1 (edited by Guildenstern 2017-03-27 11:22 AM)

Topic: RaceCast.me Broadcast SO MANY QUESTIONS!

What did you use for hardware for the commentary? Software on a PC? Tri-caster? magic? Were you in a sound board or plugged straight in?

What's the deal with that Black Flag radio on Race Monitor? was that a stream? who set that up? was it just the Paddock pa?

Can there be an audio only stream of the commentary that won't squander screen on battery time?

The Echo? the echo? theecho.......theecho

Do you plan on doing it more? At every race? Do you need help?

It was pretty awesome!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: RaceCast.me Broadcast SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Seek out Julian Cordle....he's on the Book of Faces and can answer all of your questions........

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

It was awesome, although we were not able to/smart enough to monitor the broadcast version. We were glued to our little screen watching Zep zip around Sonoma.

Being able to watch your car live was immensely fun and helpful. Normally we just sit around waiting to get bad news over the radio or for the stint click to run down. Now we can know exactly what was happening. The down side is your team mates get to watch you drive, and you know that while you are out there. They are watching everything you do, ever screw up, every opportunity missed, and are critiquing your driving. I know, because that's what we did when Zep was driving and I was in the pits. And actually, that isn't just a down side thing, it is motivating. You want to do good, to put on a good show, and for once, you know you are not alone out there. Your guys and gals are out there with you.

Mike

It's a blast to watch too. Especially with commentary!

Now, to get it everywhere........

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Trouble is the guys developing this are all west coast. I've been trying to use the race cast stuff for east coast races using a cell phone, however I've had nothing but problems. Video that stops after 20 minutes, video that freezes and then streams only sound, streams that don't seem to work on mobile browsers, etc. But whenever they setup a big event on the west coast it works fine. I eventually gave up and went back to ustream which has worked just about every time I've used it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Trouble is the guys developing this are all west coast. I've been trying to use the race cast stuff for east coast races using a cell phone, however I've had nothing but problems. Video that stops after 20 minutes, video that freezes and then streams only sound, streams that don't seem to work on mobile browsers, etc. But whenever they setup a big event on the west coast it works fine. I eventually gave up and went back to ustream which has worked just about every time I've used it.

I Googled Ustream, but it looks like a pay site.  Does it save your video to be reposted?  How much does it cost?  It would be nice if Racecast came out east.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I Googled Ustream, but it looks like a pay site.  Does it save your video to be reposted?  How much does it cost?  It would be nice if Racecast came out east.

There are free memberships. I have one. It will save the first 3 hours of streaming, but nothing after that. It used to let you stream unlimited but only save that 3, not sure if that has changed. Basically it used to be better and I'd love to switch over fully to race-cast, but it needs to work for me first.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

The challenge to any webcasting is having enough outgoing bandwidth. At CMP I was able to tweak their router to allow us to get a 500k outbound connection. That meant minimal image quality but it worked. We did that for several races.

I couldn't afford to continue doing it since I picked up the expenses of the rest of the crew helping me out. For one race we had thousands of viewers but the revenue split was like $38.

Guildenstern wrote:

(1) What did you use for hardware for the commentary? Software on a PC? Tri-caster? magic? Were you in a sound board or plugged straight in?

(2) What's the deal with that Black Flag radio on Race Monitor? was that a stream? who set that up? was it just the Paddock pa?

(3) Can there be an audio only stream of the commentary that won't squander screen on battery time?

(4) The Echo? the echo? theecho.......theecho

(5) Do you plan on doing it more? At every race? Do you need help?

(6) It was pretty awesome!

(1) I have no idea what Julian was using for the static setups, but I was doing pitlane reporting with an iPhone SE using the Wowza GoCoder app.

(2) Roland decided to try out Race Monitor's additional features at this race for giggles.

(3) Maybe?

(4) Yeah, we know it sucked. We had audio issues and a bad headset and were doing lots of OTJ training.

(5) If we got lots of sponsors who could compensate us for travel and then some, sure. This was kind of a "Can it be done?" thing for me and Julian as well as for RaceCast.

(6) Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Getting the sponsor money will be the challenge. I know how to do the webcasting. Its trying to get to the point of just breaking even on the expenses that I couldn't do. Revenue sharing didn't work. With thousands of viewers the split was not even lunch money. That was surprising in a very disappointing way.

If Chump can sucker sponsors into paying for, what ever the hell those sticker sets are paying for, Rules encumbering costs, there's always someone willing to throw money at the illusion of marketing.

Living in NJ I loved the Race Monitor black flag reports.  My wife hated it because I was always checking out what stupid crap was going on.  It really made me appreciate the judges.  I knew people did dumb crap, but not that dumb.  It would be great to see that at every race.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix