Topic: Overfilling manual transmission - any problems?

For dumb reasons, my transaxle has to be upside down (don't ask) and in order to have the diff lubed, the entire input shaft needs to be submerged in oil, and a bit of the output shaft as well.

Is there a problem with it? Or should I just drill some holes and lube the differential actively with a pump?

K Car Stalker

Re: Overfilling manual transmission - any problems?

I'd expect the following effects
1) All the fluid will escape from the breather(s). You'll have to relocate that.
2) The seals probably aren't made to have meaningful pressure (the weight of the oil and some thermal expansion/aeration) behind them and may leak.
3) Parasitic power losses => more heat.

#1 isn't a big deal if you've reached the point you're seriously talking about flipping a transmission upside down to fit your application
#3 is probably not a concern.

#2 will assuredly be an issue if you solve #1 without replacing it. Otherwise, who the hell knows.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

914's came with a 901 in tail or side shift.

I think there is an upgrade running a 915 upside down. It doesn't seam to mind.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Overfilling it can cause the oil to foam up. If it foams too much it can starve the bearings for oil. Both under and over filling aren't great. But with it upside down its really hard to say where the oil level needs to be. You could do some testing and check for foaming.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?