Topic: Fuel Cells

Has anyone rebuilt an old fuel cell.  Will that work? And how do you prove the update ?  I know Fuel cells cant' be used more than 5 years, Correct ?

Castoroil

Re: Fuel Cells

Have you read the regs for fuels cells?
3.H.2 Definition of “Fuel Cell”. For Lemons, a fuel cell has all of the following: a) a purpose-built metal container; b) deformable, puncture-resistant inner vessel and/or bladder; and c) fuel-resistant anti-splash foam.
HQ seems to only be expiration conscious on helmets and harnesses.
If by "rebuilt" you mean replace the foam, that is normal wear and tear.
If you mean replace the "deformable, puncture-resistant inner vessel and/or bladder" then I would presume
that bears the date stamp. Tech always likes new stuff.

When in doubt, email HQ your question and intent. They'll let you know exactly what they think of your paln.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Foam replacement - cheap easy.

Bladder is 5 years by most sanctioning bodies. The bladder is the $ part of a fuel cell. The enclosure (can) is cheap.

That said, in my experience in other sanctioning bodies - bladder age is usually a question that is asked and not checked. The date of manufacture is molded into the bladder on the ATL cells I use but to see it you have to remove the top.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Thanks, I'm getting a lot of info

Castoroil

The cells are typically warranted for 5 years with an opportunity for a 2 year extension upon inspection. This may be where you got your 5-year expiration idea. A few racing organizations also place this limit on their legal use in a car, but Lemons and some others seem to take a more practical approach to the matter. I have seen 20-year-old cells where the bladders and foam still looked practically new. It's like anything else... life expectancy depends on whether it was cared for and used properly. i.e. correct fuels, no long-term storage of fuel, etc. The foam should really be replaced at 5+ years of age, as it can break down and cause clogging...but again I would say have seen some 20-year old foam that looked pretty good and had not caused an issue to date. If you do have a cell that requires new foam and a new bladder...it's actually cheaper to just buy an entirely new cell if you can make one of the ATL Lemons discounted cells work for you...as the replacement bladder is very expensive on no discount on those.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.