Topic: Ford Ranger NO Bed Question

Hello Everybody,

We are a rookie team that picked up a this Ford Ranger 4.0 for 400 bucks for our first race at Thompson Motor Speedway in August.  The truck we picked up doesnt have a bed, but I can't see anything in the rules that mentions anything about it specifically.  Do we need to add a bed or do something with the back end of the truck because the bed is now gone? Also the we never got a bill of sale, we were too busy removing the infestation of ants inside to remember to get one, should I go back and get one for the judges?  Thanks

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/stano316/IMG_6161_zpsvt8qnoib.jpg

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/stano316/IMG_6159_zps4tibchkj.jpg

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

Re: Ford Ranger NO Bed Question

I see in the rules that vehicles need fenders, what constitutes a fender on a pickup? Can I tub it with a 55 gallon drum? would that count?

Hit'em With the Hein

Look at photos from last year's CT and NH races, I think there was a truck with a home-made bed on it.

Also, as much as you might want to keep it light, you need some weight back there to be stable.  Also, you can 'soften' the leafs to get better bite.

If you can, yes, get a bill of sale, but if you can't then just fake one like everyone else does..........

All that said, GET TO WORK!!!!!  Race day will be here faster than you know.

Where are you located?

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

4 (edited by -SDR- 2017-06-24 04:54 AM)

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNHF16/ … _6080.html

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Bill, We are on Long Island. I know we have a lot of work ahead of us, but I'm a school teacher, and school is out....so we have that going for us.  Lists already going, and if it wasn't for this crazy rain we are getting, we would be out there working.

We know the  lack of weight on the back is an issue, so we will have to work on that.  Thanks for the info.

Hit'em With the Hein

You definitely need fenders and some weight in back.  There have been a number of race trucks (I built a C10) and they all have issues associated with weight distribution.  Also, caging can be a bit of a challenge due to the small cabin. You can penetrate the body and have tubes on the outside (linked picture above has the main hoop outside).  Read the rules over and over and if you have any questions consult with Evil John and or HQ.  Friday tech surprises and at-track fabrication emergencies kinda suck.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

We built this one.  The bed is 1" square and angle iron with diamond plate decking, 1" square uprights.  The rear fenders are trailer fenders welded to the frame.  Tail lights are standard cheapo trailer lights. 

Caging compact trucks is a bit of a challenge, you have to build outriggers off of the frame to land the cage. 

We have serious traction issues in the rear putting power down, even with a limited slip. We even kept the trailer hitch to keep weight at the back.  We are going back to a mini spool this weekend like we used to have in the boat.  The weight in the transom of the boat at the back of the frame was helpful to give some traction. 

Better get going on the build, the race will be here before you know it!  If you have questions about caging this, let me know.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Bill and my teammate is located on Long Island if you need someone to look it over or advice I'm sure he would oblige.
Let us know...
Manny

We spent part of the day redoing all the brakes, they were in pretty rough shape, after getting them squared away we took it for spin, and those rear brakes are touchy, definitely going to find a way to put some weight on there. We have a couple of ideas. Manny where are you guys on Long Island?

Hit'em With the Hein

Manny is on crack, and I know that all the way from my house in CT......

We do have a team mate on LI though....

As mentioned, weight is important, but so is spring rate and air pressure.  The softer the spring rate, the more traction, as is the same with tire pressure, BUT everything has a 'trade-off'.  With leafs, if you go too soft they start to flex and give you handling problems.  Lower tire pressures will help accel off turns, but hurt lateral and make braking squirrelly.  And adding weight is adding weight......

You can do what you think is correct, and it might work well on the street, but will be different at full game speed.  Remember, if you remove leafs, removing the SHORT ones have MORE of an effect than the longer ones.

Set goals: 1) PASS TECH., 2) Drive it as it IS (not like a McClaren).  3) Finish the race.

Bill

You mean CT and LI are not the same? I thought they were just with a pond in between them. Lol. Yeah my main goal is to get to track and pass tech. Then survive as many laps as possible. Anything after that is Gravy. I feel doing that we will learn so much from other teams and the race itself then we can go and tinker.

The truck actually came lowered. So we don't have to do much there. We got it because the frame is cocked in the rear. So we are straightening that then onto a cage to help brace it all up and tie it together.

Some on the team are more ambitious than others and more proactive then others, but it's nice because it's a good blend. I would like to see another teams truck or car to get a idea what a finished tech passing vehicle looks like.

Thanks for all the info.

Hit'em With the Hein

WoW!
Try and help and your own Team turns on you......
Haase can you give this guy a hand if he is close by your house (which is on LI...!!!!)
So there........(Rasberry to Bill!)
Manny.

Total thread-jack but with all the truck aficionados lurking around, has anyone tried a mid-engine conversion to "fix" the weight distribution issues?

Electric Mayhem Racing

14 (edited by chaase 2017-06-26 10:49 AM)

stano316 wrote:

Bill, We are on Long Island. I know we have a lot of work ahead of us, but I'm a school teacher, and school is out....so we have that going for us.  Lists already going, and if it wasn't for this crazy rain we are getting, we would be out there working.

We know the  lack of weight on the back is an issue, so we will have to work on that.  Thanks for the info.

As others have said, you will need to have some form of a bed and fenders. Open wheel is dangerous on the track so it is very important to have fenders. I am Manny's team mate that lives on Long Island so if you need some one to eye ball things let me know. I am in East Meadow. Where are you guys working out of?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Yeah after we get the cage in, which is in order right now from S&W Race Cars, then we have an idea for a bed that should be pretty cool. S&W has one for our ranger that's Lemons specific. We are doing this at my house in Coram. So not far from East Meadow.

Hit'em With the Hein

stano316 wrote:

Yeah after we get the cage in, which is in order right now from S&W Race Cars, then we have an idea for a bed that should be pretty cool. S&W has one for our ranger that's Lemons specific. We are doing this at my house in Coram. So not far from East Meadow.

Message me via the forum and I can give you my contact info for when you need something. If you guys don't have your cage in, then you have a LOT of work ahead of you and not a lot of time left. Make sure the read the how not to fail tech post!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Thanks Chaase Message coming your way.

Hit'em With the Hein

you need to research aerodynamics and just build a fancy aero setup for back there, cause Aero wins races or something

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Like a really big wing? Lol

Hit'em With the Hein

There was a PU with a flat bed running at NJMP.  I'd want to slap a bed on it.  You need some weight back there. It's also a nice place to put your fuel cell and battery to redistribute some weight.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"