Topic: Cooling system corrosion

What is everyone doing to prevent cooling system corrosion in their Lemons cars? I have just been leaving distilled water in and it is starting to turn brown. I'll flush that crap out, but didn't know if there were some Lemons tricks for in between races.

Re: Cooling system corrosion

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/0 … -lube.html

We put this in the radiator then run the motor for a few minutes.

Bob Johnson

Antifreeze in the winter, water in the season...which might mean a switch to antifreeze after say Barber.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Antifreeze in the winter, water in the season...which might mean a switch to antifreeze after say Barber.

"3.K.2 Coolant. Coolant must be water only--no antifreeze, antiboil, water-wetter, or other additives allowed. (That stuff is slippery--when your car pukes its guts all over the track, we don't want to be sliding around in it.) A functional catch tank is mandatory."

I switch to antifreeze every race. Keeps the seals happy. and I switch to distilled water at the race.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Guess we are going to have to start doing that. More of a hassle, but less of a hassle than cooling system corrosion.

CPB wrote:

Guess we are going to have to start doing that. More of a hassle, but less of a hassle than cooling system corrosion.

Recycle. That is the best thing do. No reason to waste antifreeze. I got a small tester for winter, when I adjust it cause of dilution.
I use a large shallow pan I picked up at ikea. Think it was meant for kids toys. I dont know. slides easily under the car. Little or no mess overall.
I run the used antifreeze through a screen, just in case there is dirt and stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

CPB wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

"3.K.2 Coolant. Coolant must be water only--no antifreeze, antiboil, water-wetter, or other additives allowed. (That stuff is slippery--when your car pukes its guts all over the track, we don't want to be sliding around in it.) A functional catch tank is mandatory."

I think you misunderstood.  We normally do not switch back to coolant until after the season is over BUT an early race like Barber could have a <20 temps on the tow back to Chicago.  It think it was the cancelled race in Dallas that few folks learned how quickly this situation can go sideways.  Either a full block and radiator drain or switching back to antifreeze before the tow home is the answer.

Hot water and vinegar once you realize you really shouldn't be using tap water.  Takes all the white crusty shit right out.   Then distilled.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

the shaolin wrote:

Hot water and vinegar once you realize you really shouldn't be using tap water.  Takes all the white crusty shit right out.   Then distilled.

We don't use tap water, but sounds like I'll be running normal coolant in between races to avoid all the corrosion.

We keep antifreeze in it until we get to the track, then drain it and fill with distilled water. If it's going to be cold, then I'll set a halogen work light against the block overnight. After the race I drain the radiator and top it off with antifreeze.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!