Topic: Extra cool shirt plumbing fittings @ Garrapitas / Houston June

I am building a cool shirt cooler for this weekend and just placed and order for quick disconnect fittings from mcmaster carr... P/N 5923k74 and 5923k44.... Since i was paying for next day air anyway, I ordered an extra set...  Come find me with the prop deval guys if you find yourself in a pinch, we can work out a trade for beer or bbq or something.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Extra cool shirt plumbing fittings @ Garrapitas / Houston June

That Maser avatar should be upside down, like how you fly the flag upside down during a mutiny. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

IgnoranteWest wrote:

I am building a cool shirt cooler for this weekend and just placed and order for quick disconnect fittings from mcmaster carr... P/N 5923k74 and 5923k44.... Since i was paying for next day air anyway, I ordered an extra set...  Come find me with the prop deval guys if you find yourself in a pinch, we can work out a trade for beer or bbq or something.

What size are those?  I used 3/8" tube and 3/8" MNPT out, 1/4 size coupling for the setup I built for our car (all the same size coupling and tubing as Cool Shirt uses), and those are all model # 5012Kxx.  Given the difference in part number for yours, I would worry about whether they fit "standard" systems---I'd hate to see somebody plan to use those and then find they don't fit their shirt.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Are those part numbers interchangeable with the standard cool-shirts?

Daniel Sycks

220, 221, whatever it takes.  Thanks for giving me a heart attack.

Your P/Ns and mine are on the same page in the catalog. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/182

Only difference I can tell is the one I ordered has a plastic latch and yours has metal. 

I decided on the ones I ordered because metal on plastic might not last as many disconnect cycles as plastic on plastic.

I have a factory cool shirt but building my own cooler... so I hope they fit. 

Nobody should count on me to keep them cool, but stop by if you have a need and we can test fit yours.

Off to try out a new pick up line. "Hey baby, let my try to fit my 3/8" OD in your 1/2" ID?  Come on, my ex said 3/8" is a nice size!"

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I didn't order those, but rather this one: pn 5012k83 which does indeed fit my new cool shirt.  You don't really need to get the male fittings unless you want a fancy dry break on the cooler too.  The shirt is equipped w/ two male fittings, so your DIY tubing/cooler setup just requires the two female fittings.

5012k83 has a 7/16th socket inside diameter which I believe is what matches the shirt fittings/connectors.  Also, as compared to IgnoranteWest's male connector: 5923K44, the one I bought has a stainless steel latch (not acetal) and the latch is shielded which will help against accidental disconnects.  It's only 0.50 cents more.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:

I didn't order those, but rather this one: pn 5012k83 which does indeed fit my new cool shirt.  You don't really need to get the male fittings unless you want a fancy dry break on the cooler too.  The shirt is equipped w/ two male fittings, so your DIY tubing/cooler setup just requires the two female fittings.

5012k83 has a 7/16th socket inside diameter which I believe is what matches the shirt fittings/connectors.  Also, as compared to IgnoranteWest's male connector: 5923K44, the one I bought has a stainless steel latch (not acetal) and the latch is shielded which will help against accidental disconnects.  It's only 0.50 cents more.

My cool shirt brand shirt  has  3/8" od male ends and looks way more like the picture of the 5923k44 than the 5012k83...

It's very likely that the coolshirt mfgr used both fittings and various times... we will find out tomorrow if the fittings I ordered work... either way, I ordered enough male and female fittings I will be in good shape for my own setup.  Even if I have to replace the male shirt-side connector.

And yeah, I was planning on a fancy dry break at the cooler, and a marine grade socket/plug for power so it can be unplugged and removed quickly to change ice.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

8 (edited by Mr. Wednesday 2011-06-01 09:51 PM)

IgnoranteWest wrote:

220, 221, whatever it takes.  Thanks for giving me a heart attack.

Your P/Ns and mine are on the same page in the catalog. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/182

Only difference I can tell is the one I ordered has a plastic latch and yours has metal. 

I decided on the ones I ordered because metal on plastic might not last as many disconnect cycles as plastic on plastic.

Yeah, I measured my shirt ends (Cool Shirt brand, presumably either this year's or last year's supply), came up with 7/16", and if you look at the catalog page, those are the ones with metal latches.  I actually would have preferred plastic, for the reason you gave, though looking at the things, I don't guess it will matter.

I have a factory cool shirt but building my own cooler...

I enjoyed doing mine that way.

And yeah, I was planning on a fancy dry break at the cooler, and a marine grade socket/plug for power so it can be unplugged and removed quickly to change ice.

That's what I got an unvalved male quick disconnect for... we can plug it into the tube end and use the pump to drain the cooler.  Much easier than disconnecting a bunch of stuff and pulling the cooler out, although we did use enough of that sort of stuff that we could pull it out easily enough.  The only thing that would be a bit of an annoyance would be if we burned out a pump and had to change that, as it would require splicing the wiring in the cooler.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)

9 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-06-02 03:03 AM)

Just so you know, the metal-style male connectors won't latch into the plastic female connectors. I have a medical-purpose cool system with metal connectors and I can't latch the cool pad that came with the medical system into a normal cool-shirt setup with plastic connectors. The groove that the tab latches onto is too narrow.

Erik has come the closest to this explanation.

The metal catch/release is narrower than the plastic catch/release.  Therefore the grove on the female side of the connector is narrower for the connectors with metal catch/releases.

The metal catches will work with either of the female connectors. 

The male side designed for a metal catch will not work with a plastic female catch.  The plastic catch ring of the female side is diametrically to large to fit in the grove for the catch.

Cool Shirts and Ultra Chiller shirts use the plastic catches, FAST shirt uses the metal catches.  We found this out at ECR last year.

I will be at MSR too and I've got extra Cool Shirt compatible connectors.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Crapcan racing... Its a game of sixteenths of inches...

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Recieved my order.  The parts I ordered are compatible with my factory cool shirt.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Recieved my order.  The parts I ordered are compatible with my factory cool shirt.

Great, glad to hear it!

Yeah... glad to hear it as well. With confirmation that it works with standard cool shirts I made my order.

Thanks!

Daniel Sycks

This thread is a Godsend.  Has anyone been able to find those 4-into-1 hose fittings that the Cool Shirt uses?

I've been searching for the 4 into 1 fittings as well.  I havent been able to find them, I spent a long time looking.

My backup plan was to try Azek glue (pvc foam trim board) to glue 4 smaller flex pvc tubes into one bigger one.  So far regular pvc cement works ok but is too thin, its easy to get air bubbles in the voids (v's) between the hoses. It takes a while to set up but i think it will work the best of all the pvc glues i kinow of to fill the voids.  I grabbed some gorilla pvc glue too, gonna give that a try.  I may end up having to make a 4 pin glue up jig to hold the tubes open and in place while gluing.  They slide around and collapse easily when they get soft from the glue.

Making the shirts was planned after i got the peltier stuff working. If you guys know of a link where to get those pvc manifolds that would be awesome.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

17 (edited by MikeSmith 2016-06-10 01:25 PM)

Just a heads-up for anyone reading this old thread; the Ultrachiller shirt I just received has male fittings to suit the metal (CPC PLC style) latches.

[edit] Looks like they are Value Plastics connectors from the PQC series.

priapism wrote:

This thread is a Godsend.  Has anyone been able to find those 4-into-1 hose fittings that the Cool Shirt uses?

I suspect those might be custom.  Here are some alternatives we use at work all the time:

SMC makes unions that would work just fine.
http://www.smcpneumatics.com/kq2u-uy.html

Or manifolds:
http://www.smcusa.com/products/KM-One-t … ries~21864

priapism wrote:

Just received my Coolshirt.  They just use a custom molded splitter.  I have found some Technifit and SMC "Double Y" push-to-connect fittings online, but tubing size choices seem limited.  You could just use the tubing sizes they make them with.  The only other options are to make your own manifold with a small PVC pipe with end plugs.  You could tap that for individual hose barbs of the right size for your tubing.  Or you might be able to find Reducing Y's in the right combo like these:
http://www.usplastic.com/search/default … %20reducer