Topic: NJMP LIVE ACTION!

here's a short video from Sunday. See if you can spot your team, 2 Glue Stick cars make an appearance.
I'll get some more up after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ&t=253s

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: NJMP LIVE ACTION!

Thanks for the video.  It's amazing to watch the difference a driver makes.  What time of day was this?

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

Thanks for the video.  It's amazing to watch the difference a driver makes.  What time of day was this?

Not sure... It had to be earlier in the day as we were parked with an oil issue from 12:30 to 1:30ish. I'll be posting more later in the afternoon.

meyers0150 wrote:

What happened to your NX200?

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

n0m4d wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

it fell pray to the "oh no yellow flag I'm slamming on my brakes" thing. I'm sure they can explain it better. Seems like a guy hit the brakes hard on a yellow and the NX did the same except it spun and collected something hard.
Speaking of grabbing a ton of brakes after seeing yellow, did anybody catch that almost disaster on the front straight by the tower?....White TR7 spinning inches away from the wall??

Mr.Yuck wrote:
n0m4d wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

it fell pray to the "oh no yellow flag I'm slamming on my brakes" thing. I'm sure they can explain it better. Seems like a guy hit the brakes hard on a yellow and the NX did the same except it spun and collected something hard.
Speaking of grabbing a ton of brakes after seeing yellow, did anybody catch that almost disaster on the front straight by the tower?....White TR7 spinning inches away from the wall??

Yea, that's what happened.  Right into a wall.  We did get it back on track for the last two laps of the race after straightening it back out with some chains and pickup trucks.  We traded a bottle of home brew cider for a radiator from a 95 Civic and found a cap for it from 3PM.  Welded the bumper and front motor mount back together and got it rolling.  We forgot the fenders and they made us come back in for that, so a few self-tappers and it was back out again.  I was next to go in until the crash happened, but everyone reported it was a blast to drive.  I hope to be picking up a donor car Saturday for parts and bring the fixed NX up to Thompson.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

7 (edited by RobL 2017-05-18 02:16 PM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

Not sure... It had to be earlier in the day as we were parked with an oil issue from 12:30 to 1:30ish. I'll be posting more later in the afternoon.

Sunday, last driver in your car...  They and I had a good time going for a bunch of laps.  I was in the plaid mustang.  Our camera power was knocked out - any footage would be great.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

8 (edited by MZAVARIN 2017-05-18 08:11 PM)

RobL wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

Sunday, last driver in your car...  They and I had a good time going for a bunch of laps.  I was in the plaid mustang.  Our camera power was knocked out - any footage would be great.

Power knocked out because of plowing, rear ending a black and yellow prelude before the straight?
I am not 100% sure it was you, but right after being hit hard, you passed/swerved around me, so I assumed it was you....

OK, no hard feelings...no serious damage was done...

As opposed to Saturday just after 3pm when a (?? Rally Baby)  car his us hard from behind and took our exhaust off...

We must have an attractive behind....

z

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

9 (edited by RobL 2017-05-19 04:50 AM)

MZAVARIN wrote:

Power knocked out because of plowing, rear ending a black and yellow prelude before the straight?
I am not 100% sure it was you, but right after being hit hard, you passed/swerved around me, so I assumed it was you....

As opposed to Saturday just after 3pm when a (?? Rally Baby)  car his us hard from behind and took our exhaust off...

z

That was me, I'll own that.  From my perspective.....   I was behind you during the turn and started pulling alongside after the turn (my fender was alongside your door) but you kept tracking out and moving left.  I moved all the way over onto the rumble strip and was just short of putting two wheels off and braking as hard as I could.  There was nowhere for me to go.  I was scared for you because it was going to be a PITT type of hit (my front corner to your rear corner) at the edge of the track and could have put you into the the grass and wall if you couldn't control it.  I'm sorry for the contact and that was my responsibility as the passing driver but I didn't expect you to move all the way to the left after the turn while in traffic (the whole lanes not lines thing Steve says). 

--Rob

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

I was in the car at the time. We may have run out of memory. I'll check when I get home or if I have a minute at work.  I was in the car the last 45 minutes or so, I don't think I got one clean all out lap. Tons of traffic and tons of yellow flags.

RobL wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

z

That was me, I'll own that.  From my perspective.....   I was behind you during the turn and started pulling alongside after the turn (my fender was alongside your door) but you kept tracking out and moving left.  I moved all the way over onto the rumble strip and was just short of putting two wheels off and braking as hard as I could.  There was nowhere for me to go.  I was scared for you because it was going to be a PITT type of hit (my front corner to your rear corner) at the edge of the track and could have put you into the the grass and wall if you couldn't control it.  I'm sorry for the contact and that was my responsibility as the passing driver but I didn't expect you to move all the way to the left after the turn while in traffic (the whole lanes not lines thing Steve says). 

--Rob

I had the exact same experience with this car during the same shift ending Sunday, between turns 4 and 5, in the Giraffe Civic. .  I probably shouldn't have stuck my nose in there in retrospect, but was nearly alongside when I had to brake hard to avoid going off track, I thought they would leave a little room, but they continued to track all the way to the right to setup for 5.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

RobL wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

z

--Rob

Hi Rob!
That Student Driver sign on our car is partly serious/partly a joke...we have amateurs on our team, including me....which is why we do Lemons, and not Chump, WRL, AER, etc.
I try to balance out -staying out of the way of fast cars, and being predictable.  With the Prelude, as I accelerated into the straight, it gets a bit scary...especially if there are many cars around me...I am afraid that it will lose traction....so I tend to take that turn wide...and to let cars pass on the inside...
I did not see you come up from behind...some of the fast cars can catch up to me fast, even though I check my mirrors frequently, and appear out of nowhere....
It is challenging constantly changing from line to lane driving, depending on how many fast cars are around me.  I mean, I want to RACE, line drive, but fast cars come up quickly, so then I need to switch to Lane, and then back to Line after they pass, then etc.

What's a PITT type of hit?
Thanks for being concerned for our safety, and using your skills to avoid a worse situation...

Take care and hope you make it to Thompson!

Mike Z

Sonic wrote:
RobL wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

z

--Rob

I had the exact same experience with this car during the same shift ending Sunday, between turns 4 and 5, in the Giraffe Civic. .  I probably shouldn't have stuck my nose in there in retrospect, but was nearly alongside when I had to brake hard to avoid going off track, I thought they would leave a little room, but they continued to track all the way to the right to setup for 5.

Hi Giraffe Civic!
Love the car!  Amazing how fast you made it!
Sorry if I got in your way.  I'll keep my eyes open for you, now that I realize how much faster your car runs....hope you make it to Thompson...I'll try to give you some "point-by's"

See my lame explanation to Rob, above.

Take care
Mike z

MZAVARIN wrote:

https://youtu.be/4g4CIYR7lIk

RobL wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

https://youtu.be/4g4CIYR7lIk

That dude has some skills or some luck....

I try to balance out -staying out of the way of fast cars, and being predictable.  With the Prelude, as I accelerated into the straight, it gets a bit scary...especially if there are many cars around me...I am afraid that it will lose traction....so I tend to take that turn wide...and to let cars pass on the inside...
I did not see you come up from behind...some of the fast cars can catch up to me fast, even though I check my mirrors frequently, and appear out of nowhere....

I'll be honest.  If cars are appearing out of nowhere, then you are being overwhelmed in the driver seat.  That is not a good thing and, as happened, you were driving into people.  That is the opposite of being predictable. 

I've been the slowest car on track.  Things that can help: 
Be comfortable in the seat - have your mirrors adjusted, make sure all your controls are within reach, and basically have no additional stress come from the actual act of driving the car. 
Watch you mirrors - cars are going to come from behind you.  They are going to tell you how they want to pass, believe it or not.  They are going to set-up on the side they are going to pass you on.  So if they are more on your drivers side then directly behind you, they they want to pass on that side.  You need to watch for that.
Point people by - It doesn't need to be everyone, BUT if a car is coming up and they are setting up to pass on a side that you don't want them to pass you on, point them by on the other side.  It's an acknowledgement that you saw them and that you are going to make it easy for them to pass.  Then, of course, make it easy to pass
Watch for frustrated drivers - So a driver catches you and you think you are having a grand old time keeping them behind you...  Not so much for the driver behind.  If they caught you, and are staying behind you, they are faster than you and you are [intentionally/unintentionally] blocking them.  Every minute they are there, is another minute they may try a desperate pass might take both of you out.  Just let them by.
Be small on track - This one is hard to explain but with 100+ cars on track, everyone needs to be a little small.  This means minimal unnecessary movements, staying near the edges of the track, not putting your car between two or more cars that are racing each other.

RobL wrote:

I'll be honest.  If cars are appearing out of nowhere, then you are being overwhelmed in the driver seat.  That is not a good thing and, as happened, you were driving into people.  That is the opposite of being predictable. 

I've been the slowest car on track.  Things that can help: 
Be comfortable in the seat - have your mirrors adjusted, make sure all your controls are within reach, and basically have no additional stress come from the actual act of driving the car. 
Watch you mirrors - cars are going to come from behind you.  They are going to tell you how they want to pass, believe it or not.  They are going to set-up on the side they are going to pass you on.  So if they are more on your drivers side then directly behind you, they they want to pass on that side.  You need to watch for that.
Point people by - It doesn't need to be everyone, BUT if a car is coming up and they are setting up to pass on a side that you don't want them to pass you on, point them by on the other side.  It's an acknowledgement that you saw them and that you are going to make it easy for them to pass.  Then, of course, make it easy to pass
Watch for frustrated drivers - So a driver catches you and you think you are having a grand old time keeping them behind you...  Not so much for the driver behind.  If they caught you, and are staying behind you, they are faster than you and you are [intentionally/unintentionally] blocking them.  Every minute they are there, is another minute they may try a desperate pass might take both of you out.  Just let them by.
Be small on track - This one is hard to explain but with 100+ cars on track, everyone needs to be a little small.  This means minimal unnecessary movements, staying near the edges of the track, not putting your car between two or more cars that are racing each other.

anybody that races w/o a spotter at one of these events is a fool. There are too many cars with much different performance pakages.

18 (edited by Tim_ 2017-05-20 08:35 AM)

< fool checking in.

Even with a spotter - they couldn't possibly see the entire track.

Personally I would not want a person chattering in my ear when I'm in a pack of cars - I find it very distracting.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

Tim_ wrote:

< fool checking in.

Even with a spotter - they couldn't possibly see the entire track.

Personally I would not want a person chattering in my ear when I'm in a pack of cars - I find it very distracting.

You can most of that track... And it isn't "chatter" it's something like all; clear, one inside, they are wrecking on the front straight... caution in 4... green after 6...with the Hans on it is hard to see what is going on around you, even with mirrors. I'd rather focus on what is in front of me, the spotter helps.

I'm with Tim_ .  There are tracks where it is absolutely impossible to to spot without a dedicated team of spotters.  For my team since we travel all over, it's easier to just do without and not lean on that crutch.  We've learned to keep track of the cars around us.  It's become second nature on the track.

Midway through a straight, look around for cars - get an approx number and relative speed.  Going into a brake zone, look in the mirror to see if anyone is going up the inside.  On turn in, check your outside turn mirror to see if there's a car who might go around the outside.  Make adjustments mid-corner to leave room and not hit anyone you are passing or being passed by.  Only hit your apex and track out if you are absolutely sure there won't car there.  Rinse, repeat. 

If you are relying on a spotter, you are getting slightly delayed information.  They have to see something, translate that something into words, then transmit those words over the radio.  'Clear inside' is a relative term depending on a left or right turn and doesn't apply at all on a straight.  A wreck on the front straight when you are halfway around the track isn't information you need to know since you will see the yellow flags when you are coming up on it.  Whatever works for you, works - right? 

If your HANS is preventing full range of motion of your head, that is a safety issue and you need to get a longer tether.  http://www.jegs.com/p/HANS-Performance- … 9/10002/-1

RobL wrote:

I'm with Tim_ .  There are tracks where it is absolutely impossible to to spot without a dedicated team of spotters.  For my team since we travel all over, it's easier to just do without and not lean on that crutch.  We've learned to keep track of the cars around us.  It's become second nature on the track.

Midway through a straight, look around for cars - get an approx number and relative speed.  Going into a brake zone, look in the mirror to see if anyone is going up the inside.  On turn in, check your outside turn mirror to see if there's a car who might go around the outside.  Make adjustments mid-corner to leave room and not hit anyone you are passing or being passed by.  Only hit your apex and track out if you are absolutely sure there won't car there.  Rinse, repeat. 

If you are relying on a spotter, you are getting slightly delayed information.  They have to see something, translate that something into words, then transmit those words over the radio.  'Clear inside' is a relative term depending on a left or right turn and doesn't apply at all on a straight.  A wreck on the front straight when you are halfway around the track isn't information you need to know since you will see the yellow flags when you are coming up on it.  Whatever works for you, works - right? 

If your HANS is preventing full range of motion of your head, that is a safety issue and you need to get a longer tether.  http://www.jegs.com/p/HANS-Performance- … 9/10002/-1

not so much the tether.. just the seat, hans and all. we have the "head rests" on either side. I like the spotter... of course they aren't always there, but it helps. to each his own.

22 (edited by Sonic 2017-05-20 07:22 PM)

For all of the things that Rob said: 

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

We will totally be at Thompson, and NHMS.  We certainly have worked on the car a bit, it turns out that if you have all 4 cylinders with fairly even compression then the car is faster, who knew. Our drivers also vary a bit in skill, so our speed varies accordingly.  More boost also helps!  Thanks for being willing to discuss all of this in the never ending quest to improve, all of us could benefit from the same attitude you have here.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia