Re: NJ who's in?

Is that your car? The cage in that picture will fail tech. You need a continuous diagonal from the top to bottom of the main hoop.

Take a look at this: http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/H … s-Tech.pdf

I suspect there is quite a bit of cutting and welding in your near future.

SloppyJalopy wrote:

What about if this is your windshield and you have no other windows at all??

https://preview.ibb.co/bNh6RQ/IMG_0228.jpg

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Good eye!

God damn it!

Yes, that's our car. I'm hoping I can use that extra "cheater bar" piece that's laying on the pass side as the piece we can add in for the "top to bottom Diagonal"

SloppyJalopy wrote:

Good eye!

God damn it!

Yes, that's our car. I'm hoping I can use that extra "cheater bar" piece that's laying on the pass side as the piece we can add in for the "top to bottom Diagonal"

That diagonal needs to be one continuous bar, no breaks, no bends, no cuts. Looks like you're going to be cutting out that whole section to put a good diagonal in and then building the harness bar back up.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

They've allowed 2-piece diagonals before, just so long as both pieces are in the same plane as if they were 1 continuous bar just bisected by a horizontal (harness) bar.

If you search the forums, you'll find Evil Genius saying it is acceptable with the caveat that it is a quality job subject to at-the-track inspection.

I would think if they were to go a step further and complete that X, even as 2 pieces above and below the horizontal bar, they'd be more-than-good. It actually looks like the angle of those upper V would terminate at the bottom of the hoop if they were to continue, fortunately.

So cut out the _I_ bars and put in / and \

Check with John, Jeff G and/or Jay, though.

jeff@24hoursoflemons.com
Jay@24hoursoflemons.com
pagel@24hoursoflemons.com

SloppyJalopy wrote:

What about if this is your windshield and you have no other windows at all??

https://preview.ibb.co/bNh6RQ/IMG_0228.jpg

must be a Miata...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Far from Miata lol. I wish it was a Miata. Then it wouldn't be so big and the cage, fuel lines, wiring, etc. would all be half the lengths they are now and 1/2 the price spent on them. It's a Plymouth volaire or aspen or some hunk of wet goose poop like that

And it would handle much much much better if it were a Miata. This thing makes a Miata feel like a Ferrari

83 (edited by Tim_ 2017-05-11 06:31 AM)

Turtle Eclipse of the Heart will be there.

Just tried to book a garage and they're sold out. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. smile

http://i.imgur.com/L7OfwYE.jpg

We raced on Lightning a couple years back but this will be our first time on Thunderbolt.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

SloppyJalopy wrote:

Far from Miata lol. I wish it was a Miata. Then it wouldn't be so big and the cage, fuel lines, wiring, etc. would all be half the lengths they are now and 1/2 the price spent on them. It's a Plymouth volaire or aspen or some hunk of wet goose poop like that

oh mannnn Them's are fine pieces of American Iron you are belittling. Can you find a sheet of Lexan? Looks like Sat is about 60% and Sunday less than 25%.  I wouldn't want to race with an open face like that. Better wear a Pancho over your race suit...

85 (edited by noturavgM 2017-05-11 11:44 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Can you find a sheet of Lexan? Looks like Sat is about 60% and Sunday less than 25%.  I wouldn't want to race with an open face like that. Better wear a Pancho over your race suit...

Every weather report is basically agreeing on 1-2" of rain Saturday down SNJ.  60% sounds pretty optimistic!

Aspen/Volare? Which engine/transmission?

(please say slant six/automatic)

What's the deal if there is high wind and standing water on Sat?

Reports look like we could have 1-2" on the groun plus 30mph gust

Make sure your wipers work and hope the track drains well. I'd imagine it will for the type of racing they usually hold here.

Light rain isn't that much different than dry. A steady heavy rain is a different story.

Be very careful if you go off track at speed.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

Ford Explorer 5.0 efi with tremec t5

Slant 6  and the auto are long gone. But yes original slant six and auto car lol. That set up wouldn't make 1 lap

Tim_ wrote:

Make sure your wipers work and hope the track drains well. I'd imagine it will for the type of racing they usually hold here.

Light rain isn't that much different than dry. A steady heavy rain is a different story.

Be very careful if you go off track at speed.

Wipers and Rain-X were a life saver at NHMS last fall, that was all day rain but not so much standing pools of water

Sucks for the guys with rat screens as windshields.

Even if we get a piece of lexane installed in time. We would have to polish the snot of of it with rainX.

No wipers no winshield As of yet. Biggest issues to handle in 36 hours... like a rollcage and etc.

Thunderbolt does not drain well. There is lots of areas that puddle big time. Occasionally there's a stream that runs across the front straight and also up above wheelie hill after the Checane somewhere. And right at the bridge puddles up big time! At the bridge is the worst. Turn 8 if I remember correctly.  We've done "rain or shine" motorcycle races there that were cancelled because it puddles so bad.

SloppyJalopy wrote:

Thunderbolt does not drain well. There is lots of areas that puddle big time. Occasionally there's a stream that runs across the front straight and also up above wheelie hill after the Checane somewhere. And right at the bridge puddles up big time! At the bridge is the worst. Turn 8 if I remember correctly.  We've done "rain or shine" motorcycle races there that were cancelled because it puddles so bad.

T1 braking zone gets pretty nautical IIRC.

That's probably where I remember the running stream across the front straight lmao

SloppyJalopy wrote:

Slant 6  and the auto are long gone. But yes original slant six and auto car lol. That set up wouldn't make 1 lap

/6 will last all race, just won't be fast

97 (edited by Tim_ 2017-06-01 07:17 AM)

Last race lap from the #531 - Turtle Eclipse of the Heart.

I was behind the #2 Rally Baby AMC for position (the car in front as the video opens), but didn't realize he was still a lap or two ahead.

First time I was able to take a checker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzaOePGYP8