Topic: Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage - Does the data of manufacture matter for tech

Folks,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage, with a manufacture date of 4/2012.

I was wondering whether or not any of the HNR devices have expiration dates - like harnesses?

I have done my due diligence and searched the forums - but so far - other than finding that it is (was?) considered acceptable in Lemons - I can't find anything that addresses this issue.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

James

Mod Squad Veteran (1991 Toyota MR2)
Incredibly mediocre race driver
Lemons Enthusiast!

Re: Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage - Does the data of manufacture matter for tech

You should email Lemons HQ for a questions like this.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

I'd call Simpson and ask how much it is to have it refurbed.  Since you don't know how many hits (or how big) it's taken, I'd factor in the cost of having Simpson going through it.  The straps and such have stretch built into them but once they take a big hit the stretch is gone and if you later take a hit, those straps will give like chains rather than something a bit softer.  Same reason you re-do your belts after a big crash.  Sun exposure also kills the stretch and I'm guessing that not all our precious race cars get garaged and they are seeing more legal within the rules but sun-faded belts which may be why they shortened up the time period our belts are valid for.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

jimborino wrote:

I was wondering whether or not any of the HNR devices have expiration dates - like harnesses?

SFI 38.1 certification expires after five years. FIA 8858 certification is not as straightforward but would probably be frowned upon after five years. This question came up a few months ago in an otherwise unrelated discussion of fire suppression systems:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 87#p309287

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

There is no rule stating expiration dates for these, but as mentioned above our advice should not be taken as it's pure speculation and not all tech rules are written.  Email HQ, they are amazingly quick to respond.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

There is no rule stating expiration dates for these...

Yes, there is. Rule 3.B.2 specifies that "All drivers must wear SFI 38.1-rated or FIA 8858-rated head-and-neck protection." Section 2.7 of the SFI 38.1 specification itself states that "Head and Neck Restraint Systems shall be inspected for recertification every five years after the date of original certification." So, if it's more than five years old and hasn't been recertified, it is by definition not SFI 38.1-rated.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content … 031615.pdf

The FIA 8858 specification is quite a bit messier to sort through, but if you're relying on SFI 38.1 then the answer is unambiguously five years.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I will say I've never had them look at the date of manufacture / expiration on my hans. But that does not mean it's not possible to fail tech due to an expired hans.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

We sent our HANS in for re-cert a couple of years ago.  Cheap and painless.  Turn around time was only a couple of days.  My biggest worry was the value of the package.  We sent in three devices at once.  I spent a few extra bucks at UPS to insure them for replacement value, around $2k.

Plenty of places offer the service for $$25 or so:

http://www.krjraceproducts.com/services/default.aspx

https://winecountrymotorsports.com/hans … cation.php

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-recertifications

I used KRJ to recert my HANS and I was quite happy with the service.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).