Topic: '76 gremlin stock tank ok?

Building a 2nd car now- '76 Gremlin.  Stock tank is in good shape, but is closer to the rear bumper than I'd like- it's about 8" from the bumper to the tank.   The bumper and mounts are in very good shape- question is, even though tank is good and is stock, is there a scenario where the factory tank is NOT approved by tech due to its location?   

I know we can add a fuel cell, but this whole deal is way behind as the floors are basically GONE.  Way more fab work than we originally thought just to make it safe to add a cage.

Team Orca

2 (edited by -SDR- 2017-05-20 09:53 AM)

Re: '76 gremlin stock tank ok?

At NJMP I had the chance to speak with Dale on a few things, and during that, he brought up, IIRC, that 6" distance is minimum. 

That said, yes, I can think of a few cars I would not run a stock tank in, like a 60's Stang due to it being the trunk floor.  As long as you patch the floors properly and the trunk floor is not the gas tank, I can't think of a reason why I would not run a stock tank on a Gremlin. The 76s have big rear bumpers too.   As a matter of fact, I would run a stock tank in my Pinto if the car still had the stock rear floor.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2