's beer can clad E36.

If you do a lot of races, or want to be a Theme dominated team, More often is more better. Three Pedal Mafia had a frigging boat, but they STILL re themed the boat every time. Same with Eyesore's Miata, or Speedycop's well Everything.

If I was my whole team I'd change it every time. Full costumes, the works. But I may be stuck with the current theme for a while because it's really pretty good, and I have to wait for the misery of painting it to fade from their minds. (my team really busted ass theming the car.)

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Ok, I think we will go with this "PERFECT theme" option for beginning.
It is probably easier to get some idea for an extra theme once you get to the race and see what other teams prepared…