1 (edited by nickzourdos 2017-02-22 07:08 AM)

Topic: New tire rules for 2017

I noticed in the update for 2017, there's a new regulation for tires: " 3.J.2 Fenders, Doors, and Hoods Required. All cars must have fenders at all wheels so that no tire surface extends past the body". Do you guys think we can bribe our way past this, or should we weld on some fenders?

http://i.imgur.com/LBJvoUC.png

Re: New tire rules for 2017

The bribes don't work in tech inspection and they really don't do much in BS Inspection beside let the judges know you don't take the whole thing too seriously.

Get yourself some sturdy fender flares.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

The bribes don't work in tech inspection and they really don't do much in BS Inspection beside let the judges know you don't take the whole thing too seriously.

Get yourself some sturdy fender flares.

Thanks for clarifying, we're doing everything we can to show up for our first race as informed as possible. Appreciate it!

Also pretty sure that isn't new.  That was added a few years back after some tire on tire contact.  Short verison tires interlocking is a quick was for a car to end up on its roof.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Yup...

https://i.imgflip.com/c8qp8.gif

6 (edited by rlchv70 2017-02-22 02:09 PM)

BoB wrote:

Also pretty sure that isn't new.  That was added a few years back after some tire on tire contact.  Short verison tires interlocking is a quick was for a car to end up on its roof.

Not "new" for 2017, but clarified:

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/2 … datesB.pdf

I think they are just planning to be a bit more strict.
In NH, the judges flunked my car, since for that race, I purchased wider tires.
I had narrower spares I put on the rear, and built out the front fenders at the track.

If you are building wider fenders, they need to be heavy gauge steel.  In the rear, I plan on using a 55 gallon drum, as they suggested.
Flexible metal, like duct-work will not pass, neither will plastic/rubber.
They don't really like fenders attached with rivets...they prefer welded....but we used some heavy duty rivets...and it came out solid....and judges were happy.

The car in the photo definitely will not pass.

Z.

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

8 (edited by DRVOLKS 2017-02-23 08:03 AM)

Got point Mike but on the Beetle there are plastic  I plan on going big on tire on the Beetle this year.
I have a few Beetle parts cars so my plan is to pull there fenders off and mount them to the car and blow out say 6 inch.
I think air plane rivets should do the job and if I must plastic weld them too.
I think Lemon tech should let use know what will fly or not hear!!!

Bob Mann
DRVOLKS

MZAVARIN wrote:

If you are building wider fenders, they need to be heavy gauge steel.  In the rear, I plan on using a 55 gallon drum, as they suggested.

We are planning on using old metal street signs, one of our team members has legal access to scrapped signs. Think that'll do?

You can get a steel trailer fender for under $20, one will do two fenders (cut it in half).

nickzourdos wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

We are planning on using old metal street signs, one of our team members has legal access to scrapped signs. Think that'll do?

Street signs should be fine....any body work on a car out of street signs always looks cool too!  --Points with judges!---just don't paint over them.
Steel trailer fenders, fenders off another junk yard car, etc. are also options

Maybe plastic fenders would be ok?....or fiberglass.....but I doubt any cheap brittle plastic would pass....they told us "welded sturdy metal" when they flunked us....but we did use heavy duty (airplane?) rivets which worked out fine

mike Z

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

BoB wrote:

This happened at a Chump practice session at Road Atlanta 3 weeks ago. Tire-to-tire contact in T7 resulted in a rollover... a weekend ended before the start of the race for one team.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

Once I saw these my life was permanently altered: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=30037

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner