Topic: MSR camping tips and advice for noobies with families in tow

Heading to MSR this weekend and looking for any tips or advice for camping with families.  We will have a camper and several tents, should we plan on getting a spot on the grass or is there a better location?

Also, are golf carts allowed for the weekend?

Thanks for any and all information!

Re: MSR camping tips and advice for noobies with families in tow

Not sure if there is any "grass" camping.  The guy at the gate will probably try to place you somewhere on his predeteremined chart.  Just ignore him and find you an open area where you can set up.

It's usually first come first serve on the uncovered spaces.  The covered paddock is all reserved so stay out of those.  Don't block any of the rented garages either.  If you're going to run a generator, be mindful of your neighbors.  Last MSRH we were parked beside the WORLDS LOUDEST generator. 

They shouldn't have a problem with your golf cart as long as you don't make an ass out of yourself with it!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Yeah, I don't know of any grass areas that are available for camping. I'd plan to set up on pavement and bring good sleeping pads or cots.

Golf carts are fine, just keep in mind that the paddock speed limit applies to them just like it does to race cars. And like other motorized conveyances, they can't be used later than 30 minutes after the checkered flag.

There is grass at the asphalt's edge way to the left after you ignore the person trying to 'park' you. It means pitting out in the boonies if you want to sleep near your car and stuff.

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

Thanks for the info guys, any thoughts on renting a paddock or garage for the weekend?

If you haven't done so by now, assume you probably can't?

My experience at other tracks is they usually get got pretty quickly after the "You're In" eMails drop.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Link for covered paddock and garage rental here. You have to register an account on the site.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/le … ton-589168

It's telling me it's too late to update my registration, but you might be able to add a new one if there are open spots (there were quite a few covered paddock spots left when I signed up a few weeks ago). If not, call the track during business hours and ask for Sydney. Office number's on the track website (msrhouston.com).

Bump. Am hoping to make the Nov. race my first Lemons race. Post all of your good and bad advice here.

Weather is typically cool but possibly wet, so plan accordingly. As stated above, grass spaces for tents are only available on the far edges of the paddock. Bring something for the potluck, which is usually Friday night in the inspection area/penalty box.