Re: Which Car?

squidrope wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

I really don't expect to spend more than $1500 on my car, I must be missing something??
I have a tube bender to make my own cage.    Pinto was $250, motor and trans were free,  where does the other $3500 come from?
Are you required to have $1000 seat??

$300 Seat
$150 belts
$500-800 in tires
$3-400 in brake pads
Spares...(varies)
etc

Kill switch
roll bar padding
fluids
filters
sheetmetal
wire
hardware
welding supplies
etc
etc
etc

This all really depends on how good you are at sourcing items for less than retail and your expectations of the car.  You can get used seats for about half of new.  You can get legal belts for as low as $60 new.  You don't have to run sticky tires.  In fact, they had a challenge to run a certain all-season radial.  You don't have to buy expensive pads.  You can build cheap if you just want to go play.  The expensive part comes when you are trying to run the car hard the entire event.  Then you do need to upgrade the equipment to make it last.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

This all really depends on how good you are at sourcing items for less than retail and your expectations of the car.  You can get used seats for about half of new.  You can get legal belts for as low as $60 new.  You don't have to run sticky tires.  In fact, they had a challenge to run a certain all-season radial.  You don't have to buy expensive pads.  You can build cheap if you just want to go play.  The expensive part comes when you are trying to run the car hard the entire event.  Then you do need to upgrade the equipment to make it last.

I have yet to find a used seat that is less than a Corbeau Forza so it may be possible but in three years of trying...no luck.

Pads and tires you are accurate but in our experience, cheap pads are very expensive long term.

I agree on the belts as well as latch and link belts are perfectly suitable if you suitable if you team is not full of blithering idiots (we only had two that could contently get them right).

etc, etc, etc.

I think most of us are just trying to set realistic expectations of what it costs most teams.

53 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2017-02-23 01:09 PM)

I dragged home a new candidate...944S (with 395k miles???) inside is a horror show, but supposed to have been running when parked 15 years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/5x0vv3l.jpg

Actually bought it to use the suspension/trans for my Corvair project, but I'm going to see if the engine will run.

Replace the clutch before your first race...it takes about a 1.5 years.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Replace the clutch before your first race...it takes about a 1.5 years.

I believe it, I'm watching a video on how to remove the engine, and step 66 you do xxxx....
I just swapped an engine in a 98 mustang, was very simple.

I have been warned the timing belt might break after sitting for so long, so I'm not going to try and get it running,
just keep with the plan and disassemble it and sell parts I don't need.