1 (edited by skivittlerjimb 2017-05-23 05:07 PM)

Topic: Newest Saab in Lemons?

At the last race at NJMP there was a 250,000 mile 9-5 wagon, I think. Anyone know what year it was?

2002 model year and much newer 9-3's and 9-2x's are not nearing Lemons money, they are at Lemons money. I am a bit surprised I haven 't seen a Saabaru as the "first WRX" in Lemons nor have I seen the 200+ hp 2.0 liter turbo 9-3. Now that I own a 2008 9-3 2.0T, my mind is wondering if a torquey, fuel-efficient 2.0 turbo GM Ecotec with Saab engine management and goodies could ever possibly stand up to 14 hours of Lemons racing...

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Re: Newest Saab in Lemons?

2008:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=34010

oh hi, that's mine.

2008 9-5 Aero wagon, 254k miles before we started racing it. It's held up ok. NH it ran all race. At NJ we blew an AC line finally which somehow screwed up the fans, so we fought overheating. I think we've got it solved. The car is reasonably quick, but nowhere near the top of the field. waaaay too heavy.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Hmm, the 9-3s aren't that much lighter than the 9-5's, surprisingly. Only about 200 lbs. less...

Still it seems like both the 2.3 and the 2.0 turbo engines can make good power. Just wonder how the six speed manual tranny, wheel bearings, and all that other stuff that likes to break would hold up.

Our 9-5 has the 2.3 and a 5 speed trans. We got it on the scales at NH Saturday night, it's 3,378lbs with no driver and about 1/2 tank fuel.

Tans seems fine, though the shift linkage did loosen up at NJ. by the end we had 3rd and 4th, which is all we needed for that track. Wheel bearings have been ok, no idea how many miles are on those. We're generally fairly gentle on cars. We do need to sort out a bunch of bushings since they're just generally worn out.

If i'm not mistaken the 2.3 is the saab motor that's been around forever and the 2.0 is the GM motor that was thrown in the 9-3 after the purchase of saab. Our 2.3 seems fairly robust, and was insanely clean when we opened it up to check a few things. I know essentially nothing about the 2.0. However the 2.3 seems to have responded well to pulling out the balance shaft chain and giving it a straight 2.5" exhaust.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

skivittlerjimb wrote:

........Just wonder how the manual tranny, wheel bearings, and all that other stuff that likes to break would hold up.

Wanna find out?  I just replaced my 97 turbo convertible as my DD with the $1 Jag I posted on here a while back.  $500. Was about to put it up on CL.  Runs, drives, etc.  Perfect for hauling disassembled Harleys that get turned into ToyoHogs.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

skivittlerjimb wrote:

Hmm, the 9-3s aren't that much lighter than the 9-5's, surprisingly. Only about 200 lbs. less...

Still it seems like both the 2.3 and the 2.0 turbo engines can make good power. Just wonder how the six speed manual tranny, wheel bearings, and all that other stuff that likes to break would hold up.

Stripped weight vs factory curb...whole different thing.  Depending on the 9-3 it is a cobalt...they are light once yo remove everything non-race-required.

Most 9-5's are still 9000's with all the Swedish goodness intakes in the chassis.  Stripped, much less weight lose on the percentage basis.

I dunno, I've been watching WRX's and Saabaru wrecks at auction (I have projects) and they still go for stoopid money. I can't imagine a roller being much better.

Unless this is a regional "Everything is more expensive in the northeast because rustmonster" thing.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6142194000.html

$1,900 for a Saabaru WRX clone. Pretty sure you could sell off $1,400 worth of stuff.

As for the 9-3, the 2.0 Ecotec from GM seems to have a good reputation for reliability as in the Saab application the wick is turned way, way down from what it is in the turbo Cobalt SS. The Saab still has all the Saab engine management stuff, not GM, and that seems to have a reputation for being very finicky about messing with anything and possibly throwing codes and going into limp mode. However, ECU re-flashes are easy and cheap and 250hp+ (essentially matching a stock Cobalt SS) is doable without larger injectors and such.

Mostly this is just frustration talking. Our KA24E Nissan has been simple yes, but not that robust. Plus the chassis is beat to hell. Grumble. We'll likely be doing a head gasket at the track at Denver on Friday before the race.

Shouldn't the goal be to improve upon the record for the oldest, which I believe still stands at 1967?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Shouldn't the goal be to improve upon the record for the oldest, which I believe still stands at 1967?

Race what makes you happy. Some love the old and weird, some love fast and reliable. I've now dabbled in both and both are fun. After years of slow and unreliable it's fun to race a faster modern car with family.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

12 (edited by MZAVARIN 2017-05-25 06:07 PM)

Mutually exclusive?
How about old, weird, fast, and reliable....my dream....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

Mutually exclusive?

ROBOT ARMS this is IMPOSSIBLE!

OnkelUdo wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

Mutually exclusive?

ROBOT ARMS this is IMPOSSIBLE!

It truly is.  Best I've done is our 92/3? NX2000 that we bought from another team, but we smashed that into a wall so you have to put reliable driving in there somewhere too, lol!

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

We plan to prove you wrong and honestly the certain team on the west cost already has.