Topic: IOE Coronet off to a new home

The IOE Coronet left with it's new owners yesterday. No time to fix the busted tranny and brakes. The car should be pretty quick with decent brakes.  We gave (FREE!!!) to a bunch guys from South Cackalackee who really want to get started in Lemons racing.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k435/Autoxmike/Coronet/DSC_0281_zpsxlqx8xmk.jpg

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

Re: IOE Coronet off to a new home

That car was pretty quick for what it was.  And it's only a small block.  Find some 440 out of a motorhome and it would really fly.  Who needs to turn?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Put some M-body front brakes on there. With Carbotech XP8 pads. It will stop.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

4 (edited by 96Formula6spd 2017-02-03 01:48 PM)

Saw this. Figure its a very old thread but work is being done to the old Coronet. Last weekend it got moving under its own power its super cheap manual transmission swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYXPiFPOYMk

Very nice! I saw that car win IoE at the first race I ever went to; glad to see it's still alive.

Seconded Mackwagon's suggestion about M-body brakes. The conversion parts are fairly easy to find, calipers and rotors can be bought at any parts store, and with good pads they give plenty of stop. What front brakes does it have now?

6 (edited by 96Formula6spd 2017-02-03 01:57 PM)

SpaceFrank wrote:

Very nice! I saw that car win IoE at the first race I ever went to; glad to see it's still alive.

Seconded Mackwagon's suggestion about M-body brakes. The conversion parts are fairly easy to find, calipers and rotors can be bought at any parts store, and with good pads they give plenty of stop. What front brakes does it have now?

Yeah its getting some work done. Its even going to get a trunk lid again. I was even able to get the title to the car so we can register it for the street. This will help work out bugs. Its South Carolina so did you pay your taxes. Good then its street legal.

As for the brakes the car came with a bunch of parts. In the back were the correct 73+ A-body spindles. They were really rusty. We cleaned those up in a buddies bead plaster for free. This will allow us to bolt up the bigger brakes. Right now its on the factory 11 Inch 1972 Brakes. We will be going to brakes from a 1979 Dodge Magnum. This goes to the 11.75 inch rotor and is a direct bolt on to the A-body spindles. Also keeps the suspension geometry correct. Hard part was sourcing the brake brackets from the Magnum but be found a set for $40 with the calipers. Everybody was selling the brackets for $100 or more. Got to love craigslist. Either way with some good cooling and some custom order Carbotech xp12 pads. Might even two sets on hand as CMP is tough on brakes and being this is still a heavy car it can't hurt. Really wanting to win Class C at the Fall CMP event. Test day is with NASA at CMP in May.