Topic: Plinth box for rear stays?

Anyone ever used plinth blocks for the rear spreader plates? I had a friend ask me about it and I have no idea if this would be acceptable. Just curious what you all think.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/cabinboy63/received_102114368453721101.jpeg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/cabinboy63/received_102114370570174011.jpeg

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Re: Plinth box for rear stays?

I can't see why it would be an issue. You can use them everywhere else. Make sure you use the required 1/8" thickness plate.

However for extra piece of mind I'd have that lower piece also be a bent piece that runs up the vertical surface. That's how I built the boxes for the Saab.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/saab%20build/20160921_221901.jpg

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

However for extra piece of mind I'd have that lower piece also be a bent piece that runs up the vertical surface. That's how I built the boxes for the Saab.

That's what I told him. My main concern was that I've never seen it done before.

As always if you're really concerned ask Jay/Pagel. But I don't think they'll have a problem with this.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I have rear plinths in my car.  No issues with tech.  I think they are perfectly acceptable.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Looks good.
You won't gain any suspension stiffness, though.
Unless they're over a subframe mount. Tied to your
upper strut mount area helps stiffen them.

Also, how is you angle? Is it close to the required approx. 45 degrees?

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Looks good.
You won't gain any suspension stiffness, though.
Unless they're over a subframe mount. Tied to your
upper strut mount area helps stiffen them.

Also, how is you angle? Is it close to the required approx. 45 degrees?

I have no idea. Not my car. I was just asking for a friend.

They have to be totally boxed,  front, back all around, welded 360 degrees  with no burn through and be at least 1/8" thick

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'