Topic: Crew members

Hello, I am 16 years old and was wondering if I could be a fuel man for the race in New Jersey on the weekend of May 12. Are there any specific rules saying that you have to be older than 16 to be a fuel man?

Re: Crew members

I don't see a specific rule that would prevent that. Being under 18 a parent or legal guardian will be required to sign you in at the track and sign for you on any team paperwork.

Read the rules regarding the safety clothing you'll need.

If you have any questions about rules you'll need to ask Lemons HQ. nick@24hoursoflemons.com.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules

As Chris stated, Nick will tell you everything, but I also believe you need to be listed as a crew member for the race.  That being said I have never seen wrist bands checked at NJMP or Gingerman when I raced at those.  Not saying it wouldn't happen though.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

You want to have a wristband for insurance reasons.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

You want to have a wristband for insurance reasons.

Absolutely. To do any work on a team that relates to the vehicle you will have to be at minimum a non-driving team member.

And the wristband is normally where it falls apart because not sure it is really worth $75 to pay for someone to help fuel.  If you want to help on a team there is normally a bunch of other things that you don't need the wristband for though.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

And the wristband is normally where it falls apart because not sure it is really worth $75 to pay for someone to help fuel.  If you want to help on a team there is normally a bunch of other things that you don't need the wristband for though.

careful there. If you have a spectator band, you are not supposed to touch the cars at all. Insurance reasons. If you want to help with the car at all you need either a crew or driver band. Spectator band you can basically watch and make food. Not saying that people don't stretch those rules, but if anything were to ever happen there would be some fun consequences.

To the OP, you can certainly sign up as crew if you find a team that will take you on. As mentioned, you'll need full fire gear and helmet if you want to help with fueling. And you'll need to be signed in by a parent. But if a team will have you it's a great way to get involved. If you can't find a team to crew for, you can still come as a spectator and hang out all weekend. Maybe you'll find a team to work with in the future.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
BoB wrote:

careful there. If you have a spectator band, you are not supposed to touch the cars at all. Insurance reasons. If you want to help with the car at all you need either a crew or driver band. Spectator band you can basically watch and make food. Not saying that people don't stretch those rules, but if anything were to ever happen there would be some fun consequences.

To the OP, you can certainly sign up as crew if you find a team that will take you on. As mentioned, you'll need full fire gear and helmet if you want to help with fueling. And you'll need to be signed in by a parent. But if a team will have you it's a great way to get involved. If you can't find a team to crew for, you can still come as a spectator and hang out all weekend. Maybe you'll find a team to work with in the future.

RIght you can't touch the car, but it seems where most teams really can use the car is in all the orginizational stuff at the track that doesn't involve touching the car.  Herding drivers, keeping track of time and when the car should pit, maybe some spotting, working the radios if they have it.  Possibly running to the gas station if you are running low on fuel, or to the parts store while the team starts tearing down whatever broke.  If you can man a grill to make lunch most teams will make you their favorite team member

Facebook Page

I agree with the above, just putting the warning out there that you need to be careful. I'd bet that anyone with a spectator band shouldn't be doing anything with gas, even just running to the gas station. I imagine insurance won't be a fan there.

Herding drivers, running radios, cooking, tracking stint times, those are all things that you can likely do.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Let's keep in mind that the OP asked about fueling the car which is clearly a team member activity. That will require being on a team roster as crew and wearing the correct wristband.

Yep...if it requires a fire suit...there is no question.  All the other "questions" have more to do with how liberal your team feels comfortable with the letter of the law.  In theory, even putting the cover on the car before the roving paddock party is against the rules for a spectator.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Yep...if it requires a fire suit...there is no question.  All the other "questions" have more to do with how liberal your team feels comfortable with the letter of the law.  In theory, even putting the cover on the car before the roving paddock party is against the rules for a spectator.

Is it? I would think track cold means we're off the coverage.

I thought No Stuntin' no Splodin' was more a being polite to the track thing not an insurance thing.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Remember Lemons is really one lawsuit away from not being around.  So if someone got injured or killed from stuntin or splodin and someone sues, even if it is baseless because they did it on their own, it still could be the end of Lemons if no one will insure it.

Facebook Page

It's irresponsible to put Lemons as we know it at risk to save a few bucks. Reminds me of those who choose to drive without insurance.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

In some cases it is not about money so much as poor planning.  We may or may not have had a spectator work on a totally unexpected engine swap when the track was still hot.  This was back in my early race days...but I admit somewhat similar situations have cropped up.