1 (edited by therood 2017-07-31 10:13 AM)

Topic: IMPORTANT: WEST COAST RALLY SCORING HEADS-UP

Well, it's only important if you care about winning. That's all optional, of course. Anyway, Facebook was a total PITA for us to manage as far as scoring goes, so we'll be using Instagram and #Hashtags (god help us all) to keep track of points. We'll have more information when you sign up, but it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with IG now.

Here's the Lemons Rally IG page. We're just starting to put content up there, but your posts should be (A) easier to find for us and (B) allow you to do more creative things with video and stuff if that's up your alley. Or you can just do the basic photos.

https://www.instagram.com/lemonsrally/

It's pretty simple to use if you're not familiar, but let me know via PM here if you have questions about it ahead of time.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: IMPORTANT: WEST COAST RALLY SCORING HEADS-UP

As always, Lemons Rally Is a Learning Hospital™ so we'll probably be figuring out the fine details on our end for the first day or so, also.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

The posting account will have to be a public account (or followed by the Lemons account) to be seen.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Red0ktober wrote:

The posting account will have to be a public account (or followed by the Lemons account) to be seen.

Yeah, we can make that work. Or people can create rally-specific public IG accounts.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Well, it's only important if you care about winning. That's all optional, of course.

Oh, thank goodness. That simplifies matters immensely.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
therood wrote:

Well, it's only important if you care about winning. That's all optional, of course.

Oh, thank goodness. That simplifies matters immensely.

Because it's you, Mike, we can figure out something if you actually care about scoring points.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

...we can figure out something if you actually care about scoring points.

Thanks, but I figure I was already pushing my luck when I sought special dispensation for the inaugural rally (although I'm pretty sure Steve got a good chuckle out of it when he noticed I actually had shown up with a working Polaroid SX-70). I'm happy to take my lumps for my own pigheadedness.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Is it possible to do instagram with a flip phone?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

Is it possible to do instagram with a flip phone?

I admit my Western Electric Princess phone is the newfangled twelve-button touch-tone version, but I'm not convinced that'll cut it.

I think I only have rotaries left....

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

mharrell wrote:

I admit my Western Electric Princess phone is the newfangled twelve-button touch-tone version, but I'm not convinced that'll cut it.

I have a 16-button Autovon phone that I keep around in case I ever need to call in a nuclear strike.   And a WE 500 dial phone in case that new-fangled Touch Tone (tm) fails to catch on.

If you have a digital camera or a Polaroid or something, we can probably find a way for Old Dudes(tm) to get points or something. That means you'll have to meet up with me at not-ass-o'clock, mind you, but we can probably make it work.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

If you have a digital camera or a Polaroid or something, we can probably find a way for Old Dudes(tm) to get points or something. That means you'll have to meet up with me at not-ass-o'clock, mind you, but we can probably make it work.

Excellent!

Some of us will be worrying more about keeping our heaps running than fiddling with electronic stuff.

I have followed (paulsmercedes). My account has been public for a long time, but I have recently set it private to cut down on spam. So I can set it back to public for the rally or you'll have to follow back.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

15 (edited by tomicdesu 2017-08-01 10:27 AM)

more social media? <GROAN> but i can sympathize. maybe after the rally we can figure out what sort and flavor of shitty system might be used instead of all these spam/advertisement platforms? yes, i am offering to help. as long as i get to complain a lot, and take my share of the hyuuge corporate kickbacks I KNOW you are all partaking of.

though it has the one advantage for me that i will follow only Lemons RALLY and so it won't be filled with clutter. trying to find the good in this.

They probably want it on social media for marketing and promotion reasons too. If they wanted to keep it somewhat private, we could just use this forum...

Red0ktober wrote:

They probably want it on social media for marketing and promotion reasons too. If they wanted to keep it somewhat private, we could just use this forum...

oh good point. duh. i didnt think of that angle.  instagram might be good then. facebook was so cluttery (trying to do everything for everyone all the time).

How early on the 15th can we get out checkpoint information and hit the road?
This little detail seems to be missing from everything I've seen posted or emailed.

Both times we've been handed the package with all the checkpoints at the registration table.

gogmorgo wrote:

Both times we've been handed the package with all the checkpoints at the registration table.

Precisely what I was expecting.

The question is how early the registration table opens.

21 (edited by gogmorgo 2017-08-06 10:00 AM)

It was around 7 or so last time I think. Expect an email to come out with more specifics between now and then. It was about a week in advance last time if I remember right.

hope you got the email today? 6:30 is the time

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

squirrel wrote:

hope you got the email today? 6:30 is the time

I've been emailing back and forth with one of the organizers and I haven't received any email with that information.  Would you be willing to post the content of that email up here for those of us who seem to be out of the loop?

therood wrote:

...we can figure out something...

I'm working on convincing one of my nephews to be my co-driver. He's got, like, a cell phone and stuff.

mharrell wrote:

I'm working on convincing one of my nephews to be my co-driver. He's got, like, a cell phone and stuff.

Instagram and Google Maps!

I'm a xennial, so I'm still bringing paper.

https://c122pq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mY1WStGXWE3Kh0v9QGZXPZEZfIffSDAh-XZADAIAEzX9gLzwM8gsJ6VNQhinfaA8CD6Pa2okiZfjvPkWgkfgGTI2fZylRwBqryhggEjfDEwTa0Fo_Z3HC_kInv_WE_nyw2Ibatq0FvI-3W5HZlEuFf2_tFsVEltyY1vBZAzU2lSOyQXH47_mWp5bBEbBr1D51wquDCAaVHS1cHGG6HOg3pQ?width=1024&amp;height=768&amp;cropmode=none