1 (edited by gump 2017-06-01 10:30 AM)

Topic: Eliminating ABS unit - tell me what you know

Engine out clean-up of the engine compartment.  New motor has intake piping conflict with ABS unit.  Fuse has been pulled since day one.  I want to yank the ABS unit and re-plumb the brake system.  I think this is straight forward (ss tubing, double flare tool, bender, patience).  What am I missing?

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Re: Eliminating ABS unit - tell me what you know

I can't speak for your car but I know when some tbirds switch to a manual ABS they might need to swap out the brake proportioning valve as well or the brake balance gets a little wonky. Your chassis might have a similar issue so I'd start googling.

(working ABS systems for the early 89-92 tbirds are like hen's teeth and can sell for more than the value of the car to the right car nerd)

PS. Is there any way to save ABS? I know our fatass tbird can out brake other lighter cars w/o flat spotting the tires not because of our driver skill but because we still have our stock system in place.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

The only way is to relocate it.  We have never used it and the car brakes with the best.  The proportioning issue is exactly the kind of thing I knew I wasn't thinking about.

gunn wrote:

I can't speak for your car but I know when some tbirds switch to a manual ABS they might need to swap out the brake proportioning valve as well or the brake balance gets a little wonky. Your chassis might have a similar issue so I'd start googling.

(working ABS systems for the early 89-92 tbirds are like hen's teeth and can sell for more than the value of the car to the right car nerd)

PS. Is there any way to save ABS? I know our fatass tbird can out brake other lighter cars w/o flat spotting the tires not because of our driver skill but because we still have our stock system in place.

-g

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon

With the Vulva, you will have metric fittings,
but you may also have bubble flares, not double flares.
Just keep that in mind when buying fittings.
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/graphics/brake-lines.png

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

gump wrote:

Engine out clean-up of the engine compartment.  New motor has intake piping conflict with ABS unit.  Fuse has been pulled since day one.  I want to yank the ABS unit and re-plumb the brake system.  I think this is straight forward (ss tubing, double flare tool, bender, patience).  What am I missing?

why do you want to disable it?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

It's never been enabled.  It just sits there taking up space and now its in the way.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
gump wrote:

New motor has intake piping conflict with ABS unit.

why do you want to disable it?

Thanks, helpful.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

With the Vulva, you will have metric fittings,
but you may also have bubble flares, not double flares.
Just keep that in mind when buying fittings.
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/graphics/brake-lines.png

I eliminated the ABS on my Renault/Nissan mashup.  At first, I thought that keeping the ABS would be nice... turns out, no.  Something about the rear brakes being where the ECU thought the front brakes should be.... go figure.

Anyway, in my case there was a separate ECU for the ABS.  I just unplugged it and threw it away.  Took out the pump, all the proportioning valves, etc. and binned them as well.  Fabricated new lines, and installed a Wilwood proportioning valve in the rear circuit, which I mounted to the dash bar so that I could dial in the brake balance while driving.  Now that I have it where I want it I haven't touched it in 2 races.

BUY ONE OF THESE:  http://www.tooltopia.com/mastercool-714 … oCDOjw_wcB

This tool makes flaring tubing a breeze.  Can do inverted flare, metric bubble, GM fuel line bubble flare, and just about everything else... but the main reason to have one is that since it presses on itself hydraulically, you can use it IN PLACE.  This means that you don't need to remove the entire length of whatever you're flaring so that you can bring the piece to the vice.  Seriously, you can do a flare in about 30 seconds, without removing the line from the vehicle.. this is a lifesaver, particularly if you need to fix something during a race.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.