Topic: Heat coatings question

Hi everyone so in our car we suffer from insanely high interior temps during the race. There is no  insulation of any sort under or in the car so it gets quite toasty inside. I run my cool suit in October at the new Hampshire race and still get out of the car pouring sweat. We are looking into getting Lizard Skin coating to apply to the car. However I would like to try and get some opinions on the matter first. If anyone has done this or any other style of heat coating please chime in. Thanks for your help/ input

Re: Heat coatings question

Q: What kind of car do you have where the engine is bleeding this kind of heat into the passenger compartment? Something mid engined?
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

We have a Datsun 280z. The manifold is on the driver side and the exhaust runs in the driveshaft tunnel right next to/ under the seat. Its much warmer than any of the other cars I have raced. Granted I do longer stints in the Datsun but its significantly hotter at the same stint time.

Exhaust wrap......
(and install a vent scoop)

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Put a heat shield between the exhaust and the bottom of the car. The OEMs do this and it seems to work for them. You could add some type of insulation between the heat shied and the floor. Thin layers of fiberglass will work.

^ This.  Don't crush the insulation.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

My SHO had the exhaust running down the tunnel. I grabbed a good sized aluminum heat shield from a 2001+ Volvo V70XC.
I added that under the car, from the firewall to as far back as it would reach. Leave and air gap between the shield and the floor.
That really helped control the heat.  Added to that was exhaust wrap.

You want to keep the heat from getting to the floor in the first place.
I think coating would be the last option.
Once the heat heats a solid surface, coated or not, connected to the passenger compartment it's going to get in.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I've had good results with coatings to control exhaust heat. Tech Line Black Satin has worked well on several cars. Just do good surface prep (sandblast with something pretty coarse) and use a cheap HF throw-away spray gun because that stuff is a mess to clean up.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

-SDR- wrote:

Exhaust wrap......
(and install a vent scoop)

Bill

Let me expand......

Heat shields will help, but depending on the shield they do more to fight radiant heating.  Fast moving air over the exhaust system and onto the firewall and tunnel will transfer a good amount of heat. A wrap will keep the heat in the exhaust system and away from the car. Once down the tunnel even a little, there is less surface area for heat to make contact.

Performance gains too????

And as mentioned, you can install a vent scoop to get air into the car.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

You might be able to make an argument that you bought this stuff for driver comfort and not the 23423432HP they add.
I had to wrap my manifolds to deal with a (lack of) hot start issue. Wrapping the headers took enough heat away from the starter that I dont' seem to have this issue anymore.

I bought some of this stuff from a different retailer (Coaler Systems) and it was 1/2 the price of the DEI titanium stuff. It worked just fine.
This price seems to be ~half the price that I paid so ti's probably worth rolling the dice on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Roll-x-2-Tita … 2436754067

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010130

The stuff you want to avoid is the white/tan coated fiberglass stuff that you have to wet before applying and then seal with silicone spray. That stuff breaks down and is a lot itchier to deal with.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4