1 (edited by HAZE33 2017-03-14 10:00 AM)

Topic: Falken Azenis RT615K+

Just saw that there is a new version of the RT615K called the RT615K+.  Anyone tried these yet?

I'm curious to hear how they compare to the old RT615K, Star Spec, Rival, etc

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/falken/fa_azenis_rt615k_plus_pdpfullexpand.jpg

Re: Falken Azenis RT615K+

I'll be able to tell you after the NJ race.  I just received mine yesterday.

I couldn't believe when I went on Tire Rack that they had these and the price, 225/50/16 for only $106 each, plus a $100 card for buying a set of 4.  Makes me wish I could afford another set right now.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

3 (edited by HAZE33 2017-03-14 11:37 AM)

Yea, it's a great price.  Supposedly the + is a new compound (all-new digitally-engineered, nanotech-formulated compound for superior grip and excellent handling - hahaha).   Hopefully they haven't gone the way of the rival s, and still have good durability

Also a good time to buy Star Specs, because there's a $50 mail in rebate, which doubles to $100 if you get the free goodyear credit card.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to recommend EVERYONE get the $15/tire heat cycling service.  It's easily doubled our tire life.

got my self a set too. Lets see how it holds up....

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

We put them on our Focus for Gingerman. They held up well. Better grip than the Hankook Ventus RS3's we ran the two previous races. Prob get at least a 1/2-3/4 of another race out of them.

We had them on for Sears Pointless. None of us could tel l the difference. We're not that good at this.

I asked the same question in an earlier thread. We've got some on the Dart that we'll be racing this weekend at MSR, so we should be able to compare them directly to the regular RT615K.

bumping this for results..  We may be buying them for the miata for this coming race.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

I haven't driven them personally, but I crew'd for a team that ran them on their CRX at Watkins Glen 7+7 (205/50/15).  Car finished 8/24 in class on day 1, 3/24 in class on day 2.  Lap times were nearly identical both days for all four drivers.  No one complained about them getting greasy or fall off.  There was some light rain off an on, but again no complaints.  Wear looked good, no chunking or anything. 

For whatever its worth to anyone.

snowman wrote:

I haven't driven them personally, but I crew'd for a team that ran them on their CRX at Watkins Glen 7+7 (205/50/15).  Car finished 8/24 in class on day 1, 3/24 in class on day 2.  Lap times were nearly identical both days for all four drivers.  No one complained about them getting greasy or fall off.  There was some light rain off an on, but again no complaints.  Wear looked good, no chunking or anything. 

For whatever its worth to anyone.

Thanks.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

I had them at NJMP race. and they did ok. I dont think its a fare comparison in my case, cause I put 225 on the car, vs 205 bfg rival tires they competed. even though car did 1.7 sec faster a lap, the car also ran extremely well, till diff let go. compared to 205bfgs which had positive camber in front, engine cutting out, stock suspension, old shocks. I think bfg rivals actually performed significantly better.
I have them on, so I am kinda stuck with them at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:

I had them at NJMP race. and they did ok. I dont think its a fare comparison in my case, cause I put 225 on the car, vs 205 bfg rival tires they competed. even though car did 1.7 sec faster a lap, the car also ran extremely well, till diff let go. compared to 205bfgs which had positive camber in front, engine cutting out, stock suspension, old shocks. I think bfg rivals actually performed significantly better.
I have them on, so I am kinda stuck with them at the moment.

I love the Rivals!  What I don't love is the price difference.  I ordered the closeout Falkens just because $85 each after fees.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

m610 wrote:

We had them on for Sears Pointless. None of us could tel l the difference. We're not that good at this.

This was pretty much our experience at MSR. I couldn't tell a difference between the RT615K and RT615K+ in either grip or wear, but we're not very good at this either. Might be able to say more about wear comparison after the next race, maybe.

We tried a new set of the Falken's at NJ (275/40/17) but we liked our old  in Direzza ZII Star Spec ( 255 40 17) better.
The Star specs are a little more expensive. We have probably 30+ hours on the Direzza's and they still have at least one more race left on them.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I thought I heard someone say that the falkens and the star specs are the same rubber compound? Or was that the old non + version?

We ran the new + version at NJ on the saab and enjoyed them. Still enough life to do one more race, which is impressive for a car that's at 3400lbs without driver.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I thought I heard someone say that the falkens and the star specs are the same rubber compound? Or was that the old non + version?

We ran the new + version at NJ on the saab and enjoyed them. Still enough life to do one more race, which is impressive for a car that's at 3400lbs without driver.

yeah the Falkens are good, just prefer the start specs. Our car isn't  light weight either, 84 Trans Am close to 3k w/o driver.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Yeah, the old RT615K (not +) is the same rubber compound as the Direzza ZII Star Spec.

225/50/16 615k+ was less than 2 seconds a lap slower than 245/40/17 RE71R at TWS for us (both sets new and heat cycled on track before race - fast lap vs fast lap). it looks like the Falken would last more than twice as long (16 hours no problem) as the Bridgestones (which were showing lots of wear after one 6 hour race - i.e. not enough tire to start another endurance race).

Falkens were predictable and fun to drive, but the RE71R makes you feel invincible on the brakes.

2800 lb car, V8 power, moderately to stiffly sprung.  YMMV.

CBraden wrote:

225/50/16 615k+ was less than 2 seconds a lap slower than 245/40/17 RE71R at TWS for us (both sets new and heat cycled on track before race - fast lap vs fast lap). it looks like the Falken would last more than twice as long (16 hours no problem) as the Bridgestones (which were showing lots of wear after one 6 hour race - i.e. not enough tire to start another endurance race).

Falkens were predictable and fun to drive, but the RE71R makes you feel invincible on the brakes.

2800 lb car, V8 power, moderately to stiffly sprung.  YMMV.

Good info, thanks. Looks like a good tire option.