Re: Tow Rig Parking

The radiator was very clogged when I got it. I've flushed it a couple times and the passages are mostly clear now, but there is still a lot of scale built up. Only gets hot at sustained highway speeds, but not alarmingly hot. Getting up to 200-205 with a 180 thermostat. So maybe all it needs is some more cleaning and a fan shroud or electric fan.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

27 (edited by squirrel 2017-06-30 07:13 AM)

that's normal operating temp.

I did replace the radiator in my old truck this week, it was getting up to 220 in the relative cool of of our small town. Now it stays under 200 in the heat of Tucson.

My "fast" car gets up to 230 in the summer in the hot places....not much I can do about it, though. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Over 240, then it's a problem.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

I suppose I am just used to modern cars that don't waver on temperature. My 5.0 Volvo with a stock Volvo 960 radiator holds it's temp nicely. But I usually have the two-speed fan running constantly on low because my Ford ECU doesn't have a fan trigger.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

I discovered something interesting about the temperature gauges in some new cars...they display what the computer thinks you ought to believe the temp is. Not what it really is.

But you could hack a hole large enough for a huge modern chinese crossflow radiator, and be done with it.

squirrel wrote:

I discovered something interesting about the temperature gauges in some new cars...they display what the computer thinks you ought to believe the temp is. Not what it really is.

I'm reading the temp on the 5.0 Volvo via OBD2, the dash gauge doesn't work (was run by the Bosch ECU). The Opel runs Megasquirt and I believe that reading. The dash gauges for temp and fuel get all wonky when my headlights or turn signals are being used, temp reads high and fuel reads low. Maybe my instrument cluster has a bad ground.

I'm getting to where I appreciate the simplicity of an idiot light!

32 (edited by tomicdesu 2017-07-13 10:55 PM)

To simplify tow-rig parking, and also create an emergency Plan-B in case of spectacular engine failure, I'm thinking of setting the car up for flat towing. I have never flat towed before, but I bought a setup years back that I never even took out of the box.

My bumper mounts don't look too substantial, so maybe I can find a good place to tie it into the subframe mounts too.

https://cv15dq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mmmoFyS-Ew3FPg1xrNpWM3cR72Wf8zsuTC7rW3od5DHLt777WzTBHt9JINuE6nMTy0i7OGxPWCLzp3dJJLfE3yTeL0cGhDYckITpGu71YbzXns0d-FEVk6baGe4j10ywKuDO4q3uNuhVL8ApjQttZivSo1l6U2Xd4FNx024ifzywn5NH_DDGq4ByP7C1g-P9E2b4mqCj5vQ8Ure9T7170sw?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Red0ktober wrote:

I'm thinking of setting the car up for flat towing.

Depending on the state(s) in which you're towing, the weight of the towed vehicle, and the ratio of the weight of the towing vehicle to the weight of the towed vehicle, you may be legally required to use a braking system in the towed vehicle. It's not necessarily a bad idea anyway. I use an older BrakeBuddy but there are other systems out there as well. The RV community is a good source of information on this, as they're nearly the last bastion of flat towing in the US these days.

I decided to run a separate set of towing lights on magnetic bases, shown here on the roof, rather than mess around wiring a dual system into the original tail lights. I'd mount them lower if the car had any good flat surfaces down there but even as it is they're still within legal spec.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5818/20910123461_a225c21dbd_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I would tow with either my '03 Land Rover Discovery or a '97 Ford Explorer 5.0. The Land Rover has a good balance for towing.

My V8 Volvo also has a hitch which the little Opel is probably within the limits of. The Volvo cruises highway speeds great, but it's still mostly untuned, the suspension is shot, missing the front sway bar, and doesn't have working cruise control or air conditioning yet.

over the last decade I've seen a lot of Toyota pickups and similar stuff being flat towed along I-10, I think from CA to TX, probably on it's way to central Mexico. I never asked if they have brakes on the towed vehicle. It's always scary looking, but I guess they make it. At a nice slow pace.

On the way back from the Retreat from Moscow, somewhere in Tenessee, James (orange Chevette) and I (Lada) from separate vehicles, both observed in the opposing traffic on the interstate what we're pretty sure was either a Prius flat towing a Land Cruiser, or a Land Cruiser pushing a Prius by way of an a-frame tow-bar.
You flat-towers are probably okay.

After looking at my bumper mounts and possible subframe attachments, I'm shelving the flat tow idea. It might come back up in a couple weeks though. I have too much else to do in the meantime.