Topic: Jag 4.0l diesel conversion. Hive mind assemble!

One of our 4.0l jag motors has caught loose timing chain syndrome. Instead of fixing it for around $200, converting it to diesel sounds way worse and more expensive. I think I can take the injectors, glow plugs, and injector pump from an early 80's GM 5.7l diesel and machine new pistons to make the Jagvair go THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. Suggestions?

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Re: Jag 4.0l diesel conversion. Hive mind assemble!

Without pre chambers, how do you propose to avoid burning holes in the Pistons from the direct shot of fuel (presumably injected through the former spark plug hole??)

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Prechambers might be the way to go as I can incorporate the injector and glow plug in one assembly.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

As a Lemons fan, I approve of this flavor of crazy (i've got a few ideas for a pre-chamber that would screw into the spark plug hole).

As a Olds 5.7 Diesel fan, I ask you to please scavenge from the GM 6.2 diesel. The 6.2 has way more aftermarket support and you can still get new injectors. 5.7 injectors are getting hard to find in good condition.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

I think I am leaning more post-'85 Merc 300D, since i won't have to figure out how to make 8 cylinders run in a I-6.