Topic: Watkins Glen?

We need a race at Watkins Glen.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Re: Watkins Glen?

I second that!  I've raced there three times with Chump and it's now my favorite track, followed by Barber, then VIR.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Due to my proximity I wish we could drive COTA. Been there for HPDE and would love to see stuff blow up after T11 and brakes failing at T12.

Or how about Beaver Run?

Both have had chump races.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

PittRace (beaver Run) just finished their expansion to 2.8 miles last week so fingers crossed for 2018!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I second this

fitsbain wrote:

We need a race at Watkins Glen.

Third

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

In for Watkins Glen!

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

9 (edited by therood 2017-05-26 08:56 AM)

Watkins Glen sits on the high side of track rental. However, Jay has been willing to put down that kind of coin before for Road America so it's not out of the question so long as (A) he got a reasonable date that didn't overlap with other regular dates in the East and (B) there were indications that the turnout would merit the rental cost.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

10 (edited by VKZ24 2017-05-26 09:18 AM)

therood wrote:

Watkins Glen sits on the high side of track rental. However, Jay has been willing to put down that kind of coin before for Road America so it's not out of the question so long as (A) he got a reasonable date that didn't overlap with other regular dates in the East and (B) there were indications that the turnout would merit the rental cost.

I don't know where those figures came from, but VIR is helluva lot more than $15,500 per day.  Last time I spoke to a guy who rented WG (2 years ago) it was cheaper than VIR.

Captain

WG was recently resurfaced - maybe that factors in?

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

CPB wrote:

Due to my proximity I wish we could drive COTA.

Pony up the million or so to rent the place. I'll drag the rig 1500mi again. (well, maybe not.) DE's are relatively cheap -- fewer corner workers, fewer emergency personnel, no timing setup, etc.

('tho with a field of Lemons class C cars, you'd beat the Duff's record of slowest car to ever "race" on an F1 track. We were only remotely competitive because it was raining all weekend.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

CPB wrote:

Due to my proximity I wish we could drive COTA. Been there for HPDE and would love to see stuff blow up after T11 and brakes failing at T12.

I'd like that and Watkins Glen, but for COTA, the financial penalties for clean up of fluid or anything else me think it might not be that friendly to our kind.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

We would absolutely be in for a Watkins Glen race.  I don't think that motivating turnout would be a problem.

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

WG is 4 hours from us.  Would be so in.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We would be all over a race at the Glenn as long as it wasn't in early April like Monticello was.  I know I'm an idiot but I also miss Shenandoah, deer and all.  The Northeast is getting a little monotonous to be honest.  The new track smell is gone at Thompson.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Thompson is a bunch of drag strips with 90's at the end

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

n0m4d wrote:

We would be all over a race at the Glenn as long as it wasn't in early April like Monticello was.  I know I'm an idiot but I also miss Shenandoah, deer and all.  The Northeast is getting a little monotonous to be honest.  The new track smell is gone at Thompson.

Plus we sell out races with strong regularity, so the market is there.  NY Finger Lakes is much closer for those coming from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and really even Philadelphia than dealing with NYC traffic getting to Thompson or NH.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

19 (edited by n0m4d 2017-08-07 12:59 PM)

squidrope wrote:

Thompson is a bunch of drag strips with 180's at the end

Fixed that for you.

30 entries since 2009

I know i would have at least a 2 car team if watkins would happen.  would love another north east race

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

21 (edited by n0m4d 2017-08-21 01:13 PM)

Had a brief conversation with Jay regarding the Glenn while tech'd at Thompson.  That idea got shot down real quick.  "Never gonna happen, too crashy" is the executive summary.  Not sure what in the northeast is really not going to be "too crashy" though.  Maybe Summit Point Circuit?  WV isnt really Northeast though.

30 entries since 2009

I hear that Pitt Race is being considered seriously. I quite enjoyed it during a NASA weekend this spring, the track is lots of fun and has plenty of runoff, a big paddock, and nice facilities.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

n0m4d wrote:

Had a brief conversation with Jay regarding the Glenn while tech'd at Thompson.  That idea got shot down real quick.  "Never gonna happen, too crashy" is the executive summary.  Not sure what in the northeast is really not going to be "too crashy" though.  Maybe Summit Point Circuit?  WV isnt really Northeast though.

I driven WG three times, and I don't understand how it's "too crashy".  The only thing that REALLY sucked is at some point they (WG?) decided not to use local yellows (at least at the last race I was there) and I spent a LOT of time just riding around during FCY because of mechanical issues, not crashes.

Captain

24 (edited by littlebunnyfoofoo 2017-08-21 05:46 PM)

Last chump car race I went to there had 7 cars totalled or severely damaged.  Close walls and blind corners, both at high speeds, don't help. It's 2 hours from me and my favorite sim course, but I have no interest in racing there.

Pittsburgh is awesome though.

Pittsburgh is more Mid-West than North East.  How about we just bring back a spring event at NHIS.    Or NY safety track but that Motorcycles.  3 races in the north east that pretty much sell out should say hey lets add a 4th race like we used to have.