Topic: any tire restricitons?

Sorry for a possibly dumb questions but I could not find info.... are there any tire restrictions? Beyond no slicks?
We will be at Joliet for our first race and just want to make sure we are above board.
Thank you!
-Chirs

Team "Tri Lam Motorsports"
e46 325i

Re: any tire restricitons?

tread wear 190 or higher.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Treadwear is a pretty basic rule found here https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

Before your first race, you should go through ALL of the rules AND the "how not to fail tech presentation"

If you didn't find this tire rule, I'm wiling to bet there's something else on your car that will fail tech as it stands now.
Nothing would suck more than to pay Jay >$1K in entry fees just to watch other teams race and it seems like every race has at least one team battling all weekend just to get the chance to go on-track. Don't be one of those guys.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

OK OK, now I found the rule in section 2.3.
Fortunately my detail oriented team members are well informed and just gave this one simple task to me (find a second set of wheels and tires).... Me being the guy with newborn twins at home that barely has time to sleep after work and daddy duties of the day....
Guess who is really looking forward to an entire weekend with adults at the racetrack?

Thanks for your replies!!

e46 325i

To make things easier for you, search the forums and you'll find the most popular tires (depending on the diameter) are Dunlop Direzza Star Specs ZIIs, BFG Rivals, and Falken Azenis RT615K. Lots of teams use other tires and some might be better than others or offer equivalent perf for less money/tire (just google your potential cnadidate) but generally people are happy with all three of the above choices.

As far as spare tires are concerned, if you buy these tires, you will want to use them as your "primary" set. You could probably get away with keeping your other used tires as "race spares" (we did on our first race) and then the next time you decide to buy new tires, the primary set becomes your spares and your original stock ones get sold off.

This all assumes you keep the same diameter with your spare set as what's currently on the car. You could mix-match tire sizes/diameters but in the event you blow a tire, you'll have to replace them in pairs and handling will likely change.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

anacar312 wrote:

Sorry for a possibly dumb questions but I could not find info.... are there any tire restrictions? Beyond no slicks?
We will be at Joliet for our first race and just want to make sure we are above board.
Thank you!
-Chirs

How hard did you look?  A quick Google of "24 Hours of Lemons rules" resulted in this:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

You need to read the rules, this and many other possibly dumb questions you're about to ask are spelled out clearly.  wink

bs

You want to go with Douglas Xtra Trac (or Douglas Performance if you are worried about that sort of thing) tires.  Good price, long lasting keeps you in the proper class.

Really for your first race, pretty much any new tires will work.  Unless the team has raced the car before, you're going to have enough small stuff pop up that tires will be low on the list of things that you will be worrying about.

Also what kind of car?  Which Race?  Some cars like one brand of tires over others.  If you have a proper C class ride, it won't really matter, unless the track is like CMP, and you know the track is going to eat through the front left tire.

Firebelly wrote:

You want to go with Douglas Xtra Trac (or Douglas Performance if you are worried about that sort of thing) tires.  Good price, long lasting keeps you in the proper class.

Really for your first race, pretty much any new tires will work.  Unless the team has raced the car before, you're going to have enough small stuff pop up that tires will be low on the list of things that you will be worrying about.

Also what kind of car?  Which Race?  Some cars like one brand of tires over others.  If you have a proper C class ride, it won't really matter, unless the track is like CMP, and you know the track is going to eat through the front left tire.

We have a e46 325 (2002) and we will be at Joliet in July and Gingerman in October. I was tasked with finding a second set of wheels and tires for the car.... hence my dumb question.

Thank you for the advice! We do appreciate all these replies.

e46 325i

9 (edited by cabinboy 2017-06-26 04:54 PM)

Gingerman has been known to chew up left fronts as well. I think they might have repaved though so it may not be as bad.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

If they did it before Gingerman Spring no, it didn't help.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

It doesn't eat too much  tire if your piston comes apart 45 minutes in!

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

You've hit the easy button with the E46 (guilty myself with our E36) - with a good alignment and proper tire pressures tire wear probably won't be an issue regardless of the tire you run.  FWIW we got a great deal on a set of 6 Hankook R-S3, ran them at Gingerman in the spring, and loved them.  Running the same set again at Joliet.  They don't make the RS-3 anymore so when these are toast we will probably jump over to the new R-S4, or try the Azenis, or the Star Specs, or whatever's on sale.

When you read stories about bad tire wear you need to consider what car those teams are running - in many cases its cars that have, and I'm being generous here, less than ideal suspension geometry.

Electric Mayhem Racing