Topic: Head Sock

Head socks....I actually did do a quick search (maybe not a great one), it doesn't look like they're necessary. 
It seems as though Lemons is pretty complete when it comes to safety.  Am I missing something?  Or are we allowed to gamble with our lower necks?

Re: Head Sock

It is not mandiatory but you can wear one, and is suggested if especially if you have facial hair.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Correct. They're not required.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Facial hair coverage +1
Helmet cleanliness +1000
Mullet coverage +1000000

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Wow!!
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I'm sure we'll have more questions.
We are getting mega-excited for our first
Race in April.  The Cure for Gingervitis

Here's our FB page.
We're having a blast building and planning.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamDirtyMikeandTheBoys/

I've been telling everyone I see at races with long hair or a beard hanging out of their helmet that they should get one so their heads don't become torches when their hoopties catch fire.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also it keeps the helmet cleaner and smelling much nicer than if you don't wear one. If you sweat the helmet liner will soak it up or the head sox will . Which is easier to change? Wash? I have two so I don't have to put on a damp one when I have to get back into the car.

With all of these comments in favor of them I will add one criticism: I tried one here in the frequently cold and humid Pacific Northwest and found that I couldn't avoid fogging my glasses* while wearing it under a helmet. This was the style with only a small opening for one's eyes. Therefore, should some sort of neck cover ever become required, I'll be looking into either the style with a large opening for the entire face or one of those helmet skirt things.

*Yes, they're prescription lenses. No, I can't see well enough to drive without them. No, I have no interest in contact lenses.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

*Yes, they're prescription lenses. No, I can't see well enough to drive without them. No, I have no interest in contact lenses.

Also blind without glasses.  I'd reconsider contacts if physically possible.  I currently use disposables that I only wear for racing.  They don't correct for my astigmatism as well as glasses but are still far superior to having my glasses move around with my helmet.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

The lower portion of most balaclavas can be pulled down around one's chin, which should help with the fogging while still providing many of those sweet nomexy benefits.

Scott

In the 5 Lemons race weekends we have done (all in the northeast), we have never been asked to show a balaclava in order to pass gear tech.

I can vouch for the fact that it does keep the lining of the helmet somewhat cleaner and less gross, but mostly I wear it so I don't have any unprotected skin showing (facial burns = bad).

Helmet skirts are another option, in addition to fire protection for your lower face and neck, they can keep dust and dirt from coming up into the helmet. Also, they can (from what I have heard) help keep cool air inside your helmet, if you use a helmet air cooling system. Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr- … swodCo0E-g

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

protection is very important, you should always wear a crowndom.

Too hot for me, I use a helmet skirt.