Re: IMPORTANT: WEST COAST RALLY SCORING HEADS-UP

*Arrival Notes for Lemons Hell on Wheels, Monterey Car Weak*

*It’s Rally Time!! *

*We will be launching from Laguna Grande Regional Park in lovely Seaside CA. 1193 Canyon del Rey Blvd (across from the City of Seaside City Hall/Police Department)*

*Arrivals Begin at 6:30 am, Tuesday Aug 15.*

*Registration 7-9am. (If you are not going to make it by 9, let us know as soon as possible, we will work something out.)*

*When you arrive you will be directed where to park and given a Rally Registration Form.  Please fill in the required information, legibly, then place it on your windshield, under the wiper. *

*Eventually, you will be visited by an Official Rally Official, who will award your Initial Pre-Rally Points. *

*You will then Visit the Registration Table to show your Proof of Insurance, Registration and Drivers License.*

*When this is complete, you will receive your Route Book package and hit the road. *

*And there is a LOT of road………*

*Let me know if you have any questions.*

*See you soon……. Steve*
I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

deLorme is the shit. got WA waiting for the orgone one to show.it late!

i keep tapping my finger on the cover and it won't open. and i want to do an update to it before i leave, but it's not responding. oh well, i'll have to throw it in a stream somewhere and buy a new one.

We've got our Benchmark Atlases - we find them more accurate, with ALL the roads....plus, they're that cool black color....

My Washington atlas is a different brand, I found it in the middle of the road during my Washington Backcountry Discovery Route motorcycle trip a couple years ago.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

I stopped by the Friends of the Library book store a few days ago, and picked up some old Western US maps. They should have all the older highways on them.

old maps are often better maps. like everything else, in the last 10 yrs or so large publishing megacorps bought up all the competitors, merged them, dropped a lot of information, and eliminated competition. old maps have data that is NOT on new maps. (new maps sometimes have corrections and new roads etc, but roads don't change much and urban roads are no fun to drive on and google maps is better for urban).

old nuke test sites, mines, crazy roads, dead businesses, old towns, maps are great. ive been scouting maps from the 40's (local and abebooks.com) and wow it's like another world.

i started doing this in the 70's when i found an old map that had on it a single word: CRATER. wtf! i lived in massivetwoshits at the time, it seemed so exotic. now i'm positively BORED by craters, there's so many out here (south west).

benchmarks are good, i have some of those.

one camping/road trip i actually forgot my sleeping bag! then almost ran over one in the road, musta fell of someone's truck.

the road will provide!

Well how about that, my Washington atlas is a Benchmark, 2013 edition. Looks like someone paid $19.99 for it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

https://enjkjw.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4m6mM0RrR-0qejE9ei6KrhtHNpC6E1e_RprKbZYbWi4W_GWtVcd0_yV9ULlO2smZNof0vJiEmA-uX_OcfXGkxHh2f_cZtFdnjgJyU8tmbwXsv2RK_LyWfx9qfldQpYv8rid5lfqM0yLC1bP9X79OYZ8AB4u-fGya9-uc7wdWhAJPazIixBqQERkmY--qcs4K9Ch_pqzQTADNPaQgNk9GAinA?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

33 (edited by gogmorgo 2017-08-10 04:55 PM)

I've recently become introduced to the maps.me app. Download and cache all the maps you've got space for, and it'll GPS you into it (assuming your phone has the tech... Lol). It's even got hiking trails, and stuff like that on it.
The downside is the maps themselves do take up a lot of storage space, but there's a ton of data, all of it available offline. It also looks like the maps are open-source, meaning anyone can add things (new roads, trails, etc) to them. And did I mention it's all offline? I used it the other week to help pick the best route through a loose scree field on a very steep mountain peak, because the trail data was so accurate. Seems like a ton more precision than the Google maps gps tracker as well. Plus since it's offline it feels a ton less like big brother's watching your every footstep.

google maps also lets you download the route info, so you can find things when you're away from service. But the paper maps are still so fun...especially folding them back up when you're done

I have Garmin GPS as well, but those are packed with so many "points of interest" that it is difficult/slow to search for food/gas/etc. But it's good for offline navigation. Also makes for good speedometer verification. The Waze app is pretty good too.

i <3 google maps, urban-wise, but on the open road, i hate staring at a tiny little squinty LCD. daylight, body on the road and in the world, big old physical maps just feel and handle better. i've got Locus maps and all the states downloaded, but i've done side-by-side on various trips. the phone apps sort of anonymously encourage constantly glancing at the phone thinking "where am i now?" etc and when i'm on the open road the answer is "RIGHT FKN HERE! lol. paper basically wants you to pull over, plot and think your route, fold up and drive. i like that better, ymmv, each their own, etc. this is purely personal preference, we each prefer our own kinks!

Whatever my navigator wants, he can use.

tomicdesu wrote:

i <3 google maps, urban-wise, but on the open road, i hate staring at a tiny little squinty LCD. daylight, body on the road and in the world, big old physical maps just feel and handle better. i've got Locus maps and all the states downloaded, but i've done side-by-side on various trips. the phone apps sort of anonymously encourage constantly glancing at the phone thinking "where am i now?" etc and when i'm on the open road the answer is "RIGHT FKN HERE! lol. paper basically wants you to pull over, plot and think your route, fold up and drive. i like that better, ymmv, each their own, etc. this is purely personal preference, we each prefer our own kinks!

My feelings exactly.   But then, I'm a dinosaur.  smile

GPS is nice for getting to the motel at the end of the day, but the rest of time I prefer paper maps.
My gods for the rally are AAA, DeLorme, and Thomas Bros.   Last year, all my electronics shut
down in Death Valley due to the heat.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

i dropped in to the local big AAA office yesterday. it's a whole building filled with people doing shit about/for/with cars. could be a lot worse. i got a pair of new maps (CA, OR+WA) even though i didn't need them. gonna leave the atlases at home, they're bulky.

michealmottiff wrote:

When does this rally start? in which season? month? and any specific criteria to get inn?

It was in mid-August. Lemons schedule should be out this week for 2018 with rallies and races both on it.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

It was in mid-August. Lemons schedule should be out this week for 2018 with rallies and races both on it.

Where is the schedule???? I'm dying here!

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I'm guessing the rally is the week before pebble beach, aug 26th?

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

cabinboy wrote:
therood wrote:

Where is the schedule???? I'm dying here!

Waiting on dates from some of the franchisees.

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

I'm guessing the rally is the week before pebble beach, aug 26th?

First two rallies are basically the same dates. Third one is the surprise. Start saving your vacation time now.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Third one is the surprise.

Cuba?

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

therood wrote:

First two rallies are basically the same dates. Third one is the surprise. Start saving your vacation time now.

I'll have you know that my company is giving me an extra two weeks vacation just to do the rally. Bring it on!

therood wrote:

AlCan Highway maybe?

1983 Mercedes 300D: Das Blaue Biest - Car Weeeeak 2017 Rally.
1995 Ford Thunderbird: The Turdbird - Car Weeeeak 2018 Rally
2006 Ford Crown Vic: 5150Vicky - 2018 Gambler 500 Rallys
IG: lamborgotti_fasterossa

Route 66 Chicago to Santa Monica!  Hell Yeah!

And we're up!

Maybe if my job/financial situation starts to suck less, or if I find a satchel full of money in a field and can avoid Javier Bardem long enough, I can go pick up one of those Allstates in my hometown and run Route Sucky Suck.

Lemons Rally to San Diego, thanks Lemons staff for making it an easy sell! San Pedro to Yuma via Ramona. Done and done. Get you some Julian pies!