Topic: li'l tap at vodden

183 meets 103 as seen from 171. Don't know who 103 is; couldn't find 'em on mylaps results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJUbbqBE_dQ

Gary
Old Crows
#171  Austin Powers Shagstang
#907 Goldmember Jensen Healey
Santa Rosa, CA

Re: li'l tap at vodden

Ooops, that was very impatient and not very nice...

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

Agreed, not nice at all.

Yes, not nice. I believe that move is called a Melania.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TEIAdvg34vRbq/giphy.gif

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Posted this on FB, but this is the identical move Misfits 183 did to to me at Sonoma:

https://youtu.be/bqcmkG6iU3Y?t=30s

Team Co-Captain - Bodge Engineering - The Rolex (1981 Rover 3500 SD1 with Lexus 1UZ-FE V8) and the Sterling (1991 Sterling 827SL - Organizer's Choice and IOE winner!)

mrpeugeot wrote:

Posted this on FB, but this is the identical move Misfits 183 did to to me at Sonoma:

https://youtu.be/bqcmkG6iU3Y?t=30s

I wouldn't exactly say that's the same thing.  In the OP the oncoming rear car was no where close to having position and just took out the front car.  In your situation the passing car was quickly gaining position and your driver was unaware of the traffic and turned into him.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

I disagree. Watch it again. If you're coming up on two cars headed towards an apex, both of those cars are neck and neck, and the outer car is moving in towards the apex, where is the inner car supposed to go? Given that this is Lemons, it's a dangerous and irresponsible choice to try and dive bomb them into the apex.

Team Co-Captain - Bodge Engineering - The Rolex (1981 Rover 3500 SD1 with Lexus 1UZ-FE V8) and the Sterling (1991 Sterling 827SL - Organizer's Choice and IOE winner!)

It's always interesting to monday morning quarterback these things.  This one is interesting to me in that the early part of the video shows 103 being aware of 102 and giving them room to pass.  Then 103 seems to be kind of oblivious to the camera car in the downhill of 9E and then later having contact with 183.  No doubt 183 is at fault here but if I'm the camera car I'm going to be wondering to myself why the guy is alternating between giving room and not giving room.  Since we also see just a snippet of the camera car being pretty careful with 103, I'm going to wildly speculate there was a fair bit of room/no-room behavior before this.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I take full responsibility for this being the driver of the BMW. We were running 7th overall at the time and I was really hustling. I misgauged how slow #103 was going, was carrying too much speed and just barely caught and turned him.  Ending someone's day or sitting in the penalty box is not why we are out there.  Sorry about that 103. I will look you guys up at the next race to apologize in person.

Thanks for owning up there. This is easily avoidable contact in a sketchy area of the track where cars are unsettled as they bounce of the curbs going down the hill. Check up, wait for either the wide sweeping left hander coming up next or the rather open right hander immediately after. Five - ten seconds of patience and you would have been on your way and both cars would have just kept racing.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

I appreciate the apology, but don't understand the explanation. After passing the camera car, you hang back on 103, and barely gain 1/4 of a car length in 4 seconds, moving up just enough to snag them. It didn't even look like you were trying for the pass at the time, instead you were waiting, but waiting too close, so that when he did move over, you touched.

Being on another cars 1/4 in a turn is the worst place to be. They probably havent seen you. Either get well up along side before the apex so they can't miss seeing you, or hang back.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

FYI: The 103 guy have 3 or 4 different 3-Series BMWs, usually numbers 101 through 104. They're all pretty plain-looking, but the team are usually around the NorCal races with at least two of their Bimmers. I think they might run/work at a BMW dealership or FORNCAR shop?

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

FYI: The 103 guy have 3 or 4 different 3-Series BMWs, usually numbers 101 through 104. They're all pretty plain-looking, but the team are usually around the NorCal races with at least two of their Bimmers. I think they might run/work at a BMW dealership or FORNCAR shop?

I guess that explains why the 102 got the free pass.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Steve W wrote:

I appreciate the apology, but don't understand the explanation. After passing the camera car, you hang back on 103, and barely gain 1/4 of a car length in 4 seconds, moving up just enough to snag them. It didn't even look like you were trying for the pass at the time, instead you were waiting, but waiting too close, so that when he did move over, you touched.

Being on another cars 1/4 in a turn is the worst place to be. They probably havent seen you. Either get well up along side before the apex so they can't miss seeing you, or hang back.

That kinda looks like making a bold decision to stick it in there immediately followed by indecision/hoping its gonna work out.

Gone bye-bye

15 (edited by mjreed23 2017-05-23 07:34 PM)

Steve W you are correct to a certain degree.  I had a great run off the previous corner was intending to pass 103 then realized we were going to run out of real estate. So I lifted to give space but was carrying to much speed, barely touched, which unfortunately led to the 103 get turned around.  It wasn't intentional just a racing thing that with a little more patience on my behalf most likely could have been avoided.

Thanks therood for the deets on 103.  I will look them up at Sears.

mrpeugeot wrote:

I disagree. Watch it again. If you're coming up on two cars headed towards an apex, both of those cars are neck and neck, and the outer car is moving in towards the apex, where is the inner car supposed to go? Given that this is Lemons, it's a dangerous and irresponsible choice to try and dive bomb them into the apex.

Especially T1 at Sears where we've seen that kind of crash play out before.

Along the same lines, I put a pass on the Rolex on Saturday afternoon that I ain't too proud of.  It was at the bottom of the hill on the start of the new track.  Next time you see us, come collect a beer.

-Brian
Team Rotary Rooter

17 (edited by chdonley2 2017-05-26 09:46 PM)

As long as we are using this thread to report unnecessary contact......
WTF car #41?? The Avanti was trying to keep away from the race line and giving point-bys  and still you clip our front fender passing near the top of the hill? I'm really disappointed by your lack of patience.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

Steve W wrote:

we have a few guys out here on the east coast that will make it 3 wide on a turn...jamming there crap can between cars or hang it inside/outside forcing the pass. I can understand this if it is close to the end and you are in competition, but it is all race... last year we had a guy slam into out pass door making it 3 wide in a turn to pass, same guy this year caused me to put 2 in the grass going 3 wide. Then he split the 2 slower cars in front of me. All he needed to do was wait, as I did until the straight and wing by both.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Steve W wrote:

we have a few guys out here on the east coast that will make it 3 wide on a turn...jamming there crap can between cars or hang it inside/outside forcing the pass. I can understand this if it is close to the end and you are in competition, but it is all race... last year we had a guy slam into out pass door making it 3 wide in a turn to pass, same guy this year caused me to put 2 in the grass going 3 wide. Then he split the 2 slower cars in front of me. All he needed to do was wait, as I did until the straight and wing by both.

Those guys still don't understand that an endurance race is not won in a single turn.

Until you do that you can't win a Lemons race.

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

Camerlengo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Steve W wrote:

Those guys still don't understand that an endurance race is not won in a single turn.

Until you do that you can't win a Lemons race.

well these are cars that "podium" often...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

billybobster wrote:

Yes, not nice. I believe that move is called a Melania.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TEIAdvg34vRbq/giphy.gif

And now, that big BMW on little BMW style move can be called a Donald as well.

http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/17/21/480x240/landscape-1495730847-shove.gif

Comin' thru!

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

mjreed23 wrote:

Steve W you are correct to a certain degree.  I had a great run off the previous corner was intending to pass 103 then realized we were going to run out of real estate. So I lifted to give space but was carrying to much speed, barely touched, which unfortunately led to the 103 get turned around.  It wasn't intentional just a racing thing that with a little more patience on my behalf most likely could have been avoided.

Thanks therood for the deets on 103.  I will look them up at Sears.

Honestly, that doesn't make much sense either. just the tiniest touch on the brakes in the 4 seconds before contact would have prevented a lot of pain for the 103 team, but we can see from the brake lights that you didn't brake until after contact...

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

chdonley2 wrote:

WTF car #42?? The Avanti was trying to keep away from the race line and giving point-bys  and still you clip our front fender passing near the top of the hill? I'm really disappointed by your lack of patience.

42? The Shaguar???  Am disappointed....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
chdonley2 wrote:

WTF car #41?? The Avanti was trying to keep away from the race line and giving point-bys  and still you clip our front fender passing near the top of the hill? I'm really disappointed by your lack of patience.

42? The Shaguar???  Am disappointed....

damn I wish I could type gooder. 41  41  41 that car.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

Hey all my name is Ken I am head of car 102,103,104. With Lemons we r the redneck outlaws. I suppose we don't mingle enough at the events, so Just clear up a few details we don't work for BMW I wish my parts would be cheaper!! Lol  Most of my team is from and paid for by our sponsor Silvermark homes a construction company I work for. we probably don't mingle much cause we don't get many days off work so either its cars or sleep.  I do have a few odd drivers that don't work for smc like grandpa who went farming as seen on the video.  Another comment on free pass just to clear up is we have a radio system 102 witch was running great other than bad driving in a couple corners asked for release and my 103 that we had been working on all weekend gave way.  As all you guys know it's hard to see all when in all that gear and so many things going on.   Okay know that you know about my team we have studied the video our selves have to admit first time watched I was upset you know what a dick move and all but at same time I see fault in my guy as well.  He was following his usual line maybe a little slower than all the others but that's why we call him grandpa.  He did turn left into the guys front end and the other car knows better than to go off the track u get black flagged for that no matter what....  Some times the rules suck when u r trying to be fair.  Thank you for the comments and in the end apology we will have to chalk it up to we r out racing $&@$# happens.

Thank u all we enjoy this sport
Ken