Topic: Car value? Volvo 240

I've got an old Volvo 240 wagon that's beat to heck and back, used to DD it when I was in highschool and early college.

Scrap Value is ~$180, I've had it on craigslist for $400, and I've told myself I'd take $200.

If I were to use it as a starting point for a Lemons build, what can I use as my base car cost?

Thanks!!

Re: Car value? Volvo 240

Swiftfingers wrote:

I've got an old Volvo 240 wagon that's beat to heck and back, used to DD it when I was in highschool and early college.

Scrap Value is ~$180, I've had it on craigslist for $400, and I've told myself I'd take $200.

If I were to use it as a starting point for a Lemons build, what can I use as my base car cost?

Thanks!!

I'd start selling parts off the car and document that.
However much you sell off the car, that's what i would personally claim the value of the car to be => thereby netting you a starting cost of $0.

If you showed you sold off a ton of parts off the car and "get it", I doubt you will be scrutinized much if at all. If you sold the air freshener to your wife for $500, you clearly didn't get the spirit.

Honestly, if you get laps for a Volvo 240 wagon (which I highly doubt), enjoy your race and ask for a residual afterwards.

Of course, if this Volvo already has a 5.0 or an upgraded turbo swapped in, a trick suspension and a shitty theme, expect to be sweated.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

I'd start selling parts off the car and document that.
However much you sell off the car, that's what i would personally claim the value of the car to be => thereby netting you a starting cost of $0.

If you showed you sold off a ton of parts off the car and "get it", I doubt you will be scrutinized much if at all. If you sold the air freshener to your wife for $500, you clearly didn't get the spirit.

Honestly, if you get laps for a Volvo 240 wagon (which I highly doubt), enjoy your race and ask for a residual afterwards.

Of course, if this Volvo already has a 5.0 or an upgraded turbo swapped in, a trick suspension and a shitty theme, expect to be sweated.

-g

So how much do I have to sell to net zero?
Apparently I dont "get it", haha. lol

The car value is to keep people cheating too much.

Value the car at fair market price. See if you can find a few similar and what they're selling for. Compare to what you're asking. Use that as the value. Then you can sell parts off. Read the rules front to back, they tell you what parts can be sold for recouped cost and what can't.

At the end of the day, it's a 240 wagon, you won't get sweated too badly unless you load it up with cheater suspension, and a crazy engine swap.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

The car value is to keep people cheating too much.

Value the car at fair market price. See if you can find a few similar and what they're selling for. Compare to what you're asking. Use that as the value. Then you can sell parts off. Read the rules front to back, they tell you what parts can be sold for recouped cost and what can't.

At the end of the day, it's a 240 wagon, you won't get sweated too badly unless you load it up with cheater suspension, and a crazy engine swap.

The real challenge with that is that the 240 wagons hold WAY more value than the 240 sedan or the 740 series just because they're "iconic".
Since no one has bitten on my $400-500 craigslist post, can I just start at $400?

Just show up with a near stock 240 wagon.  They won't sweat you at all, unless it's a turbo.

After the first race, email HQ and ask for a residual.  You can then move forward from there.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Do not put any effort at all into getting your value to zero.  You are never going to get hassled for a 240 Wagon.  Your biggest fight with the judges will be over what class you are in...and that will largely depend on where you are racing and how big the field is.  In California, your are most likely a class B car.  They may want to put you in A for your first race to make sure you aren't a ringer.  In smaller races you are likely class A.

None of this matters.  The journey is the reward.  Just focus on what you need to do to get through tech and have a safe race car.  Then, worry about stuff that will make the car last.  Inspect everything that can wear out.  Especially the plastic and rubber stuff.  Look at all the little things that might go wrong.  Here is a list of some of the little things that knocked us off the track at one time or another:

1.  broken alternator ground wire (stupid rubber-isolated bosch alternator)
2. broker throttle-cable-pulley bracket
3. broken throttle cable (probably damaged replacing the bracket)
4. oil fill cap fell off (it was Tom's fault)
5. bad wheel bearing
6. the light bulb wired to the exciter post on the alternator broke causing a dead battery

It's the small stuff that kills you.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

8 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2017-07-20 03:55 AM)

Judges are not worrying about a Volvo 240 unless it has small children zip tied to the roll cage

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

9 (edited by Swiftfingers 2017-07-20 05:38 AM)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll lay it all out in the next few days to see if its feasible with my funds and free time, I really hope I can do it.

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Judges are not worrying about a Volvo 240 unless it has small children zip tied to the roll cage

I believe the rules state that I can have them tied to the hood if they help improve visibility...

Swiftfingers wrote:

Thanks for the info guys, I'll lay it all out in the next few days to see if its feasible with my funds and free time, I really hope I can do it.

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

I believe the rules state that I can have them tied to the hood if they help improve visibility...

..... Wipers, Rain-X, tearoffs, small squeegee-wielding children tied to the hood, etc. are all acceptable.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Just show up with a near stock 240 wagon.  They won't sweat you at all, unless it's a turbo.

After the first race, email HQ and ask for a residual.  You can then move forward from there.

/agree

Unless you put some seriously cheaty stuff in the car, they  won't care. They will pick a class and, at worst,  dock you penalty laps for "being over", you still get to race. The rules and limits are there to prevent people from showing up with cars loaded w/high end suspension parts, cheatie engines, etc. If it is stock, they aren't going to give you much hassle.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner