Topic: please forgive my stupidity...

I'm going with V8 power in our turbo coupe. 

The motor mounts are the same for the I4 as for the V8, but the brackets that come off the engine are different for a truck than for the T bird.

What do you call the brackets that come off the block that go to the motor mount?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

2 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-03-03 12:13 PM)

Re: please forgive my stupidity...

Well if it's a part you need, it's called Unobtanium.

Otherwise Engine Mount/Motor Mount Bracket?

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Motor-Mounts

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

What in gods name are you on about?

Use turbochucks mounts.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I was trying to save some coin, but stock replacements seem to be impossible to find.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

from Turbochuck:

Matt-
Sorry, I'm no longer building mounts.

Chuck

:\

If this is a FOX chassis TBird than any part that fits a Mustang will fit the TBIrd.  If you do buy new motor mounts get the Convertible style as they are stiffer and lower the engine a bit in the chassis over the stock V8 mounts.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

from Turbochuck:

Matt-
Sorry, I'm no longer building mounts.

Chuck

:\

Well damnit.

The difference in the TCs is the k-member side of the mount. I wonder if you could combine a fox 5.0 upper and salvage the lower half from an old TC 2.3 mount.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

8 (edited by flyingpigs750 2017-03-04 05:46 AM)

Yes the TC K member is different, the motor mounts are for 4 cyl  only.
The easiest would be to s swap in a V8 T-bird K member and use V8 motor mounts
You could swap in a mustang K member but there are variations in those too.
A mustang 4 cyl  k member is narrower at the A arm mounts than a 1989-1993 V8 K member.
And the A arms of a 1987-1988 T bird are longer than a mustang (up to 1993) the 1994 and up A arm are same length as T bird. And they are interchangeable as long as you use the balljoints that go with the knuckles you are using. And if you need more info you can PM me your phone# and we can talk more in depth.

Flying Pigs Racing, 1987 Ford Mustang
You came in that thing, you are braver than I thought, Porsche 944 / T-bird TC drivetrain (with Darth Vadar on the roof)
MonteCrappo, 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo 3800 V6

To add some,  going with the Mustang or Tbird V8  K member will make things easier. The very late  FOX based Mustang LCAs (Early '00's) are supposed to be even longer than the Tbird or early SN95's. You can use the Fox BJ's with the later LCA's but upgrading to SN95 5 lug knuckles and BJs  make so much sense that I can't see anyone not doing this. More wheel selection, stronger/wider  wheels, and bigger/better brakes!

You can modify the K member to move it forward in the car and the engine back. It helps balance and handling. Just some cutting and welding on the a OEM K member.  There is a book that covered the required. mods that is still out there on the net.

One book any FOX racer should have is; "Mustang Performance Handbook" by William Mathis   HP Books #1193"
I built a road race Mustang using the info in there and you won't be disappointed.

The book that is even better is the second handbook from the same author.
MUSTANG PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK 2.  HPbooks 1202
This one is all about the suspension... the first is mostly about engine and drivetrain
Unfortunately this one is hard to find or expensive... but worth it.

Flying Pigs Racing, 1987 Ford Mustang
You came in that thing, you are braver than I thought, Porsche 944 / T-bird TC drivetrain (with Darth Vadar on the roof)
MonteCrappo, 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo 3800 V6

We did the sn 95 LCA conversion, with plans to upgrade to cobra fronts. 

I'm probably going to make engine brackets myself that will bolt to the stock motor mount, since the T bird ones appear to be stapled steel anyway.

From all the research I've done, the mounts are 87-88 T bird only part.  K member is the same across the board, 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl.