Topic: Broke down in Aulbern send help!

Volvo 740s got no spark

Re: Broke down in Aulbern send help!

untitledcarshow wrote:

Volvo 740s got no spark

Need the year but this is my wheel house.

1989 + with Bosch it is one three things...Crank position sensor, RSR or power stage. 

Start with the RSR...two identical relays on the passenger fender (I think).  Swap them.
Power stage is likely bolted to the fender behind the battery.  Unplug it and plug it a few times.  If that does not work you can unbolt it and see if it the back is covered in powdery white residue.  If so, likely toast.

CPS...wiggle the wire and hope.  Common part and carried at many parts stores

Finally, if it has the head mounted distributor, make sure the coil wire is seated completely at both ends.  It is commonly the wrong length even from Volvo.

If it is earlier or Rex/Regina (big square coil) let me know...can walk you thorough those as well.

Re: Broke down in Aulbern send help!

OnkelUdo wrote:
untitledcarshow wrote:

Volvo 740s got no spark

Need the year but this is my wheel house.

1989 + with Bosch it is one three things...Crank position sensor, RSR or power stage. 

Start with the RSR...two identical relays on the passenger fender (I think).  Swap them.
Power stage is likely bolted to the fender behind the battery.  Unplug it and plug it a few times.  If that does not work you can unbolt it and see if it the back is covered in powdery white residue.  If so, likely toast.

CPS...wiggle the wire and hope.  Common part and carried at many parts stores

Finally, if it has the head mounted distributor, make sure the coil wire is seated completely at both ends.  It is commonly the wrong length even from Volvo.

If it is earlier or Rex/Regina (big square coil) let me know...can walk you thorough those as well.

Thanks! We got it runnning! It's a 91, we replaced the ignition module and ignition coil. Took 4 hours to get it but it worked