Topic: Colapsobile steering column

Ok   Been trying to figure way to  comply with the colapsobile steering column rule in a 1950 Hudson  . The problem is it has 3  on the tree shifter with linkage running down column also the steering is reversed through center steering .  Would build  a steel angled deflector be  better to insure column doesn't become spear .

Re: Colapsobile steering column

How about shortening the column shift portion and converting from the links to push/pull morse cables?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Could you not retrofit something from one of the earlier vehicles with collapsible columns?

I had a '72 Ford Maverick with 3 on the tree. According to vintage references the column was collapsible.

http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/ … 311008.pdf

3's on the tree were used through the 80's in all manner of domestic pickups.  Should be cheap and plentiful at boneyards.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I was looking for something  like that to try and swap but a lot of moving parts  to line up . I haven't given up  just thinking protect  steering column has the same end effect and less hacking .

decafe wrote:

... just thinking protect  steering column has the same end effect and less hacking .

When the topic of steering columns came up a few months ago, cheseroo reported from a conversation with John Pagel that "...he was pretty forceful in his assertion that fully homegrown solutions wouldn't fly for a collapsible steering column." My guess is that a homebrew protector/deflector would fall into this category. It might very well work but if it won't pass tech then its actual effectiveness is irrelevant.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We gave up and are going a totally different direction, but the answer was floor shift.  A "universal" 4-speed can be made to work.  The 1948 Plymouth just...um won't be getting that.

Yeah, I was trying to work out how I was going to put a collapsible column in the Imp and thinking i could section in a thin tube with shear bolts or something.  Pagel was pretty insistent that either an OEM collapsible column be retrofitted or one of the racing collapsible columns for late model, etc from Jegs/Summit/Speedway would be acceptable.  Even then, he wants to see what you are doing before you do it and as always,  execution is important.  Homebuilt solutions are very likely to fail.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

We used one of those collapsible columns with the built-in QR hub from Speedway, and for super extra crash compliance we also replaced our single u-joint-like device at the steering box with a double u-joint from Sweet Mfg. This requires an additional support bearing on the column. It's all together now, but there's a little too much slop at the steering wheel due to the locations we had to put the support bearings (things are a little tight in our car). We're actually going to add a 3rd heim joint up on the cage dash bar to reduce the slop. I'll post some pics after we get it all finished this weekend.

Ok so after some email with John and Jay . This is our plan  we have removed steering box and column from car . We are going to cut existing column about 2" from steering box then attach Howe sca500 colapsobile steering column. Then attach the other end of our column at other end so wheel fits . Then cut out louvers on the steering tube to weaken it . And so they can see the column inside tube . Then see if we can get the shifter linkage to work again. !  I hate taken apart things that work but understand the reasoning .  I could be working on things to go faster....

Ok so after some email with John and Jay . This is our plan  we have removed steering box and column from car . We are going to cut existing column about 2" from steering box then attach Howe sca500 colapsobile steering column. Then attach the other end of our column at other end so wheel fits . Then cut out louvers on the steering tube to weaken it . And so they can see the column inside tube . Then see if we can get the shifter linkage to work again. !  I hate taken apart things that work but understand the reasoning .  I could be working on things to go faster....